Upsell Pricing

MariaNC

When people receive a call from the "upgrade fairy" are the upsell/upgrade costs per cabin or per person. Are there certain cabin categories that are more likely to receive a call. Are people more or less likely to receive a call on holiday sailing? Thanks.

The 4 times I've been offered upsells were:

Inside to a BA

Outside to a BA

BA to an AC

AF Mini to an A4

Each quote was per stateroom, not per person. 3 of the offers were in the last couple weeks prior to sailing. One was over a month prior

The 4 times I've been offered upsells were:

Inside to a BA

Outside to a BA

BA to an AC

AF Mini to an A4

Each quote was per stateroom, not per person. 3 of the offers were in the last couple weeks prior to sailing. One was over a month prior

so how many cruises have you been on???

The price quoted to me was per person, for the first 2 passengers. We have a family of 4.

Basically, take 20-30% off the published rate, and subtract what you have already paid, and there you have a possible upsell offer.

I would not count on upsells for a holiday cruise. Upsells are entirely based on last minute availability. Not like they set aside cabins for upsells. If they can sell the cabins for full price, then they will.

so how many cruises have you been on???

I've been fortunate in the upsell area. We've been on about a dozen cruises with NCL. I know some people have sailed with them more than we have and have yet to get an upsell call. We normally sail during the slow time of year between Thanskgiving and Christmas-that could have something to do with our good luck, but I'm not sure

The last upsell was on our Pearl sailing over this past Thanksgiving and was to the A4.

How does one get an upsell offer? Although we've cruised alot, the TA on the Gem on 4/10/10 will be our first on NCL. We booked an inside cabin through CruCon because it was such a good price, but of course...would like an upgrade or upsell. Need direction! Thanks!

Our upsells have all been priced at per person and in every case we were already booked in a Mini Suite or higher. We have had three upsells out of twenty plus cruises and all three were into Villa's Suites. The prices always ran about $500 to $600 per person and we have never gotten a Holiday upsell call. One upsell was days before we departed and it took a couple days onboard before our normal Latitude Perks got re-routed to the correct room. This upcoming trip the upsell came three weeks before departure and I expect given many Villa Suites that NCL still has open and for sale that calls will continue being made. Out of our group of 12 couples on this upcoming Pearl Cruise I know that three couples have gotten calls from the upsell fairy and accepted the offer. First time that has happened and we co-ordinated a group cruise every year for the past five years.

We were a little different than others that have posted. On our first NCL cruise we booked a mini and got a call the day we got our welcome aboard packets and we were offered an upgrade to an AE. They offered it to us as a flat rate of $500.00, not per person. Of course you can easily say that was $250.00 PP, but when the lady called me and I was talking to her she just said they would like to offer to bump us up to the AE for $500.00. I started giving her my CC number before she got it out of her mouth.

We have received two offers. An upsell from an obstructed OV to a mini for $400. for a 12 day sailing on the Jade (we were already on the ship for the 9 day sailing before it), and a FREE upgrade from a guarantee inside to a BE balcony on the Pride of America! Felt very fortunate both times!

Has anyone had any luck calling to negotiate an upsell?? If so, whom did you call, and how did you decide what to offer?

You can call the upsell department. The number is not published, and no operator will connect you, but the phone number is floating around.

Do NOT call more than 2-3 weeks before the cruise. It will just be a waste of time, and make it harder to get upsells.

I wouldn't worry much about negotiating. I don't think the upsell desk has that authority. They simply pull a discounted rate off the computer. Of course, if you reject that rate and wait a few more days, the discount may improve further.

I was offered the chance to go from AF to A3 for $750 per person. I did not get the sense there was any negotiating wiggle room.

I started giving her my CC number before she got it out of her mouth.

When the told me the price to the A4, it was low enough I responded with a "per person or total?" When they told me 'total' my response was just like yours, so I know that feeling! LOL

Has anyone ever heard of a upsell to a Garden Villa from an AB or similar level? The AB's are usually less than half the cost. I ask because the Villas are still available on our cruise 4/10/10 on the NCL Star. Curious, because it is such a big jump dollar wise. That level is the only upsell we'd be able to fit in being 5 of us from two rooms. (AB and inside). Guess I will hope and have a price limit in my head for the call.

I am set for my 5th NCL cruise and have had one upsell. On the POA for my very first trip. BA to AD. $400 total.

First trip I used an Online service and I have used a TA since. Does the upsell fairy call the TA instead of you with their offer?

Has anyone ever heard of a upsell to a Garden Villa from an AB or similar level? The AB's are usually less than half the cost. I ask because the Villas are still available on our cruise 4/10/10 on the NCL Star. Curious, because it is such a big jump dollar wise. That level is the only upsell we'd be able to fit in being 5 of us from two rooms. (AB and inside). Guess I will hope and have a price limit in my head for the call.

I am set for my 5th NCL cruise and have had one upsell. On the POA for my very first trip. BA to AD. $400 total.

First trip I used an Online service and I have used a TA since. Does the upsell fairy call the TA instead of you with their offer?

They call the TA and then you have to hope the TA calls you promptly. You could ask your TA to call the upsell desk a few weeks from sailing and ask for an upsell.

If you book through a TA, NCL won't work with you directly.

There are upsells for everything. Have your TA call the upsell desk when you're within 3 weeks to go... don't wait. (If they don't have the #, search for it on the internet... not allowed to post it here.) That said, it seems to be a bit lower cost when they call you. NCL told me, in general, you will be offered the higher-class room @ approx 50-80% of the difference you've already paid, but it sounds like some may have even gotten better deals than that. Also, the closer you are to the sailing date, the better the deal will be. Last year we upsold from an AA to the A1 (still dreaming about it!) I initiated the call 19 days out (the 1st work day within the 3 weeks) and worked it through. It was a bit higher than I wanted, but too good to pass up. I knew if I waited I could possible get it lower, but then you risk losing it altogether.

Good luck!

There is no upsell desk your TA can call..NCL no longer takes in bound calls from TA for this type of request. All upsell calls are on an outbound basis only. If you TA calls into NCL, it is their res department, and the upsell is at the current going rate.

There is no upsell desk your TA can call..NCL no longer takes in bound calls from TA for this type of request. All upsell calls are on an outbound basis only. If you TA calls into NCL, it is their res department, and the upsell is at the current going rate.

Unless it has changed in the last 2 weeks, that's not true. I called the upsell desk myself a week and a half ago, and got a good upsell from AF to A3.

It is true, that many TAs don't actually know how to contact the upsell desk. So they simply go through the reservation dept, and then they simply get the regular rate. My TA essentially told me that upsells did not exist. Which is what prompted me to simply call myself.

Unless it has changed in the last 2 weeks, that's not true. I called the upsell desk myself a week and a half ago, and got a good upsell from AF to A3.

It is true, that many TAs don't actually know how to contact the upsell desk. So they simply go through the reservation dept, and then they simply get the regular rate. My TA essentially told me that upsells did not exist. Which is what prompted me to simply call myself.

Great..What number did you call? Please share..

Same thing happened to me. Thanks to CC boards I told my TA about it,,, and she was a supervisor! She told me initially that they didn't have the desk inbound anymore (as was said here) and that they didn't do upsells to the GV, which is what we were after. So... we are not allowed to post the number here. but if you do a google search on ncl upsell phone number, you'll find it pretty quickly. It is the "reassignment" desk. Anyway, we did get the upsell to the GV and my agent was SO excited that she had the number now. Seems to me they did stop inbound for awhile, but now doing it again.

Anyway, we did get the upsell to the GV and my agent was SO excited that she had the number now. Seems to me they did stop inbound for awhile, but now doing it again.

I'd just ask everyone reading this, not to abuse it. Then they will stop taking inbound calls again.

But everyone wins, with some basic guidelines--

- Don't call too early. They can't offer upsells more than 2-3 weeks out.

-Don't bother calling, without checking availability online first. To ask for a GV, when the GVs are sold out, just wastes everyone's time.

-Don't bother calling with unrealistic expectations. You're not going to get the GV for $50. I'm guessing that you still paid thousands of dollars for your upsell, but you also saved thousands of dollars.

-Be polite and grateful!

I'd just ask everyone reading this, not to abuse it. Then they will stop taking inbound calls again.

But everyone wins, with some basic guidelines--

- Don't call too early. They can't offer upsells more than 2-3 weeks out.

-Don't bother calling, without checking availability online first. To ask for a GV, when the GVs are sold out, just wastes everyone's time.

-Don't bother calling with unrealistic expectations. You're not going to get the GV for $50. I'm guessing that you still paid thousands of dollars for your upsell, but you also saved thousands of dollars.

-Be polite and grateful!

These are good "rules." I did a lot of research before I did anything, and that's how it should be. I knew both GVs were still open by contsant checking online and was well-advised to wait until within 3 weeks. And you are exactly right... we paid thousands more then we were paying for the AA and still saved thousands from posted prices.

Archived