Am I searching for a dinosaur?

millercat

I am looking for an "outfit" preferably carpris that is not the polyester Blair type. (not that there is anything wrong with that if it suits you, definitely not my style) I am in my 50's and can remember not so long ago when you could buy really cute, casual to dressy 2 piece sets, skirts with a top or capris with matching top. I really don't want to do the mix and match or coordinates, I really would like to see an "old fashion" what I would consider an outfit. Can any one help??

Thanks,

Laine

I haven't seen any "sets"....at least, not in the last couple years!

What's the problem with getting some nice fitting capris and a top to go with it? That would look "younger" than a "set" anyway! (I'm in my 50's, too, and that's the way I'd go!)

Rawr! Was I scary this time? (sorry...animated movie reference)

I think sets are cute! Maybe I'm old fashioned, too. (I'm 47)

I went looking, and I saw a couple on the Sears website. I'm sure they are around in stores where you shop for affordable basics, like Sears, Walmart, K-mart.

Forgive me, but I'm just not understanding why you need to have the top and the bottom come as an outfit? There are plenty of seperates or coordinates that when put together make an outfit and in the end, the look is the same.:confused: The beauty of seperates or coordinates is you can get a smaller or larger size, if needed, of either the top or the bottom and not be "locked" into the one size of the outfit.

Depends on the size you need. I know there is an online/catalog with womans sizes they carry from 12w to 44w. It is billed as Plus sized clothes but I think that is because they go up to the larger ones.

WOMANWITHIN.COM

They usually carry sets. Some of them are cute. I wear a 4 petite so it doesn't work for me. However I have bought a few things from them for my daughter.

thanks everyone! I wish I could explain it better. I have looked at the separates but it is just not the look that I had in mind. You know how you get an idea of what you want, you can't find it, and nothing else works. If I get a chance tomorrow I will take a picture of what in my mind I am looking for.

Thanks toxicfairy, size 6-8 here but I will take a look.

Ladies, thank you for trying.

Laine

I am looking for an "outfit" preferably carpris that is not the polyester Blair type. (not that there is anything wrong with that if it suits you, definitely not my style) I am in my 50's and can remember not so long ago when you could buy really cute, casual to dressy 2 piece sets, skirts with a top or capris with matching top. I really don't want to do the mix and match or coordinates, I really would like to see an "old fashion" what I would consider an outfit. Can any one help??

Thanks,

Laine

They had some nice sets at Sam's Club today. They are having a "trunk show" of vendor items that aren't always there. Anyhoo, these were very nice, tropical prints (think hawaiian shirt, but more feminine and pretty). They had shirts, tank tops, skirts, capris, all sold separately, but they had matching prints.

Madelinerose, you are an amazing lady to do all this research. Snow keeping you in, hm???;)

You got it, Esther. You know me well! :D

Actually, I'm sitting here looking for info for a friend when I should be doing a thousand other things and hanging on CC is not one of them. At least I can fake a valid use of my time by thinking I may have helped someone out. Ah, the self-deception... :D;):D

Just about any department store will sell seperates that go well together, usually on the same rack. That they don't sell them as a set is good for many people, we aren't always the same size top and bottom. Another good thing is that you would be able to purchase 2 bottoms, 2 tops and make 4 outfits (as an example).

I don't think that there are very many 2-piece "outfits" sold now, but most of the web sites have photos and suggestions on what you can put together. That is easier for me than walking into a store and being overwhelmed with all the choices.

I don't think that there are very many 2-piece "outfits" sold now, but most of the web sites have photos and suggestions on what you can put together. That is easier for me than walking into a store and being overwhelmed with all the choices.

Yes, put together.;)

The OP said she would try to find a picture of what she's talking about. Hope she does and it clears up the confusion for some of us. I still don't understand what the difference between a top and a bottom as an outfit with one price tag on it versus a top and a bottom that coordinate or match, each with its own price tag. The look is the same in the end.:)

I know exactly what OP is talking about and I still have some in my closet. I think that perhaps they have not been in stores for 5 -7 years. Sometimes I just liked the outfit look too.

I also find it hard to find elastic waisted pants that look decent (not puckered and not polyester/slick materials) (zippers and buttons are really hard with arthritic hands), shirts that cover the girls and don't let them peek out, and "pretty" things-- guess I just change my style too slowly:o

Sorry for the delay in adding this picture, (couldn't find the d**n camera)

Anyway, this picture does not do justice but it may give you all an idea of what I am talking about. The outfit is a wonderful silky fabric with embellishments on the top. Paired with cute casual heels it has always been a favorite of mine. Maybe I have a different concept of an "outfit" but I have never been able to find mix and match that give me the look I have in mind. I like to feel dressed casually but look a bit dressed up. Part of my problem is that I am a city girl that now lives in the country and my shopping venues are rather limited. When you all talk separates to mix and match the best I can find is Alfred Dunner. There is nothing wrong with AD but not my cup of tea. I have done a ton of searches using a plethora of of key words but still come up looking at Blair type "outfits"

My thoughts are to quit while I am ahead.

Thanks for all our your replies.

Laine

653059736_grncaprioutfit.jpg.0e6406dfbe00db6e40a89c6c6e7909d3.jpg

Archived