Which New England/Canada cruise?

DonnaMarieNJ

I know you are all tired of the same questions over and over, but having never been to most of these places I need to pick the brains of the more experienced cruisers....

I have a choice of 4 very similar New England/Canada cruises. Which itinerary/ship is best? I know nothing about Canada. I am clueless which ship/sailing would be the most interesting. I understand that what YOU consider interesting might not be what I like, but ANY help is appreciated.

CARNIVAL GLORY:

Boston, Portland, Saint John and Halifax

CARIBBEAN PRINCESS:

Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, Saint John, Halifax

NORWEGIAN DAWN:

Halifax, Saint John, Bar Harbor, Boston and Newport

....or....

EXPLORER OF THE SEAS:

Portland, Bar Harbor, Saint John, Halifax and Boston.

While I realize that each sailing is similar, is any one of these sailings better than the other? This will be the only cruise I'll get to go on this year, and I'd love your input.

I'm not familiar with the ports, nor have I sailed on Princess.

All of these cruises are out of NY area.

AND, to pick your brains a little further, why don't the ships go to Martha's Vineyard? When I checked, only the Prisendam calls there. Just curious.

Thanks for your patience.

Donna

I like the Explorer as an option because it is a 9 day. I was thinking maybe over Labor Day. One day less I get docked at work. ;)

Yes, I am obsessing over this cruise, but I've not been to most of these places.

Researching in the "New England" thread at CC helps, of course, which is what I am doing now.

And I know that all 4 cruises go to Boston, Halifax and Saint John. So the question remains, which remaining port(s) is better? Portland, Bar Harbor, Newport? And which ship is better? CC gives them all between 4.5 and 5.

It's lovely to have such a dilemma. Last year, I couldn't cruise at all....

Having never sailed north before, I assume that even if we cruise in August, the beaches are out? Will the water be cold?

So many questions!

Portaland, Bar Harbor, Newport

I guess it depends on what you enjoy, but Newport is known for its great mansions that you can tour. A path called the cliff walk runs along the water where these mansions are located. If touring a mansion would be enjoyable for you this is a nice port, if not then it wouldn't rank too high.

Bar Harbor is a cute port with Acadia National park tours available(we took ollies trolleys 2 hours tour for less than $30). Breath taking views etc. Nice town to stroll around in too.

Portland was a nice town with quaint shopping. We enjoyed ourselves in this port, but it doesn't stand out in any specific aspect.

I think all of these ports are nice and enjoyable. Cost & ship might be a greater factor.

The cruises you have listed are all with mass market lines. If you can afford it, and there are lots of special deals out there, you might consider a fall foilage cruise on the Whisper, a Silversea ship that carries about 380 pax. We hope to take this cruise this Fall, leaving Montreal on 9/24. There is more than one itinerary for this Fall, but I like the Montreal/NY itin. Aftert leaving Montreal, the ship stops in Quebec, about 3 ports in Nova Scotia, Bar Harbor, Boston, Newport, and ends in NY. 9 days. Although considered a luxury line, with prices to match, the cruises always include gratuities and all alcoholic beverages.

Just a thought. I am hoping it won't be too cold and rainy - can't tell I know. The main thing is the Fall color, which I hope will be spectacular.

We were on HAL's Eurodam that left Quebec City Sept 27th 2009 after an overnight in port. It was 10days to NYC and an additional couple to FL. It was wonderful and not too cold at all. The colours were beautiful and I would do this trip again in a heartbeat!

I would recommend Explorer of the Seas because of the ship, although there is nothing wrong with the itinerary. We have been on all of the RCI ships in that class and they can't be beat for what they offer. We have also been on Norwegian Dawn and it is not nearly as nice as the Explorer. We also cruise on Princess and Carnival, and those ships are nice, but once again, those ships can't compare to the Explorer, and the Glory only goes to 4 ports. You asked "which ship is better". I say go on Explorer of the Seas. That is my opinion. If you would like my port notes, my e-mail address is gthiel at tampabay dot rr dot com.

They might help you plan your days there.

• 1 month later...

We did Canada and New Englans back in 2008 but we went on RCCL Jewel of the Seas. It was awesome. We left from Bostona and went to Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax and St John New Brunswick. Great itinerary......LOVED Bar Harbor and we LOVED JEWEL OF THE SEAS!!!

Archived