Princess Tallinn Question

starskyfan

We will be in Tallinn in June on the Star Princess. I’m trying to plan out my walking strategy for the day but I’ve read different things about where the shuttle drops you off and that might have to do with different cruise lines. Does anyone know where the Princess shuttle drops off and picks you up? Also, does anyone know what street the Princess ships dock closest to? That would help me figure out if walking from the ship would be better than taking the shuttle.

And for those who docked at 7am, how did you purchase the Tallinn card? I see there are 2 different terminals at the cruise port that sell them, but one opens at 8, and the other at 8:30. Did they happen to open early if a ship was in? I’m not sure we will really need it, but it would be convenient so I was giving it some thought.

Thanks so much.

Brenda

Can not vouch for the accuracy, but this is what it said:

Most ships arrive at the Passenger Port (Reisisadam), terminals A, B and C. A helpful tourist information booth can be found in the main hall of terminal A. Exchange offices are plentiful but not always economical. ATMs are just as easy to find. Terminal D, located just across the small neck of water, has similar services, but no tourist information. Lindaline’s boats arrive at the neighbouring Linnahall Speedboat Harbour, where a currency exchange booth is open whenever boats are arriving. Rates here are decent.

Getting to town

You can just head for the spires of Old Town on foot, but a taxi from the Passenger Port or the Linnahall should cover the short ride to town for 60-70kr ($5 - $6)

Can not vouch for the accuracy, but this is what it said:

What the article referred to was for the large ferry ships that come from Helsinki and other ports. The cruise ships have their own facility that is not inside the harbor but just outside with a good footpath to take you to the city.

Thanks to both of you, and Lair Bear, I've been to your site and it's wonderful! I'm using bits of that, bits of Rick Steves, and bits of other things I have found on google earth and putting it all together. Starting from the Fat Margaret Tower seems to be the best, but should the shuttle drop off near Viru Gate, then we'll have to adjust...unless of course we do walk the whole way. Generally that's not a problem, but I may feel a need to conserve my legs whenever possible. Brenda

Brenda,

They also have taxis available right where you exit the ship. We just took one to the top and walked down. We only had a half day in port and it was the day after our 2 day St Petesburg so walking down seemed better than up and down :) And it gave us time to see more.

Debbie

Thanks to both of you, and Lair Bear, I've been to your site and it's wonderful! I'm using bits of that, bits of Rick Steves, and bits of other things I have found on google earth and putting it all together. Starting from the Fat Margaret Tower seems to be the best, but should the shuttle drop off near Viru Gate, then we'll have to adjust...unless of course we do walk the whole way. Generally that's not a problem, but I may feel a need to conserve my legs whenever possible. Brenda

We used the combination of Lair Bear & Rick Steves walking tours when we were in Tallinn this past July and had a great day.

The other thing we have to consider is that we dock at 7, and most of the attractions don’t open until 10, so it’s hard to follow any route without backtracking. Plus, we are there on a Monday and lots of things are closed. The only good thing is we are doing b2b cruises so we will get a 2nd day in Tallin and this time on a Thursday so we can cover some things we missed. Walking downhill, at least on one of the days might be a good idea. I figure by the 2nd cruise I’ll be lucky if I can walk at all! :D Still curious if anyone knows where the Princess shuttle drops people off?

Brenda

The other thing we have to consider is that we dock at 7, and most of the attractions don’t open until 10, so it’s hard to follow any route without backtracking. Plus, we are there on a Monday and lots of things are closed. The only good thing is we are doing b2b cruises so we will get a 2nd day in Tallin and this time on a Thursday so we can cover some things we missed. Walking downhill, at least on one of the days might be a good idea. I figure by the 2nd cruise I’ll be lucky if I can walk at all! :D Still curious if anyone knows where the Princess shuttle drops people off?

Brenda

Brenda

Eat a good hearty breakfast and get off the ship after the rush is over to get off. If you disembark at about 8 and just start walking, you will be fine. Many of the attractions in Tallin aren't the ones you need to go in and visit. Many are sights to see and look at, take photo's of etc. The parts that walk uphill isn't a hard walk and it is really good to walk off those extra pounds for that hearty breakfast LOL.

Cheers

Len

Brenda,

Looking thru my notes on Tallinn, here is what I found:

From a cruise critic poster:

"Tallinn is close enough to walk to from the ship. There are shuttle buses but they leave you outside the old town and you still have to walk. "

And this was from the ports section on cruise critic:

At the edge of Old Town near where the ship shuttle drops you off, check out the fragrant Flower Market. It's an excellent photo opportunity.

I do remember the buses lined up outside Old Town. I have a picture I'll find and see if I can post for you. (I know it is strange I have a picture of shuttle buses) :cool:

If you walk, there is a blue line that goes from the ship to Old Town (my husband was upset when I went off the blue line so I remember it:))

Brenda

Eat a good hearty breakfast and get off the ship after the rush is over to get off. If you disembark at about 8 and just start walking, you will be fine. Many of the attractions in Tallin aren't the ones you need to go in and visit. Many are sights to see and look at, take photo's of etc. The parts that walk uphill isn't a hard walk and it is really good to walk off those extra pounds for that hearty breakfast LOL.

Cheers

Len

As Murphy’s law would have it, most of what we want to go inside and see, is spread out all over town. I’m sure I’ll figure it out, it will just be a little more challenging. I’m just thankful we have 2 days to do it. If we only had one day, and it was a Monday, I’d really be disappointed. I think we are going to really like this unique little town! Brenda

Here is the picture. It is the street outside Old Town. If I recall correctly (?) the ship is behind the buildings in the distance.

Sorry I am trying to post the picture online so I can make it bigger but really it does not give you the street name, sorry!

Thanks Traveler 525, I’m just a little confused as to what is meant by “Old Town.” I thought the whole thing was basically considered the Old Town. In my research I thought some people had commented being dropped off near the Fat Margaret Tower, and others near the Viru Gate. That’s why I thought it might depend on what cruise line you were on as to where the shuttle drops you. I guess it doesn’t really matter, I will plan it both ways, and if we end up walking we can do it whichever direction we prefer. Brenda

Thanks Traveler 525, I’m just a little confused as to what is meant by “Old Town.” I thought the whole thing was basically considered the Old Town. In my research I thought some people had commented being dropped off near the Fat Margaret Tower, and others near the Viru Gate. That’s why I thought it might depend on what cruise line you were on as to where the shuttle drops you. I guess it doesn’t really matter, I will plan it both ways, and if we end up walking we can do it whichever direction we prefer. Brenda

As was said, most people walk that 'Blue line' which delivers you right to Fat Margaret Gate. It is only about a 15 minute walk at most and easy to do.

Here are a few pictures of Tallin,

Fat Margaret Tower

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster507.jpg

The entrance to the old city right by Fat Margaret Tower

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster511.jpg

The Viru Gate (you can se the 'new' city right outside the gate

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster507.jpg

Some of the narrow, cobblestone streets all thru the old city

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe518.jpg

From the top of the hill, overlooking the rooftops of Tallin, out towards the harbor

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe543.jpg

There are many stairs to walk down. looking up at the stairs with one of the mnay towers at the top

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster584.jpg

Cheers

Len

Thanks Len, some nice shots. My knee hurts just looking at those stairs, but boy do I love to climb!

Thanks for the kind words. It is really not as bad as it looks. I had two hips replaced, and it never bothered me in the least.

If anyone is interested, on walking back to the ship, there are a number of booths where vendors set up shop not far from where the ships dock. If you didn't get any really good souvenirs, or forgot some one, you can get some nice things here and the prices are reasonable. We bought many things in Tallin, but could resist a few more over there. They had this beautiful tapered candle, about 12 inches high with pictures of Tallin hand painted on it. Even made it home in one piece.

Cheers

Len

As Murphy’s law would have it, most of what we want to go inside and see, is spread out all over town. I’m sure I’ll figure it out, it will just be a little more challenging. I’m just thankful we have 2 days to do it. If we only had one day, and it was a Monday, I’d really be disappointed. I think we are going to really like this unique little town! Brenda

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Why is Monday bad? We are scheduled for a July 2010 visit on a MONDAY. Helpppppppppp.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Why is Monday bad? We are scheduled for a July 2010 visit on a MONDAY. Helpppppppppp.

Unfortunately a lot of things are closed on Monday. Just from my list of things I want to see, these things are closed, but there are probably others as well: Fat Margaret Tower, St Nicholas Church, Dome Church, Kiek in de Kok Tower, & the Museum of Natural History. Also, the Kadriorg Palace is also closed, but Princess offers a tour there with a special opening if you are interested in that. I’m thinking maybe I can skip the Fat Margaret Tower since I don’t care too much about the museum part, and maybe just do St Olaf’s tower instead. They are fairly close to each other so the view might be similar. Brenda

Unfortunately a lot of things are closed on Monday. Just from my list of things I want to see, these things are closed, but there are probably others as well: Fat Margaret Tower, St Nicholas Church, Dome Church, Kiek in de Kok Tower, & the Museum of Natural History. Also, the Kadriorg Palace is also closed, but Princess offers a tour there with a special opening if you are interested in that. I’m thinking maybe I can skip the Fat Margaret Tower since I don’t care too much about the museum part, and maybe just do St Olaf’s tower instead. They are fairly close to each other so the view might be similar. Brenda

Hi Brenda. Thanks for your explanation. May I ask how one can find out what's open or closed? This is the first I even heard about closings. I'm just starting my researching and I have a Cruise Critic found walking tour in mind so I'm not even sure what to visit. Thanking you in advance.

Hi Brenda. Thanks for your explanation. May I ask how one can find out what's open or closed? This is the first I even heard about closings. I'm just starting my researching and I have a Cruise Critic found walking tour in mind so I'm not even sure what to visit. Thanking you in advance.

Usually I just google the site I want to see, and find the main website and it will usually tell you. Or I will google “operating hours” for a particular site. But I’ve also found that the sites that have tourist cards usually have a list of what is included, the cost without the card, and the hours. For Tallinn if you go here..

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/fpage/tallinncard/all

and then click on what you want to see, it gives a description and the hours. The price is off to the right.

If the link gets messed up by cruise critic, which often happens, just google Tallinn tourism card and it should be the first link, and then click on “attractions and services” for the list.

Of course there are other things to do that are free that aren’t on this list, and that’s where using google (or any search engine) comes in handy. Just type in Tallinn attractions and you’ll get lots of links to look at. I like using google earth to get a good view of the cities and you can see where everything is located. It makes planning much easier.

Hope this helps. Brenda

I’m just a little confused as to what is meant by “Old Town.” I thought the whole thing was basically considered the Old Town. In my research I thought some people had commented being dropped off near the Fat Margaret Tower, and others near the Viru Gate. That’s why I thought it might depend on what cruise line you were on as to where the shuttle drops you. I guess it doesn’t really matter, I will plan it both ways, and if we end up walking we can do it whichever direction we prefer. Brenda

Tallinn has the 'Old Town' and the newer sections. Both the Fat Margaret and Viru Gates are the entrance to the Old Town and both are within easy walking distance to the cruise ship docks. No need for shuttles or taxi unless you are handicapped or have trouble walking a mile or two total.

There are tours that include other parts of Tallinn if you have seen the Old Town before. But you should definitely concentrate on walking the alleys and main square of this facinating old fortress city first.

Tallinn has the 'Old Town' and the newer sections. Both the Fat Margaret and Viru Gates are the entrance to the Old Town and both are within easy walking distance to the cruise ship docks. No need for shuttles or taxi unless you are handicapped or have trouble walking a mile or two total.

Thanks for the confirmation Len. Ordinarily I much prefer to walk than to take any sort of transportation. However, I’m more worried about the cumulative effect of 20 days with only 3 sea days and most of the ports being walking tours. Combine that with me wanting to climb every tower I see, and I suspect my knee may not be real happy with me at the end of the trip. So there are times if I can save a few steps without missing anything important, I might hop on a bus or tram and enjoy sitting for a few minutes. That’s another reason I try to plan everything out in so much detail because I don’t want to waste any time or steps. Brenda

Just wondering...we're arriving on a Friday at 7am but only til 3. We plan to do the walking tour on the Brentje's site...can anyone tell me how much time we should allocate for a leisurely wander on this path?

Also, anyone done the tunnel tours? I'm gathering a group on our roll call to do this but also wonder how long that tour takes and if there are stairs involved as I'm saving my hips for replacement when we return?!;)

Jeani

Just wondering...we're arriving on a Friday at 7am but only til 3. We plan to do the walking tour on the Brentje's site...can anyone tell me how much time we should allocate for a leisurely wander on this path?

Also, anyone done the tunnel tours? I'm gathering a group on our roll call to do this but also wonder how long that tour takes and if there are stairs involved as I'm saving my hips for replacement when we return?!;)

Jeani

The walking tour is about two miles plus, depending on how much 'you get lost' and wander through the various alleys, etc. We did it at a very leisurely pace, had a long lunch and did lots of shopping. Started at about 9 in the morning and got back to the ship around 4 pm. But you could do it in a couple hours.

The tunnels require a descent into the 'underground' and involve stairs. In fact, the museum part is being renovated and the tunnels may not be open this summer. I suggest you contact the museum or tourist bureau to find out. The name is "Kiek in the Kök" Museum. kok@linnamuuseum.ee

Archived