Room Service Question

Choinski

What's the turn-around time on Breakfast room service?

My strategy was to pretty much wake up, have breakfast quickly and disembark at the earliest time, usually 7 or 8 AM.

Can breakfast be pre-ordered the night before?

You'll get a card that you can hang on your outside door knob that allows you to pre-order breakfast within 15 min. windows - 6:30-6:45, 6:45-7:00, etc.

As far as how long it takes if you wait to call in the morning, it all depends on how busy they are.

Roz

If there aren't some cardboard breakfast order cards in an obvious place in your cabin, look in the black binder that has all kinds of info in it. Sometimes the cards are in there. If you don't find any in your cabin, ask your cabin steward for some.

You then check off the items you want (you can write in items from the room service menu if you wish), check the 30-minute period when you want it delivered and hang it outside your door before you go to bed.

Your order will be delivered during the time period you requested. Ours was usually delivered at the beginning of the time period.

The first breakfast time is 6 AM.

Sometimes they get a lot of orders so don't expect it to be delivered right at the time you request.

Also -- don't expect to leave the ship between 7 and 8 AM.

First the ship must be completely cleared. Then the self disembarking passengers can leave.

The other passengers usually start to disembark around 8:15 -- the day before you will get a letter indicating what time you can leave the ship. Everyone is assgined a time according to their arrangements that they have made for going home.

Also -- don't expect to leave the ship between 7 and 8 AM.

First the ship must be completely cleared. Then the self disembarking passengers can leave.

The other passengers usually start to disembark around 8:15 -- the day before you will get a letter indicating what time you can leave the ship. Everyone is assgined a time according to their arrangements that they have made for going home.

What about in ports of call? If we are scheduled to arrive at a port at 8:00am, how soon could I expect to be on shore?

You'll get a card that you can hang on your outside door knob that allows you to pre-order breakfast within 15 min. windows - 6:30-6:45, 6:45-7:00, etc.

As far as how long it takes if you wait to call in the morning, it all depends on how busy they are.

Roz

Did things change recently? The room service delivery times used to be in increments of 30 min. i.e. 0630-700, 0700-0730, etc.

I may have mis-remembered - I've only used the card three times in my entire cruising life! I do know you can select an approx. time, but now I'm not sure whether it's every 15 min. or every 30 min.. I know my breakfast on my last cruise came way early, and I wasn't even out of bed. :eek:

Roz

I may have mis-remembered - I've only used the card three times in my entire cruising life! I do know you can select an approx. time, but now I'm not sure whether it's every 15 min. or every 30 min.. I know my breakfast on my last cruise came way early, and I wasn't even out of bed. :eek:

Roz

That's breakfast in bed for ya, literally!;) Pretty sure it's a 30 min window

I suppose the occasionally late delivery is inevitable. After it happened to us once, we just ordered breakfast for the moment we wanted to wake up ( about one/half hour earlier than we otherwise would have) and interrupted our dressing, if necessary, to eat it.

What about in ports of call? If we are scheduled to arrive at a port at 8:00am, how soon could I expect to be on shore?

You can leave when the ship is cleared by the Port Authority or Customs Authority from the port you are visiting. That time is usually (and I stress usually) between 30 and 45 minutes after the ship is docked. If the ship docks at 8:00 AM, for example, you should be able to disembark around 8:30-8:45AM.

But - be prepared to expect delays. A delay can be caused by weather conditions, delay in clearing customs for that port (the ship, not you personally), and tender problems (if you are tendering.)

The ship does everything it can to assure that passengers are on shore as quickly as possible. The ship is at the mercy of the visiting port and/or "Mother Nature", so don't blame the captain or the cruiseline if you can't disembark as soon as you'd like.

Relax & have a great cruise. Learn to roll with the punches & you will have a wonderful trip and smooth sailing! :D

Be aware though......

At least on our Black Sea cruise those on independent tours were not allowed to leave the ship until the ships tours had all left. In Israel this resulted in a delay of almost an hour and a half and it varied from spot to spot. When we tendered in Sochi it was nuts.

A discussion with Seattle confirmed that this was what they do THOUGH if you had a special circumstance (meeting a relative at a certain time for example - wink/wink/nudge/nudge) speak to the Cruise Director who will make arrangements to get you off the ship as soon as it is cleared.

Cabin Breakfast Menu

Preferred Time Frame

6 AM - 6:30 AM

6:30 AM - 7 AM

7 Am - 7:30 AM

7:30 AM - 8 AM

8 AM - 8:30 AM

8:30 AM - 9 AM

9 AM - 9:30 AM

9:30 AM - 10 AM

Juices

Grapefruit; Orange:; Cranberry; V-8; Prune, Tomato

Fresh Fruit

Half Grapefruit; Sliced Bananas; Diced Oranges; Mixed Fruit; Seasonal Melons; Stewed Prunes

Low Fat Yogurt

Plain; Fruit

Breads

English Muffin; White Toast; Wheat Toast; Rye Toast; Danish; Croissant; Blueberry Muffin; Bran Muffin; Bagel

Preserves

Assorted Jams; Marmalade; Honey; Butter; Margarine; Cream Cheese

Cereals

Corn Flakes; Special K; Mueslix; Raisin Bran; Granola; Fruit Loops; Frosted Flakes; Rice Krispies; Shredded Wheat

With: Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk

Eggs & Meats

Two Eggs: Scrambled or sunnyside up or over easy

Omelet: With Cheese or With Ham and Cheese

Eggbeaters: Scrambled or Omelet with Cheese or Omelet with Ham and Cheese

Meat: Ham or Sausage or Bacon

Beverages

Regular Coffee; Decaf Coffee; Tea; Hot Chocolate; Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk; Half & Half

If you can wait until the main dining room opens -- usually 7:30 on port days and 8 on sea days, you can write in anything you want like Eggs Benedict. Waffles, Chocolate croisonts, etc.

On all of our HAL cruises the breakfast hangtag has been on our bed with the nightly chocolates and the next day's schedule.

You can also write in other items..................like, I like the raisin buns.:p

Sometimes they come early..................eek!................so, I keep an envelope of one dollar bills taped inside the closet door and it's easy to grab some for a tip!

Enjoy your 24/7 free room service and be sure to, at some point, order the club sandwich; it's awesome!

Archived