Royal Caribbean to deploy Radiance of the Seas down under

woodscruise

I just got off the Jewel yesterday and the captain announced that P&O are having a ship built for us Aussies and is due in 2012....I wonder if it'll happen though...fingers crossed.

A captain cannot have inside build information that the lines and shipyards haven't released to the market. It also takes 3 or so years for a modern large ship to be built so for it to be coming out in 2012, building had to start last year, and the contracts and finance signed in the depths of the GFC, none of which would have happened.

He may have thought there is a new ship being redeployed here. However, I'd say P&O would want to settle in Jewel and Pearl to see how they sell before planning anything else, otherwise they have a risk of too many cabins available and they have to discount.

"Royal Caribbean plans to double the number of ships it sails from Australia and make Sydney the home port next year for both Rhapsody of the Seas and the new Radiance of the Seas. The announcement comes just 14 months after the Miami based company opened its Sydney office and it means travellers will have a lot more cruises to choose from. The Managing Director of Royal Caribbean Cruises, Australia, Gavin Smith, says the expansion will also double the number of tourists the line brings to Australia each year to more than 30,000. He says Radiance of the Seas will be Australia's first 21st century liner - the newest, largest and most modern ship to call Sydney home". Sun Herald, Sydney 28/2/10.

Our thoughts too Liz....which is great because we won't have any trouble booking the great deals with our US agents....lol....and hopefully they will keep it to the same U.S style of cruising we experienced on our first ROTS cruise in 2007....our cruise on her last

week was miles apart from what we first had.......cheers Shiona

My thoughts are that they will be marketing this ship for the international tourist and not the local market.:mad:

Nah, based on the original discussion, both groups are being planned for, hence a mix of cruises based in one port, with others that are from to another (preferred by overseas visitors).

Our thoughts too Liz....which is great because we won't have any trouble booking the great deals with our US agents....lol....and hopefully they will keep it to the same U.S style of cruising we experienced on our first ROTS cruise in 2007....our cruise on her last

This is disappointing, Shiona. How was it different?

My thoughts are that they will be marketing this ship for the international tourist and not the local market.:mad:

I gather it will be both, Liz, which would be great.

Hopefully they're starting to realise that it is just not good business to try to segment the market.

I have to agree with this, our second cruise on the Rhapsody was no where near as good as out first, I would not go on ROTS again for this reason ..

K

The entertainment was not up to the standard of the first cruise, RCI staff seemed to be trying alot harder on the first, there was the usual daily activities but were poorly run, I gave up on them, maybe I was just over it !! but when I read an earlier post, I thought may be it was them and not me ..

K

Happy Birthday Radiance of the Seas!

Radiance of the Seas made her maiden voyage 9 years ago today, March 10, 2001! She is the flagship of the Radiance class ships and was built in Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany.

Among her "firsts" were:

- First Royal Caribbean ship with a gas-turbine engine

- First cruise ship with gyroscopically stabilized pool tables

She was also the largest passenger vessel ever built in Germany (the other Radiance class vessels share this distinction ).

Maiden Voyage: March 10, 2001

Passenger Capacity: 2,501

Godmother: Margot Pritzker

Gross Tonnage: 90,090

Length: 962'

Beam: 105.6'

Draft: 26.7'

Cruising Speed: 25 knots

From Royal Caribbean thread "Happy Birthday Radiance of the Seas".

Does anyone have information on when Radiance was last in dry-dock or refurbished?

Surely that would be done prior to coming down here. Or, maybe they'll do it here in Brisbane because it would be cheaper.

Jillybean:)

Hi Jillybean

Been waiting to see what cruises are going to be going for the Radiance of the Seas.

I notice you have cruised on the Rhapsody of the seas a few times, have you found noticed if they have a pattern with their pricing and when they have sales, for instance I have noticed Holland America seem to offer good pricing in March for their Australian cruises?

Thanks

Leanne

Hi Jillybean

Been waiting to see what cruises are going to be going for the Radiance of the Seas.

I notice you have cruised on the Rhapsody of the seas a few times, have you found noticed if they have a pattern with their pricing and when they have sales, for instance I have noticed Holland America seem to offer good pricing in March for their Australian cruises?

Thanks

Leanne

Hi Leanne,

It's hard to answer that question because now RCCL has an office in Sydney and the cruises are for sale in Australian dollars it has made quite a significant difference to the pricing compared to previously when booking through RCCL in the USA.

The cruise we did last year booked with RCCL in Australia was more expensive than the two the year before but it seemed to depend on the cruise date. We booked on one cruise last year on Rhapsody on a ships guarantee and were given deck 2 oceanview almost immediately after booking. Then about 3 weeks later I saw an offer on the next cruise after the one we had booked for a balcony on deck 7 for the same price we booked an oceanview on deck 2....so there you go, you have to check the pricings frequently. Needless to say we transferred to the second option.

Jillybean :)

Hi Leanne,

It's hard to answer that question because now RCCL has an office in Sydney and the cruises are for sale in Australian dollars it has made quite a significant difference to the pricing compared to previously when booking through RCCL in the USA.

The cruise we did last year booked with RCCL in Australia was more expensive than the two the year before but it seemed to depend on the cruise date. We booked on one cruise last year on Rhapsody on a ships guarantee and were given deck 2 oceanview almost immediately after booking. Then about 3 weeks later I saw an offer on the next cruise after the one we had booked for a balcony on deck 7 for the same price we booked an oceanview on deck 2....so there you go, you have to check the pricings frequently. Needless to say we transferred to the second option.

Jillybean :)

Thank you for that info. You are lucky they allowed you to transfer to the second option.

This business of the pricing is ridiculous, our prices should be getting cheaper given that the Aussie dollar is higher. We are ripped off here.

Leanne

This business of the pricing is ridiculous, our prices should be getting cheaper given that the Aussie dollar is higher. We are ripped off here.

Leanne

Could not agree more Leanne... It's a simple case of more passengers than ships = higher prices. They are making the most of it.

Archived