Where and which Wines to buy in San Diego

Playsprite

We plan on staying at the Holiday Inn the day before we cruise. I am going to buy my wine with that extra day I have. I plan on buying a couple bottles in the 25.oo range, the others I would prefer to be 6-10$. Where is a good place to buy some wine nearby or close enough for an inexpensive taxi ride.

I would like to be more of a wine connoisseur than I am but can't afford alot of more expensive wines. I need Suggestions for which wines to buy.

As for what I like. Currently I like Barefoot brands. I love all the Pino's red and white, shiraz, Syrah, merlot, chardanay is ok but like the pino's better, reisling is too sweet. I am definately finding I like reds more than white's.

If you know of somewhere close that has decent prices and wine tasting that would be awesome also. ;)

So wino's:p...err ummm "Connoisseur's" strut your stuff and tell me what to buy.:D

Totally agree with Roz - besides your preferred Barefoot brand, Ralph also carries most of the wines that HAL has on board - a buying practice that has saved me MUCH money in corkage fees, as the wine steward assumes that it was an on board gift or a bottle I purchased at the wine cellar. I know it's cheating, but I always manage to make up the savings by purchasing cocktails in the lounges :)

Totally agree with Roz - besides your preferred Barefoot brand' date=' Ralph also carries most of the wines that HAL has on board - a buying practice that has saved me MUCH money in corkage fees, as the wine steward assumes that it was an on board gift or a bottle I purchased at the wine cellar. I know it's cheating, but I always manage to make up the savings by purchasing cocktails in the lounges :)[/quote']

SSHHHHHHHHHH!!! They are catching on. First time we had a home purchased bottle that matched the HAL collection, the wine steward asked me if I BOUGHT it on board. Honestly, I thought he asked if I BROUGHT it on board. I said yes. He didn't charge me the corkage fee (a mere $10 back them) I didn't beg the question, but after I saw that the wine we brought on board was the same as the HAL selection I put 2 and 2 together. Since then I usually mumble the answer and it worked but I do feel quite a tinge of guilt. Going on a HAL cruise next month, and there will be some bottles that match the selection. I'm going to pay the corkage fee, uuuh unless he does not charge it.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will probably hit both Ralphs and the wine bank. I tried two buck chuck a few years ago and wasn't too happy with it. Does the wine bank have wine tasting? Would really like to try some more expensive wines prior to buying them..

Any suggestions on some good reds in that 25 dollar range?

Another area to buy wine in San Diego is Liberty Station. This is an area just west

of the airport. There is a Trader Joe's, which has a very good wine selection other than

2 buck chuck. But also a Von's market which has a better wine section than Ralph's.

Plus there are good restaurants in the area. This used to be the old Naval Recruitment

Depot. Now condos and stores, restaurants, hotels, etc.

The address is 2401 Truxtun Rd, suite 1000 , phone # is 619 758-9272

Greg

Another area to buy wine in San Diego is Liberty Station. This is an area just west

of the airport. There is a Trader Joe's, which has a very good wine selection other than

2 buck chuck. But also a Von's market which has a better wine section than Ralph's.

Plus there are good restaurants in the area. This used to be the old Naval Recruitment

Depot. Now condos and stores, restaurants, hotels, etc.

The address is 2401 Truxtun Rd, suite 1000 , phone # is 619 758-9272

Greg

Another idea is to take the ferry to Coronado. There is an Albertsons that has a decent wine selection and you can wander around the town. A better place there is the Vons that is considered to be one of their "top end" wine selections. It is about 1 1/2 miles to walk from the ferry. I was just there this morning and if I didn't already have a case of wine in my car, I would have purchased some. Lots of sales right now.

There is a wine tasting place on the Island but I can't remember the name. If I can find it, I'll come back and post.

I don't know if it cramps your style, but wine in a box (Ralph's) is inexpensive, tasty, and doesn't start to go bad the moment you open it, like bottles do. Also, in this case, it's easy to transport and difficult to break.

Black Box Cab, Merlot and Chardonnay get good reviews as take aboard wine for the cabin. Since it is in a plastic airtight container it has a long life after it is tapped since it never comes in contact with air. It comes in 3 liter containers which is equivalent to four 750 ml bottles. There have been many positive reviews of this wine on these boards and elsewhere.

Thank you all for the great ideas and replies. Definately like the idea of the box wine. But will prob still get some Bottles also. On our last cruise one guy had his wine at the bar. Do they let us take our open wine to the bar to have it poured?

SSHHHHHHHHHH!!! They are catching on. First time we had a home purchased bottle that matched the HAL collection, the wine steward asked me if I BOUGHT it on board. Honestly, I thought he asked if I BROUGHT it on board. I said yes. He didn't charge me the corkage fee (a mere $10 back them) I didn't beg the question, but after I saw that the wine we brought on board was the same as the HAL selection I put 2 and 2 together. Since then I usually mumble the answer and it worked but I do feel quite a tinge of guilt. Going on a HAL cruise next month, and there will be some bottles that match the selection. I'm going to pay the corkage fee, uuuh unless he does not charge it.

The corkage fees are now $18, unless they went up agin in the last 6 months.

Thank you to whomever posted the info about BevMo......I checked it out online and they seem to be a relatively short cab ride from the HI on the bay and they have 5 cent wine sales - buy one bottle at the regular (very reasonable) price and get a second bottle for 5 cents - and they have a very nice selection of tasty wines in this promotion - you can order online and pick up the order in the store - for a Canadian - that's unbelievable!!

Ya Ya

Thank you to whomever posted the info about BevMo......I checked it out online and they seem to be a relatively short cab ride from the HI on the bay and they have 5 cent wine sales - buy one bottle at the regular (very reasonable) price and get a second bottle for 5 cents - and they have a very nice selection of tasty wines in this promotion - you can order online and pick up the order in the store - for a Canadian - that's unbelievable!!

Ya Ya

I believe that bevmo also has the Canadian Ice Wine, at least I found it at the one in Arizona

Archived