Livorno go to florence, lucca or Pisa?

Weroff2rome

ARG! It feels like there is just not enough time to see it all. We will be in Livorno only one day so I am trying to choose is it best to go to Florence and see David, to Lucca and the city or to Pisa. Pisa seems like it is just a tower (yes I know a famous one) but since I may never be back I am wondering if I should do Florence or Lucca instead? Input?

If you have never been to Florence I highly recommend that you go there. There is much more in Florence than the David. I suggest you get a guide book and prioritize the things you want to see. If you want to see the David there is a way to make reservations ahead of time so you don't need to stand in line to buy tickets. I don't have that number handy but I am sure if you google it you can find it, or maybe other posters would chime in.

Lucca is lovely, I have been there twice as well as to Pisa. But frankly, Florence is superior to both of them.

Agree - skip Pisa and spend your time in Florence. It's quite easy to get there on the train, and if you use the search function on this board, you can pull up lots of threads that will give you instruction how to do this.

Absolutely make reservations to see David, or you may be disappointed. There can be huge crowds there. Link to museum:

http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english/accademia/Default.asp?

You are right there is too much for 1 day! For our November 2009 cruise, we spent 3 days post-cruise in Florence (train from Venice). There was still too much to see even with that amount of time and we never even got out into Tuscany unfortunately.

What was memorable for me were the Michelangelos statutes, such as David. I enjoyed the Accedemia for David and the Prisoners, the Bargello for its collection of statutes, and the Medici Chapel for the New Sacristry (sp?) designed and executed by Michelangelo. The statutes of Day, Night, Dawn, and Dusk were quite impressive.

Get Rick Steves Florence book and download his free audioguides. They were very helpful. That will help set your priorities.

When we stopped in Livorno, we went to Pisa and Lucca using the train. I really enjoyed the Field of Miracles. We spent 1/2 day there and didn't see everything. I did get to climb the Tower which was fun.

Definately go to Florence. You can see the small quaint towns on a different port of call whatever it may be. You may want to check out the Uffizzi. It's a tough call when given the choice of which museum. If you like two dimensional art & it's history, Uffizzi is the place.

Suggestion: Down load Rick Steve's Forence podcasts. They also include the artwork & local scenes. listen to them several times..

btw.. same for Rome.There's some terrific podcasts ut there (not just Rick Steves).

It is very easy to do both Pisa and Florence in a day. We have done it twice now, and had no problem with a private tour. The second time we even booked the Pisa tower climb. It has to be booked in advance, they only let 20 or so people up at a time, every half hour I believe. You have to time it right, but your guide will let you know when you can comfortably be there.

we have decided on florence now have to figure the "must sees" while there. Those podcasts do you mean for my iphone?

I go to Itunes...

Podcasts

Rick Steves

or

http://www.ricksteves.com/radio/podcast.htm

Maybe you techies can jump in for details..... :)

he has some great walk thrus. I enjoy listening to them on my commute to work. Some also have pic that are timed with the walkthru.

btw... there's plenty of travel podcasts.

ARG! It feels like there is just not enough time to see it all. We will be in Livorno only one day so I am trying to choose is it best to go to Florence and see David, to Lucca and the city or to Pisa. Pisa seems like it is just a tower (yes I know a famous one) but since I may never be back I am wondering if I should do Florence or Lucca instead? Input?

In almost every port you'll feel like too much to see and too little time. The one downside of a cruise in Europe, IMHO.

I would ecourage you to give it a go, Pisa and Florence are doable, it'll be busy and frentic but it is doable! If you do Private tour very doable, if you DIY with careful planning also doable.

Morning, do Pisa, reserve tickets for early climb. Even if you DIY you can likely be in Florence for lunch.

Reserve tickets to see David, that is a 20-30' affair, a zoo but well worth it. After wards you can still have a couple hours to see a few plazas and Ponte Veccho at a minimum. It will be hurried, but you'll have seen the iconic attractions. Maybe get you warmed up for a return visit ;)

Good luck!

If you had to see one city in Tuscany, it would be Florence. The must see's are Accademia (David), Uffizi Gallery, and the Duomo, all within a 15 min walk of each other. You have to get reservations for the Accademia and Uffizi Gallery online else you will be waiting hours in line to buy tickets. The tourist part of Florence can be toured in a 90 minute walk (excluding any visits). Get Rick Steves' 2010 Italy guide book and start reading.

We all have our personal interests and preferences, but to me, this is a total no-brainer. FLORENCE by a mile. One of the most fabulous cities we've ever visited. Again, to each, his own, but we prefer Florence to Rome, though they are both incredible.

We all have our personal interests and preferences, but to me, this is a total no-brainer. FLORENCE by a mile. One of the most fabulous cities we've ever visited. Again, to each, his own, but we prefer Florence to Rome, though they are both incredible.

Have to agree 100%. Been there dozens of times and will continue to do so as long as He lets me do so. One of te most beautiful cities in Europe,

Ditto Sabin the Salty Sea Dog! We'll be docking in Livorno for the day on our cruise in June and trying to decide how to do it all (impossible) is confusing and overwhelming. I KNOW my husband will want to do Pisa - to be that close and not do it wouldn't sit well with him. We're thinking of using the cruise's "Florence and Pisa on your own" which is the only ship's tour that does both. I'm not sure about doing a private tour since we've never done such a thing, but it seems like that might be better. Oh....the confusion, what a lovely problem to have though! You've all been helpful, especially the time of day suggestions and the reservation warnings! Thank you.

Of note, the museums in Florence are closed on Mondays. A must do there is Gilli's coffee bar about one block from the Duomo, the best cappuccino I've ever had and delicious pastries and candies. The Tuscany countryside and mountain top villages are wonderful too. I found that private tours are better and cheaper than the ships tours by far and you definitely get to see more and get closer to attractions than with a large tour bus. We used Fabrizio from All Around Italy for all our ports in Italy last fall, a very memorable experience.

We spent 4 days there and loved the place. Bought jewelery on Ponte Veccio (great desins), went to Accademia, Duomo, Uffuzi ( sneak up in the elevator near the entrance w/ your ticket and avoid the wait) and don/t miss the market near the Duomo. Both inside for food stuffs and outside for silk, leather and clothing.

There have been lots of post about some great private tour companies- Rome in limo, All around italy, and others. You can do a web search they are all on the web with information. Just email them and you can get prices and availabilty when you will be in each port. Then just post on your M & M board to find fellow cruisers to join you. A much more reasonable and personable way to see the sites.

Pisa in the early morning, so no crow as cruise tours go there in the afternoon... Book the Tower, it is something special! Then Florence, one hour something from Pisa, by private service, ask them to add a stop to one winery around the town, it is the Chianti region, best wine of Italy!!! Private tours by All Around Italy or Papillon Service, skip the big company... on my opinion!

We went to Florence by train with a group of CC friends. (I'm saying this because some people may want to attempt it.) We went to the Duomo, which has a beautiful fresco painting of the Last Judgment on the dome. If you climb the narrow steps (463 of them) you will have a wonderful view of the painting, and when you step outside you have a wonderful panoramic view of Florence.

Some of our group went to see David, some to the Uffizi, and a couple of people took a Hop on Hop off tour. I chose the Uffizi because of the huge variety of art there, such as Botticelli. I guess either way you will love it. It was misting at first and pouring later, so I missed Ponte Vecchio.

We were in Livorno two days, so we also went to Pisa. We found the people of Pisa to be extremely friendly and helpful. At one point there were two groups of people giving us directions to the Leaning Tower. After climbing the Duomo, we decided not to climb the Tower. There are some other buildings you can tour, such as the Baptistry, but we enjoyed just relaxing in the Field of Miracles. I thought the town itself was picturesque, and although the street vendors near the Tower were a little aggressive, we didn't really mind. In fact I found a necklace there and a pashmina among the shops downtown, nice souvenirs of the cruise.

How far is the train station from the port at Livorno? It is easy to take the train in I am reading, it's our first time in Europe so I am doing my research

There is a ton of info on this web site. Do a search for Livorno train. OR just check the train link in my sig line. The train is very easy. Best to take a cab to the station (saves a lot of time).

Archived