"10 Things Your Cruise Line Won't Tell You"

PartyAllDaTyme

I found an interesting article (through Yahoo) from SmartMoney.com:

http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/rip-offs/10-Things-Your-Cruise-Line-Wont-Tell-You-18575/

It has a great wealth of information for the general public and potential first-time cruisers. Much of it is common knowledge to Cruise Critic members (indeed, Cruise Critic was cited as a source), but I was not aware engine problems were so much of an issue. The only things the author missed were rum runners and chair hogs!

There's a thread about this under Ask A Cruise Question, but I thought it would get more visibility here. I normally hang out on the Celebrity boards, and I thought I'd throw it up here in case anyone wants to discuss.

I found an interesting article (through Yahoo) from SmartMoney.com:

http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/rip-offs/10-Things-Your-Cruise-Line-Wont-Tell-You-18575/

It has a great wealth of information for the general public and potential first-time cruisers. Much of it is common knowledge to Cruise Critic members (indeed, Cruise Critic was cited as a source), but I was not aware engine problems were so much of an issue. The only things the author missed were rum runners and chair hogs!

There's a thread about this under Ask A Cruise Question, but I thought it would get more visibility here. I normally hang out on the Celebrity boards, and I thought I'd throw it up here in case anyone wants to discuss.

As you said many of these things are known by experienced cruisers. The first issue of ship problems of course has been most prevelent on this board with all the pod problems and the issue of sickness I think is highly out of proportion. Remember that about 4000 people get Noro on a cruise ship during the year and about 38 million Americans get it. The press loves these stories on sickness on board ships without mentioning outbreaks in schools, factories, prisions, nursing homes etc...Many of the things on the list you quickly learn after your first cruise.

Wow...while all this is true .... the article seems to stress the negative....if I were considering a cruise for the 1st time this is the kind of story which could really sway a decision to do it or not...

Just another example of our "jounralists" of today that can't tell a straight story no matter what!!

I just checked my email and would you believe I have had two friends ( who have never cruised) send me the same article with questions about why I cruise so much if all these bad things happen.

Maybe this article was written by the All Inclusive industry!?:rolleyes:

I agree the tone of the article was decidedly negative, with headers like "Our engines break down all the time" (then how on earth does any cruise line maintain any semblance of a schedule?) and “This ship is a health hazard—it’s just crawling with viruses.” (so why aren't there more fatalaties?) And the tenth point about lousy service just isn't true, IMHO.

The article does, however, serve to illustrate to someone who has never cruised before that their preconceptions about what their cruise experience will be like may be out of touch with reality. For instance, yes, the food in the MDR may not be Maxim's, but it's also comparing apples to filet mignon. At least there will be some folks that won't be saying on their first cruise, "Whattya mean, I gotta pay for drinks?!? Nobody told me that!!"

I tend to find that all of these Smart Money "10 Things..." articles are always slanted towards the negative side.

Agree that most any experienced cruiser would know these things, but they can be helpful for the newer cruiser. Especially good points about air travel arrangements and cruise insurance. I can remember the first time I cruised I automatically signed up for the cruise travel insurance without really understanding coverage limits, etc.

I don't like point #10 about not expecting great service. I think that while cruiseships today are nothing like the Titantic, they still do a great job at catering to the customer and trying to provide excellent service. Cruising is still one of the best values when it comes to vacationing.

We were on the Holland America Noordam and we did have an engine problem. First of all they kept us fully informed of what was happening and we left early for San Juan. This gave us the unique experience of sailing into beautiful San Juan at midnight! Sometimes ya gotta make lemonade out of those lemons.

We have missed ports due to weather also, but what are you going to do? Its a safety issue. Its just another great day at sea!

Archived