Is a Balcony Cabin on an Alaskan Cruise worth the extra cost?

bluejbird

A balcony in Alaska is a fundamental must. BUT, DO NOT use it as an excuse not to go up on deck.

We were amazed at how many people ''thought'' they saw the majesty of Tracy Arm for example, from their balcony. We on the other hand spent 4 hours 6am-10am on the area above the bridge.

Alaska has so much to offer that you need a balcony but you also need to get out an see what is around you.

Yes, Yes, Yes ..... book a balconey! We had amazing weather when we went last year and used the balconey sooo many times. I packed a throw blanket I picked up at Costco for under $20 and my husband and I sat there with that throw over us just in total awe of the scenery. Definitely get a balconey! (And bring a throw blanket)!

Alaska was my favorite place for a balcony. The ship makes a circle in glacier bay so it does not matter which side you are on. To not be in the crowd on deck fighting to see, being able to duck in to the cabin to get warm, and order room service coffee and drinking it on the deck...priceless.

Port side (left side) is the way to go for upward cruises from Vancouver/Seattle to Whittier. Going back down you'll want a Starboard Side room (right side).

Now I'm confused! Everything else I've read said just the opposite, so we booked a Port side cabin from our Southbound Whittier to Vancouver cruise. Did we make a mistake with that?

Now I'm confused! Everything else I've read said just the opposite, so we booked a Port side cabin from our Southbound Whittier to Vancouver cruise. Did we make a mistake with that?

No, the poster you quoted is wrong. A quick look at a map will verify that.

We were on the last cruise of the season (mid Sept) and the weather was so bad we were glad we hadn't paid for a balcony. When we wanted to go outside, it was a quick walk to decks where we could move side to side and weren't "stuck" seeing the views from just one balcony. If I had to choose between booking a balcony and shore excursions, I'd take the excursions and book an oceanview.

we barely spent much time in the cabin. It really didn't matter whether we got balcony or inside stateroom. By the time we are going back to our room, it is dark already

I am sailing the Diamond Princess on August 21, 2010. I had the same dilemna as you. We had to book two cabins with two people in each cabin. I am a previous Princess cruiser and therefore get a small discount. Here were the pricing options for me:

Category E-Partially Obstructed Oceanview $799/person

Total price (incl. taxes/fees) for two cabins with two people in each cabin= $3,575.60 (mid ship on Emerald deck)

Category BD-Balcony Stateroom $1,699/person

Total price (incl. taxes/fees) for two cabins with two people in each cabin= $7,175.60 (forward on Baja deck)

That is a difference of $3,600 for four people or $1,800/cabin.

There was absolutely no question in mind what to do. We booked the Partially Obstructed View staterooms. Our cabins have a rope or something similar in front of them at most.

Now if you have the money to spend then book the balcony. We decided to save the money. Excursions in Alaska are very expensive and we did not want to skimp on these. Most of our excursions are going to cost $150-$200 per person and we will be going on four excursions. We could not afford balcony cabins and also the nicer, more expensive excursions. BTW, we were even able to book all 4 of our flights from Detroit to Anchorage and back from Vancouver with frequent flyer miles for all 4 tickets.

I am sailing the Diamond Princess on August 21, 2010. I had the same dilemna as you. We had to book two cabins with two people in each cabin. I am a previous Princess cruiser and therefore get a small discount. Here were the pricing options for me:

Category E-Partially Obstructed Oceanview $799/person

Total price (incl. taxes/fees) for two cabins with two people in each cabin= $3,575.60 (mid ship on Emerald deck)

Category BD-Balcony Stateroom $1,699/person

Total price (incl. taxes/fees) for two cabins with two people in each cabin= $7,175.60 (forward on Baja deck)

That is a difference of $3,600 for four people or $1,800/cabin.

There was absolutely no question in mind what to do. We booked the Partially Obstructed View staterooms. Our cabins have a rope or something similar in front of them at most.

Now if you have the money to spend then book the balcony. We decided to save the money. Excursions in Alaska are very expensive and we did not want to skimp on these. Most of our excursions are going to cost $150-$200 per person and we will be going on four excursions. We could not afford balcony cabins and also the nicer, more expensive excursions. BTW, we were even able to book all 4 of our flights from Detroit to Anchorage and back from Vancouver with frequent flyer miles for all 4 tickets.

A wise choice. Given a limited budget, spending the money on excursions is the way to go.

Have you looked into the Alaska Toursaver book? A lot of discount/twofer coupons in it. We used it for our our Alaska cruise last year and it was great. Used 2 for 1 coupons on flightseeing/glacier landing and 3 rivers boat trip in Talkeetna, Princess McKinley lodge, Misty Fiords boat trip, whale watching in Juneau, etc. Well worth the $100 investment on the book (we saved over $1,000).

There is no answer here for everyone. :) And I find the "must" for a balcony a "suggestion".

I am more traveled to Alaska than 95% of the above, and have no budget limitations, but I am always in a cheap inside cabin. :) My priority is seeing it all, and I spend most of my sailing time out on deck. I am NOT missing anything that is claimed with not having a balcony and frankly I see more. So it depends- how you wish to spend your money. I travel to Alaska every year- don't even have to think about it- I just go. But for some- the trip is something that is long planned out and may have some significant budget concerns. Everyone is different.

There is a good cabin choice for all. :)

There is no answer here for everyone. :) And I find the "must" for a balcony a "suggestion".

I am more traveled to Alaska than 95% of the above, and have no budget limitations, but I am always in a cheap inside cabin. :) My priority is seeing it all, and I spend most of my sailing time out on deck. I am NOT missing anything that is claimed with not having a balcony and frankly I see more. So it depends- how you wish to spend your money. I travel to Alaska every year- don't even have to think about it- I just go. But for some- the trip is something that is long planned out and may have some significant budget concerns. Everyone is different.

There is a good cabin choice for all. :)

BQ and I think alike. For the above reasons, we booked an inside. We have had balconies and I do love them. But, I would rather travel more!! Plus, it kills me to throw away money, just so we don't miss something during the little time we are in our cabin.!! I admit it---I am "thrifty".

Here is my question---if you seriously CAN afford the balcony....Do you fully fund your 401K??? Are you on track for having the correct amount neccessary (for your age), to fund a decent retirement? Do you carry a balance on your credit card? When I was younger, I didn't really think about things like that, but being newly retired, I am glad that we don't have to give up traveling, because we didn't plan for our retirement.

Hey....if you are on track financially, go with the balcony, if it means that much to you, and won't affect your future!

I booked a balcony for my Alaska cruise but I've only sailed in balconies so far. As for saving money, see if you can book a balcony guarantee. For the Island Princess, we paid for a BH guarantee (the cheapest balcony) and winded up getting a BB (2nd most expensive balcony)!

Here is my question---if you seriously CAN afford the balcony....Do you fully fund your 401K??? Are you on track for having the correct amount neccessary (for your age), to fund a decent retirement? Do you carry a balance on your credit card? When I was younger, I didn't really think about things like that, but being newly retired, I am glad that we don't have to give up traveling, because we didn't plan for our retirement.

Hey....if you are on track financially, go with the balcony, if it means that much to you, and won't affect your future!

I decided not to have kids so I can afford to have a balcony AND retire early. :D

And your question about the 401k is wrong. You should fund your 401k up to the point of the company match and then fully fund a Roth IRA. Only after paying off all your debt (including mortgage, student loans, etc.), if you still have money leftover, then you should add the additional to your 401k. Don't you watch Suze Orman?? :eek:

And your question about the 401k is wrong. You should fund your 401k up to the point of the company match and then fully fund a Roth IRA. Only after paying off all your debt (including mortgage, student loans, etc.), if you still have money leftover, then you should add the additional to your 401k. Don't you watch Suze Orman??

I love a great discussion about responsible investing, especially in the context of paying extra for balconies. Anyway, if you've funded your 401k up to the company match and maxed out the Roth IRA, I suggest putting extra money into something other than a 401k due to how that money is taxed when it is withdrawn. Better for some people to face capital gains on that money than treating it as regular income.

When someone offers to pay for my balcony upgrade, I'll book one! :D Until then, I am perfecty content with whatever is cheapest in Alaska, whether it's an inside or an obstructed oceanview cabin. I have had a balcony cabin once in the Bahamas and once in the Caribbean (the latter was a free upgrade). While they were nice, I wouldn't pay significantly more for one. I'd rather cruise to Alaska twice in an inside than once in a balcony. More cruising is better. :)

I love a great discussion about responsible investing, especially in the context of paying extra for balconies. Anyway, if you've funded your 401k up to the company match and maxed out the Roth IRA, I suggest putting extra money into something other than a 401k due to how that money is taxed when it is withdrawn. Better for some people to face capital gains on that money than treating it as regular income.

Very good call. I doubt most people even get as far as funding their 401k up to the company match and maxing out their Roth IRA these days. :(

For most cruises, I question the value of a balcony. For Alaska, it is worth every cent it costs. In one harbor, we sat on the balcony and watched otters swimming around the ship for at least 30 minutes. Try doing that in your obstructed view cabin.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

For most cruises, I question the value of a balcony. For Alaska, it is worth every cent it costs. In one harbor, we sat on the balcony and watched otters swimming around the ship for at least 30 minutes. Try doing that in your obstructed view cabin.

DON

You're right, I couldn't do that from my cabin - but I don't mind going to an outside deck.

I booked a balcony for my Alaska cruise but I've only sailed in balconies so far. As for saving money, see if you can book a balcony guarantee. For the Island Princess, we paid for a BH guarantee (the cheapest balcony) and winded up getting a BB (2nd most expensive balcony)!

I decided not to have kids so I can afford to have a balcony AND retire early. :D

And your question about the 401k is wrong. You should fund your 401k up to the point of the company match and then fully fund a Roth IRA. Only after paying off all your debt (including mortgage, student loans, etc.), if you still have money leftover, then you should add the additional to your 401k. Don't you watch Suze Orman?? :eek:

Forgot to mention the Roth. My bad!! Ours are doing so poorly, I put it out of my mind!

I don't think you got my point, though. Had a feeling I was stepping on some toes!!

Personally, we like to choose our cabin. You could end up with a balcony in a bad location. We have been upgraded to suites that were noisy. Not worth it.

DON

I would have been on the DOCK. :)

Forgot to mention the Roth. My bad!! Ours are doing so poorly, I put it out of my mind!

I don't think you got my point, though. Had a feeling I was stepping on some toes!!

Personally, we like to choose our cabin. You could end up with a balcony in a bad location. We have been upgraded to suites that were noisy. Not worth it.

I totally understood your point. :D I think it's a very good reminder that we don't get caught up in vacations and forget to plan for our future. But I wasn't kidding about not having kids either. :) We made that choice so we could travel more and retire early. If there is anything we learned by living in the suburbs, it's that kids are expensive. :eek:

You got lucky - that doesn't happen very often (and from a balcony you're still seeing them from a long way away in any case - 8-11 stories). I'd love a balcony but need to save my pennies to get out on a boat where the odds of getting a real close look are very high (at least at Sitka they are).

Edited by Yukon