Ship to Shore phone

SheriAZ

I think the ship can always contact the shore by one means or another. In an emergency situation the ship can even use radio to contact shore or receive emergency messages.

But it is expensive to use the ship phones so advice your son to only contact you in an emergency.

Many cell phones work in some ports so take your cell phone after checking with your provider. There are also pay phones on the dock at almost all ports that will be cheaper than the ship's phone.

Have a great next cruise and don't worry, in an emergency your son can contact you.

Ship phones are about $8.00+ per minute. I think they count from the time you dial and a no answer will costs.

Cell phones are about $3.00 per minute. Check your carrier. You will be roaming. Be sure to have all background functions turned off or you will get a big bill if your phone automaticly checks mail etc. The cell phone is the way to go. The question is what can you do in an emergency. If you have the possiblity of a problem you might want to arrange for a power of attorney withsome one to handel the problem. You won't be able to solve anything on a ship.

I might worry a little less if I knew my son could reach us if he had to.

If you're talking child son, he's not reaching you. For someone to call you while you are sailing on a ship, the caller has dial a 1-800 number, then has to have a credit card to bill the long distance call to at around $9 per minute

He's 23. He has a CC. I'm not worried about the cost, I don't expect him to need to call.The cost wouldn't be my concern in an emergency. One reason is he is taking care of 4 elderly cats and a dog. I'm thinking no one should have to decide on vet bills or euthanasia for their parents pets. Also, my mother and MIL are elderly. I'd just like to be available in a true emergency. If i were 23, I'd feel better if i could reach my parents. Believe me, he won't call just to chat. I just wondered if the phones are reliable. I will call T mobile today.

Hello, and don't forget most ships have internet access, also. You can check in every day to see if things are OK. And, I do have pets also, whom I love dearly-that is my cat, Ginger, as my avatar. The woman who cares for her knows my feelings and knows to "do what I would do" in an emergency. If my cat fell sick while I was away, there would be nothing I could do except worry. Also, unless you plan to sit in your cabin the whole time, how would the ship find you when he calls? You could be on shore at the beach or something. Maybe a better plan would be to "meet" on facebook at a certain time every day to make sure everything is okay. But, please, don't spend a lot of time worrying about every little thing that could possibly go wrong while you are away, that will ruin the cruise for you. By the way, my mother has told me if she dies while I am on a cruise and I interrupt my cruise to come home, she will kill me.....Maureen

Sheri,

In an emergency you son WILL be able to reach you. Ship to shore wont work if you're not on the ship, which is why having a few methods is good. But without a doubt, in an emergency the ship will be able to get a message to you and you will be able to talk to your son when you get that message.

Archived