Should I pack a bed rail?

carriebryce

We are sailing on Legend in a Category 8C balcony cabin. My kids will be 2 and 4 at the time. One of them will have to sleep on the upper bunk above the sleeper sofa, and I'm concerned about him falling out since they wiggle around in their sleep so much.

Does anyone know how big the rail is on these beds? Should I pack a travel bed rail (if I can find one that fits with the existing rail)? I was also considering buying a toddler sized air mattress and avoiding the bunk bed all together, but all of this seems like it will take up valuable suitcase space. Would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

I've slept up top, and I wouldn't feel safe putting such young children up there. I'm not sure that the rail is all that wide. Certainly for me it was not a problem..but a 2-yr old can be quite small.

Perhaps you could ask your steward to bring in a small cot. If your 4-yr old is a decent size..he/she should be okay up there.

Hope that helps!

Joyce

I would also pack a portable bed rail. The rail is thin, small, and shaky - I wouldn't trust it with a restless sleeper if it was a small child. When dd18 was 4, she always had the top bunk on a cruise - but she was like a rock when she slept- no rolling around or movement.

On the destiny this fall we put our almost 2 year old on the sofa. We spun it around so that the front was against the wall and our cabin steward made it up very nicely for her every night. She was very cozy in there and htere was no way she was going to fall out. It worked out great!

with 2 and 4 year old-- I would use the sofa= ask for an extra comforter to put on the floor- Use the upper bed for storage-- there will be two drawers under the sofa for storage also.

The sofas are the convertible type- the backs come off andits made into a bed. I dont know how the above person turned it around. (unless they had a love seat type and it was not a true sofa bed.)

I wouldn't put kids that little in an upper. Risk of serious injury if they were to fall. Our 4 year old will be on the convertible sofa next month.

We'll still be taking a portable bed rail with us. I can't speak highly enough of this one, from One Step Ahead:

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=535798&cmSource=Search

Inflatable, so it takes very little space in the suitcase when deflated. It comes with a portable foot pump, but it's easy enough to inflate by mouth in about 5 minutes.

We've used this at relatives' houses to allow my daughter to sleep in a regular twin bed without any worry of falling out. Great investment!

Here is something they had on the Triumph. It looks like it could be helpful in your situation.

Triumph is a ship that allows rollaway beds/cots.

Th Legend is not o they will not be available on that cruise

I noticed that Legend does not have 8C cabins with a double convertible sofa. So that is not an option. You might want to ask Carnival directly if they have a child safe rail or some other alternative on Legend. If they can't help you before the cruise you might have some luck asking your cabin steward.

On the destiny this fall we put our almost 2 year old on the sofa. We spun it around so that the front was against the wall and our cabin steward made it up very nicely for her every night. She was very cozy in there and htere was no way she was going to fall out. It worked out great!

Does anyone know if this would be possible on the Splendor?

There would be no way we would either... he is in a crib and hasn't even thought about trying to climb out. We will likely bring down a pack and play so that he still has insurmountable barriers... we don't want him picking up any bad habits on the cruise!! :D

I was just curious about the flipping the sofa option. I thought the rear cusions were just there without support.... basically using the wall because they could be removed for the 3rd pax to sleep on it. I never even thought about moving it...

Anybody know what the sleeping situation is like on the Conquest in an inside cabin? We are cruising with our 3 and 5 YO boys in just a few weeks. They are both crazy sleepers-- I'm still not sure how we're going to work out the situation b/c I don't know if we'll have one sleeper sofa and one bunk or two bunks! Any info would be really appreciated! --Katie

Anybody know what the sleeping situation is like on the Conquest in an inside cabin? We are cruising with our 3 and 5 YO boys in just a few weeks. They are both crazy sleepers-- I'm still not sure how we're going to work out the situation b/c I don't know if we'll have one sleeper sofa and one bunk or two bunks! Any info would be really appreciated!

Conquest has a number of different interior configurations. If you look at its deck plans you will see that some cabins have 2 upper, 1 upper, 1 upper w/single convertible sofa, and double convertible sofa.

Conquest has a number of different interior configurations. If you look at its deck plans you will see that some cabins have 2 upper, 1 upper, 1 upper w/single convertible sofa, and double convertible sofa.

Thanks! It looks like we have 2 uppers. . . I think we may just bring sleeping bags for the kids so we don't have to deal will moving mattresses. --Katie

Another vote for the portable rails here! We used them with our youngest when she slept topside. Ours was from the SAFETY 1ST company:

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Safety_1st_Portable_Bed_Rail

It fit nicely "over" the existing tiny-little Carnival bed rail, and provided a barrier that was nearly the length of the bunk.

Totally recommend it!

CeleBrat

Archived