Post cruise Montreal / Quebec

We are taking a 7 day cruise in July, Boston to Montreal. We have a 1 day stop in Quebec City and the cruise ends in Montreal.

Post cruise we would like to spend a few days in Montreal and Quebec City. I am assuming there is much more to see in QC than we would be able to squeeze into a 1 day ship stop. I am wondering what would be a good way to divide our time in these cities. 3 days in each or 2 days in 1 and 4 in the other?

We're thinking of using the train to get between the cities. Is that a good idea, or would we be better renting a car? Are there places we should visit that we can only drive to?

Would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this.

You need more than one day in QC for sure! We did the cruise fromthere last fall and it overnighted the first night in QC, so we had 2 full days and while we covered a ton of stuff there was still more we could have done! As for Montreal, we were only there for 30min between planes so someone else will have to help with that. I have heard the train ride is amazing between Mtl and QC.

I would rent a car simply becuase the road (esp. if you go through Tres Rivoire - not sure I spelled this right) between Montreal and Quebec goes thru some charming towns along the river and it's an easy drive if you go up the right side of the river and use the "interstate" type road. The main thing is parking in Quebec City.. the hotel I say at (Chateau du Pierre) has parking arrangement nearby but because streets are so narrow etc. it's limited. In Montreal we left car at hotel and used the subway a lot to get around.

From Quebec City a car is best way to see Montmorency Falls, St Anne de Beaupre and Ile de Orleans, which is just lovely. From Montreal you can go up to the Laurentians. IMHO I'd spend more time in Quebec City but I'm partial and return often.. I absolutely love it!

Good restaurant in Quebec is Ancient Canadian.. Fixed price lunch and dinner.. lunch menu almost the same.. or try a sugar shack if you rent a car and to to Ile de Orlean!

This is a very timely thread for us as we have booked a trip this October that starts in QC (Eurodam) and ends in Ft. Lauderdale.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good reasonably priced hotel and places to eat in QC?

We met some people on a previous cruise that live in QC and they may be able to spend a day with us but they both work and we will likely have to see most of the sights alone so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good reasonably priced hotel and places to eat in QC?

It always, of course, depends on your definition of 'reasonably priced' ;). Also, Old Quebec is divided into Upper Town (at the top of the cliff) and Lower Town (at the base of the cliff). The port is in Lower Town. I have compiled a list of hotels in Lower Town within easy walking distance of the cruise terminal, in order of distance:

Hotel Port Royal: http://www.hotelportroyalsuites.com/

Hotel Dominion 1912: http://www.hoteldominion.com/

Hotel 71: http://www.hotel71.ca/

Auberge Saint-Pierre: http://www.auberge.qc.ca/en/

Auberge Saint-Antoine: http://www.saint-antoine.com/

Hotel Le Priori: http://www.hotellepriori.com/

There are also lots of options in Upper Town, as well as large chain hotels which are just outside the city walls.

I concur with the recommendations given already. We stayed in two different B&Bs on Ile d' Orleans when we were there a couple of years ago. Quite by accident, actually. But, after one night we kept asking to stay one more. Also, we found one very excellent restaurant on the island. There is an information office just as you enter the island from the single access bridge (on the island). They have information on all of the inns and B&Bs (there must be nearly a hundred). My memory is that we paid roughly $75 to $90 per night where we stayed. There are places that are both less and more expensive. The breakfasts were always superb; and, the host families great.

Trois-Rivieres translates as Three Rivers

http://www.trailcanada.com/quebec/trois_rivieres/

Thanks, Earl/// si habla espanol un poco per no Francais. :)

Are you enjoying the Olympics... my brother in law is consultant to the IOC for IBM so has been to every Olympics for 16 years.. I love Vancouver and am bummed didn't know I'd be retired now and could have come ... can't believe your weather! I've seen more snow on mountains across the harbor in early May!

Thanks, Earl/// si habla espanol un poco per no Francais. :)

Are you enjoying the Olympics... my brother in law is consultant to the IOC for IBM so has been to every Olympics for 16 years.. I love Vancouver and am bummed didn't know I'd be retired now and could have come ... can't believe your weather! I've seen more snow on mountains across the harbor in early May!

I posted 3 pictures in another thread. They did a wonderful job to get in the events on Cypress with no local snow. If Canada wins the hockey Gold it will all be perfect.We just won the ice dance.

The ice dancers were wonderful... reminded me of Gordaeeva and Grinkov even though I know they were pairs... I have become enraptured with curling... which I don't understand but have been watching.

Can't wait to bring my new DH to Vancouver for more than just a "get off the ship and head to airport" visit...

Twickenham and others who have contributed suggestions: Thank you for this useful information. We also met a couple from QC on another cruise and I am sure they will ask us to stay with them but I do not want to impose since they only have a small apartment.

And with the upcoming Canada US hockey match...........we may not even be allowed into Canada depending on the outcome

Caroline: Thank you for your great suggestion. I presume from our experiences in France that this hotel and most of the others mentioned do not have an elevator....which has become more important because of my wife's hip condition. Any info on that?

Also we are located in Kitty Hawk and may be neighbors by some coincidence!!

Ron

I love the Outer Banks although it's a journey from outside Charlotte so seldom visit..

I don't "think" the Pierre has a elevator. I have never used it but I can't quite picture it.. I know there are not many steps to second floor where I usually stay.. you can email them though? So many of the smaller hotels don't have elevators.. maybe you can poke around on Trip Advisor and find one that lists that as an amenity? If your wife has difficulty with steps or walking a lot (pavement uneven in old city) you should consider a horsedrawn carriage tour of the old "upper" town.. it's a wonderful way to see everything and the drivers are wonderful! Lower city is accessible by the funicular so no need for steps and Notre Dame church and some other sites down there not that bad a walk. There's an amazing "grafitti" painting near Notre Dame (or at least it was there 5 yrs ago) that alone makes it worth the trek IMHO!

Archived