Pacific Pearl 'New' ship for Australia

Bella cruiser

Pacific Pearl is coming to Australia at the end of 2010 however she is hardly a new ship.

She was built in 1988/1989 originally as Sitmar's 'Fair Majesty' but as Sitmar sold out before she sailed on her maiden voyage she was renamed 'Star Princess' (1) then 'Arcadia' (3), then 'Ocean Village' (1) and now 'Pacific Pearl'.:confused:

Everyone on this forum always refers to Pacific Sun as an 'old ship' and she was built in 1986 (only 3 years older than Pacific Pearl). I would love to know what others think.

Regards Jenny

Past cruises

Tjiwangi x2 - 1971 and 1973

Marco Polo - 1972

Cathay - 1974

Fairsky - 1975

Arcadia - 1975

Fairstar x5 - 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 & 1980

Future cruises

Pacific Sun - 18 September 2010

Pacific Pearl is coming to Australia at the end of 2010 however she is hardly a new ship.

She was built in 1988/1989 originally as Sitmar's 'Fair Majesty' but as Sitmar sold out before she sailed on her maiden voyage she was renamed 'Star Princess' (1) then 'Arcadia' (3), then 'Ocean Village' (1) and now 'Pacific Pearl'.:confused:

Everyone on this forum always refers to Pacific Sun as an 'old ship' and she was built in 1986 (only 3 years older than Pacific Pearl). I would love to know what others think.

Regards Jenny

Hi Jenny,

All of P&O ships that sail from Australia are hand me downs but you wouldnt know it by the way P&O market them....you know like the biggest ship ever to sail full time from sydney.....true but they tend to leave out thats its 20 odd years old.I might add that P&O are the dearest if you travel in twin cabins....

Col:)

I'm looking forward to Pacific Pearl arriving, I think she'll be a great ship. P&O make no secret of the age of their ships - in fact they've even got the age of Pearl wrong, they say she was built in 1987, but you're right she was launched in 1989.

To me the age of the ship is irrelevant, I don't consider it at all when deciding on a cruise. There are plenty of cruise ships still sailing that are older than Pearl.

I'd much rather sail on these slightly older ships than some of the new Cattletrucks of the Seas with no character, small cabins and designed to make you forget you're at sea.

Ocean Village has had several major refurbishments over her career and she'll be given a make-over when she comes down here.

The Pacific Pearl is coming to New Zealand first before the Aussies get her :p :D

Enjoy but don't break her!! :D

Jenny

Past cruises

Marco Polo - 1972

Cathay - 1974

Fairsky - 1975

Arcadia - 1975

Future cruises

I'm looking forward to Pacific Pearl arriving, I think she'll be a great ship. P&O make no secret of the age of their ships - in fact they've even got the age of Pearl wrong, they say she was built in 1987, but you're right she was launched in 1989.

To me the age of the ship is irrelevant, I don't consider it at all when deciding on a cruise. There are plenty of cruise ships still sailing that are older than Pearl.

I'd much rather sail on these slightly older ships than some of the new Cattletrucks of the Seas with no character, small cabins and designed to make you forget you're at sea.

Ocean Village has had several major refurbishments over her career and she'll be given a make-over when she comes down here.

I'm with you Riffraff.

"Old" age has nothing to do with the quality of the vessel or its cruising experience.

Take the Atlantic Star as an example.

Atlantic Star - launched in 1984, and better known as Sky Wonder and our own Pacific Sky is still packing them in on Mediterranean cruises.

What a marvellous experience it was to sail on her as the "Mighty Sky" - I'd put it second in my own experience to sailing on the Blue Funnel line Centaur all those years ago for atmosphere.

Given half a chance I'd go back on board tomorrow if it ever passed this way again.

Having said that, I'm quite happy to be off on the Pacific Dawn again in just under three weeks. :D:p

Some of these older ships with only 12 decks do not roll as much as the 19 deck mega ships, not as top heavy. One reason why QM2 and Queen Victoria which were built for Transatlantic crossings are not 19 decks high.!

I was in 40 foot seas off NZ on Regal Princess - now our own Pacific Dawn, she rolled alright but not as much as Crown Princess, much bigger and higher decked ship did in 20foot seas in the Bay of Biscay !

I agree with you guys. They WERE ships weren't they. I have no desire whatever to travel on that holiday camp on the water - Oasis of the Seas. (Love your cattletruck description, Riffraff).

Even so, like Dennis, I'm also looking forward to the PD in 5 days! :D I will be very interested to note how she rides the swell. (I've been through a monster storm with a cabin at the prow, so I have had experience. :D )

Hi Everyone,

Some very interesting comments. At least she's an atractive looking ship, not like some of these newer ones that look like a block of flats bolted to a barge. I would like to take a cruise on her in the future, for old times sake at least, as she was Sitmar's last ship (call me sentimental). :)

Before anyone picks me up on it, I know that 'Pacific Dawn' and 'Pacific Jewel' were also originally commissioned by Sitmar but their construction was not commenced prior to the takeover. (Funny how we've ended up with all three).:D

Regards

Jenny

Past cruises

Marco Polo - 1972

Cathay - 1974

Fairsky - 1975

Arcadia - 1975

Future cruises

I'm with you Riffraff.

"Old" age has nothing to do with the quality of the vessel or its cruising experience.

Take the Atlantic Star as an example.

Atlantic Star - launched in 1984, and better known as Sky Wonder and our own Pacific Sky is still packing them in on Mediterranean cruises.

What a marvellous experience it was to sail on her as the "Mighty Sky" - I'd put it second in my own experience to sailing on the Blue Funnel line Centaur all those years ago for atmosphere.

Given half a chance I'd go back on board tomorrow if it ever passed this way again.

Having said that, I'm quite happy to be off on the Pacific Dawn again in just under three weeks. :D:p

Wouldn't it be great if the Mediterrnaeanins' got sick of the Mighty Sky and sent her back to us.:D:D:D

You'll find that Pacific Dawn will revive memories of Pacific Sky, that was certainly our experience.

And I imagine that Pacific Pearl - being the Sitmar design in between Fairsky (Pacific Sky) and Regal Princess (Pacific Pearl) & Crown Princess (Pacific Jewel) will feel much the same as well.

It's interesting that once Pacific Pearl arrives P&O Australia will have a fleet consiting ships (with the exception of Pacific Sun) designed for Sitmar Cruises

Some of these older ships with only 12 decks do not roll as much as the 19 deck mega ships, not as top heavy. One reason why QM2 and Queen Victoria which were built for Transatlantic crossings are not 19 decks high.!

I was in 40 foot seas off NZ on Regal Princess - now our own Pacific Dawn, she rolled alright but not as much as Crown Princess, much bigger and higher decked ship did in 20foot seas in the Bay of Biscay !

Hi Les ,

I agree about the age of the ships ages.It has no bearing on my choice of cruise....I would love to sail on the old Canberra or oriana again...but thats not possible.I much prefer to sail on Ocean liners than cruise ships but quite happy to be on the sea on anything.

Col

I know we all (myself included) have fond memories of the ships we have sailed on previously,here is a sobering report on the storm damage done to the Pacific Star in 2007.The report does state that not all the damage relates to the storm but that a lot was pre-existing.Seems the paint they use in some cases actually holds the ship together.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/investigation_reports/2008/pacific_star.cfm

"On arrival at Port Vila, on Friday 13 July 2007, an underwater survey of the known areas of damage was carried out by divers. The source of water ingress to the forepeak was found to be three small holes in close proximity, and the shell plate in the vicinity of the holes was so badly corroded that it was possible for the diver to push a finger through the ship’s side. "

The problem with these older cruise ships is that they don't offer as many balconies as some of the newer cruise ships do.

You certainly wouldn't see some of these ships being operated by Princess in the northern hemisphere. Carnival think they can just send the older ships downunder and then charge us a premium to cruise on them. They need to price the cruises at a more realistic price.

The Ocean Village will make her final 14 day round trip sailing on 7th October 2010 out of Heraklion, Crete. Arriving back at Heraklion on the 21st. Then off for a 2 month make over before arriving in Auckland on 18th December as Pacific Pearl. Let's just hope that UK passengers don't strip her for souvenirs.

Archived