Unbelieveable Golden Hawaii cruise review

Daniel1313

I just read the most unbelieveable Hawii review ever. This couple was on the latest cruise to Hawaii. Before they even reached their first port, they contacted their travel agent to arrange flights home for them at the last port. All they did was complain about how boring the 4 1/2 sea days were. Even if you never had cruised before, it seems like you would have some kind of idea before hand what it would be like to be on a cruise ship for 4 1/2 days, without reaching a port. I can't believe that they could not find something to keep themselves occupied. I hope I never come across these miserable people. Here is a link to their review.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=63289

Cruising just isn't for everyone it seems. Many need to stay physically busy no matter where they are. This isn't the first time I have heard of this type of complaint, especially with lots of sea days. A shame they didn't find some of the activities onboard to their liking, but not everyone enjoys this type of a cruise.

Indeed, not everyone enjoys cruising, or sea days... and these folks didn't! :D I can't believe everything really was that awful, but it seems like for some people that it only takes one thing to go wrong, and "everything is wrong". That's what happened here.

A little pre-cruise study would have been good, though..ships do rock when they're at sea.... :)

Here's another of the Golden doing Hawaii by a first timer:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=62239

They loved it... so of course different people like different things. Expectations could be set by doing a little research before hand...

We were on the same cruise and found everything to be fantastic! Yes, the crowd was older (and we are in our 60's) but the food was great. There was enough entertainment on board that we could always find something fun to do. And yes, cruising is not for everyone. This was the second time we have taken the 14 day Hawaii cruise from L.A. and both times came back very relaxed (and isn't that what a vacations are all about)

I love the comment in their review where they couldn't believe there was only one flavor of Pringle's in the gift shop......and these are people who were critical of the ship's food. Why on earth you'd be looking for fake potato chips on a cruise ship is beyond me. Maybe there wasn't enough processed food for them.

2 years ago I took my family on their first ever cruise from Vancouver - LA - Hawaii. My sons were 20 and 22. On the Van - LA they had a hairdressers convention and my sons thought they had gone to heaven with over 100 gorgeous 20-25 yo females in the nightclub every night. After we sailed from LA they were stunned to find that the hairdressers had been replaced by umm... seniors. The average age rose from about 40 to 65. They were the youngest on board and after the first day at sea were ready to leave. By the end of the second day they wanted to get on the internet and book flights back. That evening they met a couple in their early 30s who were of the same opinion. They started chatting, went to the night club and the next morning my sons declared that now they knew someone life was looking up. After our 5 days around Hawaii my sons said they were longing for the trip back to get some rest on the sea days. They are now cruise addicts!

Yes the crowd is older, yes there are a lot of sea days however I believe you can make it as fun as you want. It is about attitude not facilities since you are already in a pretty darn good hotel. I could not find a record for the membername GalPal and I was curious to see what else they might have posted, oh well.

I just read the most unbelieveable Hawii review ever. This couple was on the latest cruise to Hawaii. Before they even reached their first port, they contacted their travel agent to arrange flights home for them at the last port. All they did was complain about how boring the 4 1/2 sea days were. Even if you never had cruised before, it seems like you would have some kind of idea before hand what it would be like to be on a cruise ship for 4 1/2 days, without reaching a port. I can't believe that they could not find something to keep themselves occupied. I hope I never come across these miserable people. Here is a link to their review.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=63289

Dan: aren't you glad they're not on our sailing! :)

I too was amazed at how negative the review was....I think their TA did them a GREAT disservice by not trying to steer them toward a cruise that would cater to their interests/activity level/age group...and I also think that GalPal didn't do her homework. Should have spent more time reading the boards before booking....live & learn, I guess.

We were on the same cruise and found everything to be fantastic! Yes, the crowd was older (and we are in our 60's) but the food was great. There was enough entertainment on board that we could always find something fun to do. And yes, cruising is not for everyone. This was the second time we have taken the 14 day Hawaii cruise from L.A. and both times came back very relaxed (and isn't that what a vacations are all about)

Joyce..

And don't forget our favorite shipboard activity.. afternoon nap time following a typical lunch of pizza, chicken sandwiches with french fries, fresh peanut butter cookies and a cool alcoholic beverage to wash it all down!

Gary & Rita (who also enjoyed it so much that we'd go back in a heeartbeat) !!

Joyce..

And don't forget our favorite shipboard activity.. afternoon nap time following a typical lunch of pizza, chicken sandwiches with french fries, fresh peanut butter cookies and a cool alcoholic beverage to wash it all down!

Gary & Rita (who also enjoyed it so much that we'd go back in a heeartbeat) !!

Gosh with that meal too often you might not have too many heartbeats left! :D

When we took the cruise from Tahiti to Hawaii I thought it was a lot of sea days. We had a brief stop at Christmas Island. After we left CI I realized, hey, I'm starting to really relax here. You do have to like who you are with and enjoy their company. My DH and I played a few games, I read a book on the balcony staring at the water while he napped. We were on the now Ocean Princess, so a small ship with really limited stuff to do. Would I do it again? In a heart beat. I'm sorry, but how on earth could you not find something that you like to eat with so many choices. Like others have said, obviously there is no way to please everyone. What I really thought was interesting as I was reading the review, its obvious that she really thought she was being fair minded and balanced in her objectivity.

I can understand a tiny bit on their frustration but not to the extent they took it.

We did the Tahitian now Ocean from Vancouver to Honolulu think two years ago. And with 4+ days at sea on the smaller vessel you could have to start looking for activities after a bit. But we suffered through it. Did hula. Very large mini with double balcony to enjoy. Attended all seminars on Hawaii and enjoyed them immensely. Art auctions w/free wine and champagne. Trivia, hate trivia. And this is just off the top of my head. Think how much fun we will have on the Golden in April.:D:D

Gosh with that meal too often you might not have too many heartbeats left! :D

Well, we didn't have all of them every day (some days we had chocolate chip cookies) !

On port days we did a lot better, not being on the ship during the afternoon hours.

Actually I'm speaking more for myself and Tom.. Joyce & Rita seem to have had a bit more willpower than we did..

Oh well.. time to eat healthy now until the next cruise in May!

Gary

My favorite part is near the end... they've decided to leave the ship at a tender port, so all their luggage has to be tendered. I'm sure this is not standard operating procedure for the ship, so things got a bit confused?... really now :rolleyes:

And also, isn't it interesting that the folks that moan and groan about a cruise always seem to find other folks that feel the same way. Must be some kind of mutual sad-sack attraction... :p

Nice review,lol

Did that Hawaii RT cruise last yr about this time and had no prob with the first 4 days but the last 4 were kinda boring. In that 20-30 age group ;)

Got alot of comments from other cruisers like, is this your honeymoon, or are you the two that are getting married, as i sheepishly laughing them off in front of the GF. :rolleyes:

I wont be doing that cruise again because I would rather do (2) 7days than (1) Hawaii.

I read this thread thinking I was going to hear about a wonderfully unbelievable trip on the Golden. What a surprise! You got to wonder why you would book this cruise when there are so many at sea days--apparently a first time cruiser. And the review is the only post on cruisecritic.com.

To each his own.

Read the review and couldn't believe they couldn't find something to do/food to like. We are in our early 40's, we love cruising and talking to people of all ages and backgrounds, I have a stressful job, and am counting the minutes until our sea days when we sail on the Golden on the 28th!

Alison

Archived