doing laundry on ship

SheriAZ

I am trying not to over pack, but it's not working very well. I'm wondering if it is a lot of trouble to do laundry on the ship. I picture myself going to the laundy and bring all my clothes back because all the machines are in use. For some reason I'm imagining spending a lot of time trying to get an empty machine.

So...is it a lot of trouble to do laundry?

Right now I have a ton of clothes because i'm thinking about the different temperatures I'll have. (cold in San Diego, hot in Mexico, cool and windy on ship) Then of course there are dresses for the dining room, although I can wear twice.

We leave next Monday for California, Tues we get on the ship. Won't you all be glad when I finally sail and stop asking questions??:D

If you wait until the last day, the laundry rooms will be busy. You need to think layers and that you can wear things more than once. Probably at night unless you are dancing so hard you are sweating you could wear nice evening pants 3 times with two different tops.

I have never had problems using a laundry room on carnival or HAL. But--the day at sea will probably be busier than a port day.

There is laundry detergent that comes in a dryer sheet now. Easy to pack and cheaper than buying soap on board.

I've done laundry on a cruise before - and I won't ever do it again! It was a waste of precious vacation time. Even if you're planning on taking a nap, playing cards, laying in the sun, or whatever - doing laundry takes time away from that. I would suggest packing enough underclothes for the cruise and plan on wearing some things twice, and using the laundry service on the ship. Think mix & match for the evenings and this may help lighten your load.

I'd try to get by without it and, if necessary, just send out a few pieces for the ship to do ... the laundry rooms are small, it is sometimes hard to get things dried, detergent is not cheap, and I've seen a guy who ruined all of his family's clothes because the water, unbeknownst to him, was rusy.

My wife would vote no laundry. She has done it on the ship.

You have to figure you can wear some cloths more than once. Set your goal at one suite case each for 7 to 14 days. I would add a carryon with clothes for both of you incase your other two suite cases gets losts.

I am trying not to over pack, but it's not working very well. I'm wondering if it is a lot of trouble to do laundry on the ship. I picture myself going to the laundy and bring all my clothes back because all the machines are in use. For some reason I'm imagining spending a lot of time trying to get an empty machine.

So...is it a lot of trouble to do laundry?

Right now I have a ton of clothes because i'm thinking about the different temperatures I'll have. (cold in San Diego, hot in Mexico, cool and windy on ship) Then of course there are dresses for the dining room, although I can wear twice.

We leave next Monday for California, Tues we get on the ship. Won't you all be glad when I finally sail and stop asking questions??:D

When my wife and I did our 7 day cruise on the Valor, we didn't do ANY laundry. It would've been too much of a pain to lug clothes back and forth from the laundry room and then have to hang around while the load finished. It was already kind of a hassle to have to wait on the iron.

One thing the Valor did that I thought was pretty cool though was this laundry special they had on the 4th of 5th day. You could get everything you wanted cleaned (undergarmets, socks, t-shirts and shorts, swimsuites) for $15 as long as it could fit in the laundry bag they provided (which you left for your cabin stewart to pick up). My wife and I stuffed so much stuff in that one bag that it had to be returned in THREE BAGS, lol. So I would keep an eye out for specials like those, the only catch is it doesn't really help you out with your nicer clothes, but it does ensure you won't go back with a suitcase full of dirty clothes :o)

• 1 month later...

I'm a newbie here and have never cruised before (but have my 1st cruise booked. I don't think Brillance of the Seas has a laundromat, correct?). I've been concerned about packing and the need to do laundry. I've been looking at travel clothing online and think I may be able to wash a few pieces in the sink? (Am I wrong in thinking this?) I've also seen clotheslines that affix to surfaces via suction cups. Has anyone ever tried (and had success) with these? On a cruise, is it frowned upon to do laundry in my cabin? Suggestions? (Besides the obvious...pack less...) Thanks in advance!:)

I'm a newbie here and have never cruised before (but have my 1st cruise booked. I don't think Brillance of the Seas has a laundromat, correct?). I've been concerned about packing and the need to do laundry. I've been looking at travel clothing online and think I may be able to wash a few pieces in the sink? (Am I wrong in thinking this?) I've also seen clotheslines that affix to surfaces via suction cups. Has anyone ever tried (and had success) with these? On a cruise, is it frowned upon to do laundry in my cabin? Suggestions? (Besides the obvious...pack less...) Thanks in advance!:)

The cabins come with a retractable clothesline in the bath/shower so that you can hang up your swimsuits. You can wash a few, very few, pieces in the sink. There is not much room in the bathroom or the cabin.

This is the Carnival Miracle:

p1010563y.jpg

p1010562j.jpg

p1010561o.jpg

I did laundry on the ship last year since it our first cruise and moms crazy idea of not wanting to do laundry home. Overall thoughts, its a waste of money/coins. The machines seem is slow compare to your everyday machines at home and the the clothes barely come out hot hot. I don't know how well the laundry specials are that they put in the capers/fun times. The cost of the machines was like 3 dollars for the washer and 3 dollars for the dryer

I only do laundry on B2B cruises, or long cruises. And now that I am platinum on Carnival, wash & fold is free. On HAL, they have the 'all you can fit into a bag for $20' and I used that a couple of times on my 32 day cruise. (HAL Vista class do not have laundries). I also was out underwear in the sink. EM

I travel so much for work and for pleasure that I am very used to washing out things in the bathroom sink. I buy clothes that work well with that laundry method.

Our family rule is that each person does his or her own hand washing or pays to send it out.

I would never send out my own delicate items in any case.

We're spending a week in London before our cruise then a 14 day Med. cruise on the Grand Princess this summer. I think we're doing well with our planning on what to pack but I AM planning to do at least one load of laundry on the ship. I read the suggestion to bring some Purex 3-in-1 sheets and found a coupon online and bought them yesterday. Will be easy to pack a few in our luggage so I'm good to go.

Again, I understand trying to pack minimally, but 3 weeks is a lot to ask. :)

Is the "fill a bag for $15" deal something Carnival does on each cruise? We will be gone a few days longer than the cruise. I'm a heavy sweater and almost ALWAYS get food on my clothes when I eat :o so we're packing for 5 days plus what we wear to fly down etc. Otherwise we'll do the laundry one night after dinner.

RCCL ships don't have self service laundries, but their cleaning services are pretty reasonable IMHO:p

I also purchased some Woolite packets that are perfect for doing undies, swimsuits, etc... I'm bringing a handful of plastic clothespins and will just use the retractable clothesline in the shower. There's no way either one of us wants to spend time in the laundry. :(

I did laundry on the Amsterdam. I threw in three loads at the same time w/the purell 3 in 1 sheets. Each load was $1.50, dryer was also $1.50 a load then I finished with one more load of the items that needed a bit more time in the dryer. Took less than 2 hrs from start to finish and I just put everything in my suitcase and rolled it down there and rolled it back. No fuss no muss. It was worth my time (which I read) to have clean clothes for my family and that much less to do when I got home. :D

I've done laundry on a cruise before - and I won't ever do it again! It was a waste of precious vacation time. Even if you're planning on taking a nap, playing cards, laying in the sun, or whatever - doing laundry takes time away from that. I would suggest packing enough underclothes for the cruise and plan on wearing some things twice, and using the laundry service on the ship. Think mix & match for the evenings and this may help lighten your load.

I agree wholeheartedly. In the past I've waited for an empty washer, then had to keep an eye on the clock in order to get clothes out on time for the next person to use washer. Ditto for dryer, more waiting, more clock watching. It's not the way I want to spend my cruise time.

So now I take items I can mix and match and that are durable enough to send to ship's laundry (washed in HOT water).

I guess I typically do so much laundry at home that having to do a 1-2 loads on the ship is no biggie for me. I just used the Purex 3-in-1 sheets (no worries about liquids in my carry-on). It was $1.50 to wash and $1.50 to dry on Diamond Princess. The dryer didn't get them completely dry but I like to partially hang dry clothes anyway. I actually did laundry 2x's and didn't have to wait for a machine (but I did 2 loads the day we boarded because we'd been on a 5 day land tour). The washer & dryers on Diamond Princess have a display that shows how much time is left. I put my clothes in, noted the time, continued walking on back aft to the aft deck/pool & read my book outside. When time was up I went back in, swapped the clothes to the dryer and went back out again. Shortly before the dryer was due to be finished, I went back in & picked up the clothes. Returned to our cabin for about 10 minutes of folding/hanging & I was done. Definitely worth the short time I swapped out to save $ on checked baggage + I didn't have to lug as much around.

I know the OP has already cruised but for those worried about changes in weather, pack clothes that can layer. For Alaska I think I took 1 pair of bermuda shorts, 1 pair of jeans, 2 pairs of black pants (1 casual & 1 dressy), 1 pair of casual khakis, 1 skirt, 2 formal dresses, 4 knit shirts, 2 tank tops, 4-5 sweaters, 1 fleece jacket, 1 thermal headband, 1 pair of gloves, 1 pair silk longjohns, 1 pair flipflops, 1 pair walking shoes, 2 pairs dress shoes + socks and underwear. I wore tennis shoes, capris, a knit shirt & woven shirt on the plane + carried my pack-in-the-pocket rain jacket. Everything I took could mix and match so I never wore exactly the same outfit twice. I know the list sounds like a ton but it really wasn't. I got all but the dress shoes & 2 formals in a 22" rolling duffle carry-on. I do find that I can pack much more by rolling most clothes plus the don't shift as much or wrinkle as badly.

The "bag of laundry for $15" was on the 4th day of the 8 day cruise. I took too many clothes, and didn't need to do laundry. I went to iron three times and the laundry was empty, but maybe it was too early in the cruise.

I seriously learned a lesson in overpacking as i didn't wear most of what I took.

. It was $1.50 to wash and $1.50 to dry on Diamond Princess. The washer & dryers on Diamond Princess have a display that shows how much time is left.

Thanks for posting. Feel better having that info for backup.

Tried the Purex 3/1, DH itched:eek: So picked up a "specimen" container(unused) which should hold our free/clear detergent safely. 7 days land first, lots of outdoors stuff. Planning on laundry in Anchorage Day 5 at hotel before we head down the peninsula. But we're horseback riding in Seward, so . . . :rolleyes:

My packing list will be even less = more need for laundry.

Quasar--That's part of our plan, too. Leaving the ballcap at home, cause that's the first thing we buy and don't need two for the trip + a shirt or two along the way.

If you are boarding after spending several days away pre-cruise, head to the laundry right away. I did this last year and it was almost empty. I also had a universal plug (round, flat rubber disk) that I used in the shower. I did laundry there, let it drip a bit overnight and then ran for a dryer first thing in the morning. I did this twice and was able to use the dryer while others were using the washers.

• 3 weeks later...

I have cruised on Princess and Carnival and all ships had more than adequate laundry facilities. If you are in doubt as to what kind of facilities your ship has then go on their website and look at a copy of the ships layout. The busiest times at the ships laundromat will be:

1) the first day of the cruise (from the people that did a land tour before the cruise and this is the first chance they have had to do laundry)

2) the last day of the cruise (from the people that are not going directly home and are doing a land tour after the cruise and don't know when or if they will see a laundromat before they get home)

3) any days at sea.

4) right before dinner with people washing an outfit to wear and/or using the irons to press their evening clothes.

In the past I have brought my own detergent and dryer sheets. Four years ago on my first cruise I was stupid enough to bring a bottle of liquid laundry detergent in my check thru luggage (what was I thinking?) thank goodness I put it in a ziplock bag. I have also brought powdered laundry detergent in a ziplock bag without any problem and a few dryer sheets in a separate ziplock bag. This year I am bringing the Purex 3 in 1 sheets (detergent/fabric softener/dryer sheet all in one sheet). In case you forget to bring any detergent they have vending machines in each of the laundromats on board that sell the little boxes of laundry detergent or a box of two dryer sheets for $1.00. On one cruise I forgot to bring dryer sheet and I was floored that it cost me $1.00 for two dryer sheets. I took them back to the room and used my dad's pocket knife to cut them in half and then cut them in half again and had 8 dryer strips that worked just as fine as a full dryer sheet at cutting out static. Just remember that the water in the washers is very soft water since it is desalinated sea water, you only have to use half the amount of detergent you would use at home maybe even less. You don't have to bring very much and it will be used up by the end of the cruise and leave room in your luggage for souvenirs. Even if you spend a dollar for a box out of the vending machine in the laundromat you can squeeze two or three loads out of it.

A lot of times I will wash items in the laundromat and bring them back to the room to air dry on a few plastic hangers. The air is so dry in the cabins (Alaska and British Isles cruises that is) that the clothes will be crisp dry overnight. I also have some of the Tide hand wash packets (available in the travel size section of Wal Mart) for more gentle items. I have also been know to use hair shampoo to hand wash clothing.

And don't forget to bring a roll of quarters with you in your purse or carry on. They don't take up much room and this will save a long wait in line at the Pursers Desk to get change.

I do this so we don't have to pack so much and it really doesn't take very long. I usually throw in a load and then go get lunch or breakfast down at the buffet or check my email at the Internet Cafe onboard and then put it in the dryer on the way back. It does not take long at all. If you're worried that you will be wasting time doing laundry have one person go throw the laundry in the washer while the second person is in the shower then 20 minutes later have the second person put the load in the dryer while the first person is in the shower. Just a thought.

I also bring a draw string laundry bag purchased at Dollar Tree to corral dirty laundry. Dollar Tree is a great place to buy a lot of things for the cruise including rain ponchos, hand sanitizer, room deodorizer, space bags (I've bought them but haven't used them yet so I can't vouch for how good they are or are not yet), small sizes of ibuprofen, allergy medicine, antacid tablets, etc. If you don't have room in your luggage to bring them back it is no big loss just to leave them behind.

In light of full disclosure and transparency I do have to admit I don't like other people doing/messing up my laundry so I would probably never send my laundry out for cleaning. I also travel with my 80 year old parents and my mother had Dementia. Having clean clothes is one of the things she gets nervous about and obsesses about. She can have 10 pairs of underwear but if three of them have been worn she is washing them in the bathroom sink despite the fact I will probably be doing a load of laundry the next day. We are not on the go, go, go all the time. We do excurions but also like to spend time on the balcony people watching and staring at the scenery so if I spend 10 minutes walking down to the laundromat and back to throw the wash into the dryer it's no big deal. Now for those of you doing two and three excursions and each port, getting dressed up for formal dining and dancing all night things might be different....

Have a great cruise,

Patricia

Archived