How do I get a Lounge Chair by the pool?

Beaches n cream

I think those who have not been on a cruise should modify their comments until they can speak from experience.

LOLOLOL - one needs experience to comment on lounge chair availibility?!?!? :D I have sat on one, does that count as experience? Too many people wanting to use limited resources is not exclusive to cruise ships. <still chuckling>

I guess there are a few kind of people. It's like anything good in life, it all depends how bad you want it. So if your willing to get up early to get a chair by the pool, you must really want it more than the casual person who stops in at peak pool time and expects to find a chair by the pool. So I guess thoose people should have the chair, but decent people will not dissapear and still hog the chair, and remove their stuff when done. (I know you can find chairs all over the ship and the sun's no good for you etc. but I have noticed that if it means that much, a lot of the newer ships are starting to design the pools a lot better with more seating. (Now if I could figure out how to get thoose screaming kids to stop having fun and just sit there)

Just wanted to add my two cents. in 2000 my husband were on our honeymoon (not our first cruise) on Princess, and we go out to sit in the sun about 10:00 a.m. We had been up since 6 watching the sun rise in the hot tub. We walked the entire ship several times and saw so many people hogging chairs. By hogging I mean they had 6 or more chairs reserved and no one sitting there. So eventually we see these 2 rows of chairs on this far away part of the ship where no one had been the entire time we were cruising for chairs. So we moved the 2 towels over to some of the other chairs and plunked ourselves down.

About 30 minutes after that a woman came up and started giving us a hard time. Then she went and got a pool attendant (we were so far away from the pool). And we politely told him that she was the one who was being unfair. He asked us to move and he definitely was taking her side. We declined to move and we harassed by the woman and the 17 teenagers (that she magically rounded up as soon as we got there) the rest of the day. It made us really uncomfortable and felt like we were hiding from these people the rest of the cruise.:(

When we returned home, I was relaying what happened to our friend and travel agent. She is an extremely experienced cruiser and is married to a purser on a Princess ship. She said that if you get your stuff out there at like 7:30, no one from the cruise line would move your things, despite what the signs say.

Had we known that we might have put our towels down at 6:00 when we were at the hot tub.:p

Since that incident wehave cruised several times and have had better experiences on every subsequent cruise, but we just make sure that we we either 1) get out there early and literally park ourselves there, or 2) sit in an "undesireable" location.

Bottom line is if you want a chair in a specific location, get out there early and be there!

Hmmm...I don't usually reply to chair hog threads....mainly because

I am not one to sit out but in this case I have to say something.

Bobby, you think there should be a time limit on how long you are allowed

to lay out?:eek:..seriously? Maybe my elevator doesn't go all the way

to the top and I am not the brighest one in the bunch but I have to

say that makes absolutely no sense to me.:confused:....if you are laying out

and there are folks looking for a place to sit....those laying out should

get up after 2 hours?

I don't think chair hogs are people who are using their chairs.

I always thought a chair hog was when an item such as a towel

or book is on the chair WITHOUT a person...for an hour or so....

but then again, what do I know?:rolleyes:

You and I are on the same elevator, Lois:D!! Okay, this is how it would work if Bobby was in charge....

First, anyone who wishes a lounge chair puts their name in the drum at embarkation. The CD spins the drum and starts pulling names. Ahh, he announces...6-8 A.M. The following cruisers get to sit. 8-10 A.m. These lucky souls get to pick a chair. 10-noon (woohoo, really lucky souls) get their chairs. The next group and so on. :rolleyes:

Now for the good part..... among each timed group, there will those who rush out a half hour early to stand next to the chair they want during their time period...only to shade the "rightful" sitter. Those people will be now known as "chair lurkers". Ahh but that's the solution to Bobby's defined "chair hogs" !!:D

Oh wait, if you want to make some money, you could always sell your winning lounge ticket on the black market and pay for those specialty dinners!

I've avoided clicking on this thread for days now, because I figured it was just another "chair hog" thread that I didn't need to read. But 100+ posts and days later, I finally was wondering why this thread still is near the top. Wow, this Bobby character is a hoot. I wonder if he's the type of person to argue just for the sake of arguing. Let's say he is having a great time enjoying the Caribbean sun, sipping on his pina colada, reading a great novel, watching the pool games, etc.... after two hours does he look at his watch and decide that it's time to let one of the other thousands of passengers have his great lounger right next to the pool? I think not.

I'm guessing Bobby

a) doesn't really care about sitting out in the sun

b) is one of those people who get to the pool at 1 pm on a 90 degree sea day and is pissed off that he can't find a lounger

c) was captain of his debate team

There is nothing in the Celebrity rules that says you can only sit at a lounger for x number of hours. There is a rule saying that you can not reserve a chair simply by throwing down a towel. After paying so much money for a cruise, I would expect to be "allowed" to enjoy my lounger for as long as I wanted.

This is not like the gym, where there are only 15 or so treadmills, and there is a 30 minute time limit imposed if there are people waiting. There are hundreds and hundreds of loungers. I think most everyone here on this thread would agree that a treadmill and a lounger are not equal.

I find it interesting that the people most of you define as "Chair Hogs" never post on these "Chair Hog" threads, but I've certainly touched a nerve by suggesting that another form of "Chair Hog" exists.

To all of you who have used a phrase similar to "according to Bobby," or "if Bobby were in charge," let me clue you in. It was just a suggestion, and hopefully the opening salvo in a discussion aimed at solving a frequently asked question, which was the question asked by the OP. I never suggested that it was a rule, and only hoped that the suggestion of fairness might actually bring out the better person in all of us. I certainly never suggested all of the variations on a theme that have been attributed to me.

Here is what I consider a reasonable alternative to my suggestion. You're entitled to one and only one chair for as long as your behind is parked in it. Just like the filabuster. Use it or lose it. If you leave to get food, or use the restroom, or take a swim, then you've given up the seat. No need for timing, and running to a lounger monitor. If the chair doesn't have a person in it, then the chair is open for business, and first come first served.

Now, before the flaming begins anew, let me reiterate: THIS IS ONLY A SUGGESTED ALTERNATIVE. It appears that absolutely nobody is willing to offer any other solution beyond, "Get there at 7 a.m., mark your territory, and it's yours for the day, as long as you're never gone more than 30 minutes.

Here is how that can be abused, and I'm certain that many have done so. I stake out that perfect spot at 7 a.m. An hour later I head to the buffet for some food, having set my timer for 30 minutes, I return just in time and with breakfast in hand. I enjoy my breakfast, and an hour later decide it's time for a bathroom break. The timer is set and I return 30 minutes later. I warm up for an hour and then hit the pool for a refreshing dip, but make sure I'm back in my chair before 30 minutes expire. I warm myself and after an hour decide that it's time for lunch. It's off to the buffet or grill for some food, making sure that I return within 30 minutes. By now it is 1 p.m., and I've occupied the lounger in question for six hours, but I'm no "Chair Hog," because I'm following some arbitrary "30 minute" rule. I have actually been in "my" lounger for 4 hours, and been away for 2 hours, but I'm not a "Chair Hog." The same sort of action continues for the next four hours, with breaks for bathroom, swimming and snacking thrown in.

Of course, there is no rule that says you have to occupy the lounger for an hour between each 30 minute break, so I might be in the chair for 30 minutes and gone for 30 minutes, just so that nobody else can have "my" chair or suggest that I'm a "Chair Hog."

As for the person who suggested the following:

"I'm guessing Bobby

a) doesn't really care about sitting out in the sun

b) is one of those people who get to the pool at 1 pm on a 90 degree sea day and is pissed off that he can't find a lounger

c) was captain of his debate team"

a) I enjoy a little time in the sun, but I don't mind sitting in the "less desirable" locations. It tends to be quieter.

b) If I get to the pool at 1 p.m., it means that I'm missing lunch, and I don't like to miss lunch. I normally find the pool after I've been in the sun in one of those "less desirable" locations. See my previous post where I said I don't mind making the long walk from one location to the other, which is probably good for me.

c) I never bothered with the debate team, because I'm actually more interested in a spirited discussion than I am in winning an argument.

What truly interests me is fairness. Are any of you interested in offering a fair alternative, or is flaming me the only joy you get in life?

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. Happy Valentines Day to all who have ever been lucky enough to spend time cruising.

Bobby, you are getting the "attention" because you have taken it upon yourself to redefine "chair hog".

No one here ever considered someone who enjoyed reading a book, napping, listening to music,visiting with spouse or friends, in the sun or in the shade, a chair hog. We define it totally different.

There is no feeling, at least from me, that to give up my R&R on a deck chair is the "right" and necessary thing to do. I get out to a chair about 11:00 and sit until 3:00 on a sea day. In turn I give up the other ship activity options that might keep others away from the outside decks. I stay in my chair, except for a walk, a bathroom break or a quick salad....none which take more than 20 min or so.

No "solution" to my use of the chair is really needed. I'll continue to find the chair I need, move it to where I'd like it (if needed) and enjoy my day without feeling a pang of guilt. Heck, I might even enjoy a couple margaritas as I watch the true chair hogs' personal items being removed after a couple hours by the pool steward. ;)

I have mostly cruised with Princess and they have the same problem. Some people become aggressive, stacking out "their" chairs before breakfast then not arriving until late morning. I have tried talking with deck attendants as suggested previously with no joy.

We are sailing in a few days on X-Century. Hopefully they do a better job than Princess in this area.

I just got off the Mercury and the those invisible loungers were everywhere. On the first sea day coming back home, they had put towels out on the chairs by the indoor pool around 730. I watched, and over an hour later, those invisible loungers were still in the chair and had not yet taken on a more visible form. No one did anything or took the towels off the chairs. During sea days, the lounge chairs on deck 12, above the pool, were usually available until early afternoon and I much preferred that deck as you could look out at the sea. Al the "reserved seats" on deck 11 only looked at the pool and other loungers.

What truly interests me is fairness. Are any of you interested in offering a fair alternative, or is flaming me the only joy you get in life?

You seem to be having some difficulty accepting the fact that there is no need for "a fair alternative" because the policy, perfectly clear in its current state, is already fair. Saving lounges is not permitted - period, end of story. If all pax honored that policy and if the cruise line did its part to insure everyone's cooperation, chair hogs would be a non-issue and a thread such as this would be a non-starter. That's the whole deal in a nutshell; there's no need to muddy it up by offering solutions for ancillary non-issues perceived by no one other than you.

Happy cruising.

You seem to be having some difficulty accepting the fact that there is no need for "a fair alternative" because the policy, perfectly clear in its current state, is already fair. Saving lounges is not permitted - period, end of story. If all pax honored that policy and if the cruise line did its part to insure everyone's cooperation, chair hogs would be a non-issue and a thread such as this would be a non-starter. That's the whole deal in a nutshell; there's no need to muddy it up by offering solutions for ancillary non-issues perceived by no one other than you.

Happy cruising.

Very well stated.

after checking in and checking out our room we always head to the pool and grab a couple of lounge chairs to take back to our room

each day we simply bring our own chairs to the pool and take em back to our room when we are finished

no problem at all with hogs

after checking in and checking out our room we always head to the pool and grab a couple of lounge chairs to take back to our room

each day we simply bring our own chairs to the pool and take em back to our room when we are finished

:d:d:d:d

This is never a problem for me or my friends. We've taken 7 cruises on Celebrity and whenever we go to the pool we just take a chair that doesn't have anyone sitting on it. If there is a towel on it, we remove it and just sit down. Nobody has ever asked us to move, or said it was their chair.

Whoa boy! Now you may have started something!!!:D

Experienced and reasonable cruisers:

1) know a chair hog situation when they see it.

2) are respectful of others and their belongings.

3) will use a chair when it's obvious others but their belongings there

hours before. In addition, they will turn the "hog's" stuff over to the pool

butlers or place it where the owners will find it. If they are not

comfortable doing this, they will find the pool butler to do it for them.

4) will let their chair neighbors know that they are off for a short break

(restroom, buffet, pool area, hot tub...,). In addition, they will leave

enough personal stuff + their towels to let others know the chair is

occupied.

5) When they are done with that chair, they will collect everything,

including their wet towels and place it in the bins provided.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

occupied.

Enjoy!

i always do 4 and 5. so many people leave the towels. i tried with 3 but the pool butlers will not touch anytihng.. i lamsot ahd to but found achair near the track and could move it out of the runners way and still have sun.

occupied.

Enjoy!

i always do 4 and 5.. 3-wel, the pool butlers will not touch anything. i finallkly found a chair and was able to keep it in the sun without being on the track or in the shade.

Archived