Radiance cabin pipe/flooding issues - say it isn't so!

Cruzden

We have booked a Radiance Alaskan cruise on deck 10 for summer 2010 and have been very much looking forward it. While reading posts on Cruise Critic to help up plan and prepare, we were very disappointed to see many recent posts (on other general Radiance threads) dealing with Radiance cabins flooding - wet carpets, collapsed ceilings, toilets not working, fowl odors, brown water coming from the sinks, water being shut off, maintenance and fans in the hallways, etc. Horrifying to read!

How severe and wide spread is this issue? Have the problems been reported on all decks, both sides of the ship - or isolated to a few/one side? If anyone can post their personal experience and cabin/suite number, please do. Or, better yet, has anyone received a response from RCI regarding the problem and what is being done to fix it? We've tried contacting RCI via email, but have had absolutely no response. Is there a better way to contact RCI? We booked directly with thier website, by the way.

This could be a show stopper for us, unless the issue is being resolved. We've sailed only once before on RCI - the Mariner - which was a fantastic cruise, and we loved the RCI experience. Obviously we don't want an unsanitary and inconvenient situation that would damper (no pun intended) our next "trip of a lifetime" by cruising on this particular ship.

Thanks for any feedback/reassurance!

I was the OP on a recent Radiance review. Right now, the problem is pretty widespread. On my Nov 30 cruise, there were a lot of problems. My room flooded twice.

However, they are in the process of replacing all the problem pipes. They are accessing the maintenance spaces between all the rooms and installing new plumbing. I would bet that the problem will be fixed long before your summer, 2010 cruise.

I think Patti (cruisenfever) posted that they are replacing all of the pipes, not just problem ones, swapping out copper for PVC. I would bet a modest sum that they started on Deck 10 and are working their way down. So I'd be more concerned if I were on Deck 7 for a summer sailing.

I was on Deck 10 in October and November. I had no issues in October and the water was shut off in the wee hours one night in November. Had I not needed water in the middle of the night (you don't need to know why:eek:) I never would have known.

So go on your cruise and have a fabulous time!

Had I not needed water in the middle of the night (you don't need to know why:eek:) I never would have known.!

We all know why. ;) j/k

I had a deck 7 cabin in November and had one night when the water was shut off. Other than that there were no issues.

Thanks for all the replies to my post. Fingers crossed that the leaky pipes will be replaced by mid next summer. We are so looking forward to our trip to Alaska on the Radiance. In the meantime, I will remember to check my spelling when I post! :rolleyes:

We left the Radiance this morning.

We had some plumming issues, but they were caused by idiots.

Someone tried to flush socks :eek: and a washcloth :mad:

Who does this?????

Anyhow the toilets on deck 7 8 and 9 (and perhaps 6) starboard midship & aft were broken for about 10 hours until they fixed it.

Fun times :)

But at least now I got to learn where all the public restrooms were onboard !!

We left the Radiance this morning.

We had some plumming issues, but they were caused by idiots.

Someone tried to flush socks :eek: and a washcloth :mad:

Who does this?????

Anyhow the toilets on deck 7 8 and 9 (and perhaps 6) starboard midship & aft were broken for about 10 hours until they fixed it.

Fun times :)

But at least now I got to learn where all the public restrooms were onboard !!

How do you know that's what happened? Is that what the room steward told you? I am only being skeptical since I will be going on the Radiance on January 2, 2010 and have been reading about all the plumbing issues plaguing the ship.

Thanks for your update.

Suzi

How do you know that's what happened? Is that what the room steward told you? I am only being skeptical since I will be going on the Radiance on January 2, 2010 and have been reading about all the plumbing issues plaguing the ship.

There's one other thing that concerns me that I did not mention in my review. This is a pretty big deal, and can be a health issue to a lot of people. After the second time my room flooded, I found mold all over the back, lower part of the couch. I made the maintenance crew flip the couch over and clean it. With all the water problems, I hope they are uniformly addressing this.

Come to think of it, we had issues with water problems on Radiance a few years back. I remember calling Guest Relations to tell them of the sewer smell in our stateroom several times. At one point we left our cabin to find the wall outside pulled apart by several employees. Toilet never worked liked other cruises we had been on. Perhaps the ships builder made some kind of a goof up? I'm shocked to hear there are still issues. Don't let that deter you. She is a gorgeous ship and I would sail her again in a heartbeat :)

There's one other thing that concerns me that I did not mention in my review. This is a pretty big deal, and can be a health issue to a lot of people. After the second time my room flooded, I found mold all over the back, lower part of the couch. I made the maintenance crew flip the couch over and clean it. With all the water problems, I hope they are uniformly addressing this.

DH and I are booked for the 22 Feb 2010 Mexican Riviera ~ I read Aquahound's review and wrote to RCL re: my concerns,(I am an RN). Mold, etc. don't make healthy cruising. I asked for an idea of what I should expect, in the way of a repair schedule. That was three weeks ago ~ still no response from RCL. Here's hoping...

Lachi

Portland

Thanks for your update.

Suzi

We were given a plate of chocolate covered strawberries from the guest services manager, apologizing for our toilets not working.

In the note, it said that maintenance found and removed a clog. The clog was made up of socks and towels.

Later in the cruise, while chatting with the cruise director about other things (we go wayyyy back), he confirmed the clog that affected an entire fire zone 7 .... which was decks 7 8 9 and one more, i can't remember if it was deck 6 or 10 .... I can't remember, but remember hearing about 4 decks were involved. Anyhow, long story into a novel, he confirmed the clog was made up of "towels" but he called it a washcloth.

The cabin who flushed the washcloth told the hotel director the whole story. As it turns out, those passengerse had used their cabin's toilet, then before flushing, accidentially knocked a washcloth off the towel rack and it fell in the toilet. They didn't want to fish out the gross washcloth, so they flushed it.

Our cd didn't know how the socks got flushed, and didn't want to find out either!

My 16m old son threw the door stopper into the clean toilet water on embarkation day. He's too short to push the flush button though. But nevertheless, he wasn't ever allowed to roam into the bathroom unless supervised.

I read about other cruiser's plumming issues and funky colored water coming into their cabin. We didn't have the yellow water in our sink or anything. Our plumming issues were only that our toilet didn't want to flush for 10 hours. But again, we just found out where all of the public restrooms were located.

DH and I are booked for the 22 Feb 2010 Mexican Riviera ~ I read Aquahound's review and wrote to RCL re: my concerns,(I am an RN). Mold, etc. don't make healthy cruising. I asked for an idea of what I should expect, in the way of a repair schedule. That was three weeks ago ~ still no response from RCL. Here's hoping...

Lachi

Portland

Aqua since you brought it up and another health care professional did too

There is another concern If there is if there is any fecal material in that water in the US That is considered Hazerdous waste and the carpet needs to be disposed of not dryed But since the arnt USA Flagged they may have different laws to abide by Not trying to stir the pot

Lachi

Portland

I would be interested in hearing their response....if you get one

We cruised to Ak. on ROS in June. Our room flooded and they drilled above our room b/t 1-3am on 2 different night and the night in between we had a high powered fan blowing in our room. It was our 10 th cruise with RCCL and we are fairly sure we won't be back. I was a huge fan of RCCL before this. For our "trouble" they gave us $160 off on another cruise w/in the year.....Wow. We weren't looking for a freebie, but miss the RCCL we sailed with back in 1991....We even asked to have a room moved because our family wasn't getting any sleep, which kind of ruins your expensive day excursions....Never again. We are disappointed and there was very poor service recovery. Planning a trip to Europe and no one wants to cruise, at least not with RCCL. Look at my history...we were fans....I would not go to Alaska with this ship again. PS, I am an RN and my husband is a CRNA ~ they did not address safety concerns. Good luck.

Karen

Lachi

Portland

Hi Lachi - it's Julie from the 2/22 roll call boards and I have been watching these postings on plumbing issues also. I, too would be interested in hearing RCL's response.

Julie

I don't think there is anything I am able to do, considering we leave on January 2nd. But I will report back here and let you know what I find on the Radiance - we have a room on Deck 7.

Though I want to be excited about my cruise, it's sort of hard when you read these types of reports. Though none of us spend that much time in our cabins, I would like my time in there to free of toilet hassles! You would think that with so many issues, it would be in the cruise lines best interest to simply take a week in port to fix all the problems before subjecting passengers to them.

I don't think there is anything I am able to do, considering we leave on January 2nd. But I will report back here and let you know what I find on the Radiance - we have a room on Deck 7.

Though I want to be excited about my cruise, it's sort of hard when you read these types of reports. Though none of us spend that much time in our cabins, I would like my time in there to free of toilet hassles! You would think that with so many issues, it would be in the cruise lines best interest to simply take a week in port to fix all the problems before subjecting passengers to them.

It will take more than a week to "correctly" fix the plumbing problems.

We just completed our 12th cruise on Radiance and we had plumbing problems with the very first cruise back in 2004. Didn't stop us from cruising on her again, and again, and again.............

The plumbing problem is an inconvenience, I will agree, but you may not experience anything while on your cruise.

Also remember, that some of your cruise mates do not follow instructions and continue to flush things down the toilet that are not meant to be flushed. This is not the ship's fault...................it's the ignorance of those that don't care how their actions have inconvenienced others.

Have a wonderful cruise.........

Sailfish/Suzy, please do report back to us what you find out about the plumbing issues. I'm sure all of us planning a future cruise on ROS would be most appreciative. We hope you have a wonderful trip and find no problems at all!!

FYI - I did call RCI and spoke to someone about this issue. The person I spoke with was not aware of this issue and I was told they would have someone investigate and get back to me. We are trying to remain hopeful this problem will be repaired and we continue to look forward to our cruise. This problem aside, it sounds like ROS is a beautiful and enjoyable ship.

Happy New Year!

Archived