St. P morning

M&T

We will be on a private tour that I am still working on. We are thinking of going to the Peterhof fountains and gardens. So I am thinking that we would leave around 945 to be at Peterhof fountains from 11-1. Then we would come back to St. P and do the Hermitage 2-5. Then, exterior Church on Spilled Blood and shop. Then stop at Rostral Columns for pictures. Back to the ship by 630. So, I am looking for something to do from 830-945. Marlyne

We will be on a private tour that I am still working on. We are thinking of going to the Peterhof fountains and gardens. So I am thinking that we would leave around 945 to be at Peterhof fountains from 11-1. Then we would come back to St. P and do the Hermitage 2-5. Then, exterior Church on Spilled Blood and shop. Then stop at Rostral Columns for pictures. Back to the ship by 630. So, I am looking for something to do from 830-945. Marlyne

THANKS, Marlyne, for the added details! Is there a reason you need to be back at the ship by 6:30 pm? I hope you take the time, won't be much extra, to go inside BOTH St. Isaac's and Spilled Blood. Each is super spectacular and both are open later in the evening. Below are a few added visual samples to consider. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From the Hermitage, seeing the Naval Museum, Rostral Columns:

1A-StP-WaterBldgfromHermt.jpg

Here are the architectural details at the top of the Hermitage in St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-ExtofHermitage.jpg

On the ceilings of the Church of Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg, here is an example of its highly-detailed designs:

1A-StP-Spilled3Bld.jpg

One of the many other fountains on the grounds of the Peterhof:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount4.jpg

Looking up from the Gulf of Finland along the water canal towards the Palace at the Peterhof:

A-StP-PeterhofWaterCanal.jpg

The Grand Staircase at St. Petersburg’s Hermitage:

1A-StP-HermitageGrandStairs.jpg

Am I correct that most places don't open until 11: St. Isaac's, fountains at Peterhof, stores on Nevsky? So, what do you do while waiting? Marlyne

Marlyne

If you are on a private excursion, some of the tours try and get into the Hermitage Museum before it opens, so saying you can avoid the 'crowds'. Others say it is just as crowed then as mnay tours advertise the same thing.

For our tour with SPB, we did the Hermitage in the afternoon on our second day. The mornings were used to basically tour around the city, which is facinating. They take you to places that you may not go into to, but are very attractive to see and make great photo stops. You can also be scheduled to go to Peterhof or Catherines Palace which take some time to get to. Believe me, they know exactly waht they are doing and every minute is used to help you see the most of St Petersburg. Even the 'rest room' breaks are coordinated with shopping etc etc.

There is just so much to see in St Petersburg that you will not have a dull moment.

Here are some of the amzing things you will see on your tour, just bring your camera and extra media cards

Outside Catherine's Palace you will be entertained by Russian Musicians who make your wait (if there is one) a much more pleasant experience

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster834.flv

Another video inside the Chirch of Peter and Paul wher eyou will se the tombs of the Romanov's and Peter the Great

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1019.flv

A third video of Peterhof and the amazing fountains

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster838.flv

A pix again at Peterhof looking up at the building and the fountains

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

At night, if you are in post overnight, go out onto the highest deck and look back at the lights of St Petersburg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe831.jpg

One of the mnay sights we drove by was the Smolny Cathedral, where we just stoppd for a photo op

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe860.jpg

Marlyne,

We started our tour on the first day at 7:15 am and the 2nd at 8:00 am. We went on a city tour two mornings, the first also involved a metro ride and then out to Catherines Palace. The 2nd day after our "city" tour we spent time at Peter and Paul Fortress and were able then to go to Hermitage about 11:30 am. I had heard that the fountains at Peterhof were at their best in the afternoon (pressure wise), do not know if that is true for sure, but we did go in the afternoon.

Debbie

You don't have to convince me of how beautiful St. P is.

Here is some information about our past trips and my thoughts.

This will be our third time to be in St. P. The first time was summer 2001 when we were on a land tour and stayed 4 nights. We went to Catherine’s Palace, Peterhof internal and external, Hermitage, St. Isaac’s, Peter and Paul’s Fortress, Palace Square, Aurora, Rostral Columns, Bronze Horseman, Church on Spilled Blood, Yusupov Palace, Victory Monument. Of course we drove by many other places including a university. I’m sure we went to some other places that I am forgetting. We did a folkloric evening and ballet. On our second trip, two days with a cruise ship in 2005, we did all of these places again except a daytime trip to Catherine’s Palace, folkloric and ballet. We did the evening at Catherine’s Palace and fell in love with the Amber Room.

We are considering a tour on Sunday that is offered by the ship which takes us to Catherine’s Palace, Pavlovsk and Alexander Palace. We are also considering doing the ship tour of the evening canal cruise with folkoric entertainment. We are not necessarily interested in a Folklore evening because we have done that. We thought the cruise would be a novelty to add some music.

What we missed from our other trips was the idea of walking around by the canals and Nevskiy Prospekt. We missed getting to spend our time at the Hermitage looking at what interested us most. We loved it all, but would have liked to choose when to move on.

For this private tour, I originally was looking at walking, looking inside Kazan and shopping on Nevskiy, photos of a couple of bridges, going to Hermitage for 2-3 hours, going to Church on Spilled Blood and shopping, inside visit to St. Isaac’s 45 minutes (we loved this place), and a photo stop at Rostral Columns.

Now, I am thinking I want to see Peterhof again. On our last trip, it was cloudy and/or rainy most of the time. So, I may take out the Nevskiy experience and go to Peterhof. At least I want to get a price on it.

Hope this helps everyone who is giving me advice. We are ending up doing a lot of what we did before because we liked it so much. Thanks. I appreciate all of the help from everyone. Marlyne

This will be our third time to be in St. P. The first time was summer 2001 when we were on a land tour and stayed 4 nights. We went to Catherine’s Palace, Peterhof internal and external, Hermitage, St. Isaac’s, Peter and Paul’s Fortress, Palace Square, Aurora, Rostral Columns, Bronze Horseman, Church on Spilled Blood, Yusupov Palace, Victory Monument. Of course we drove by many other places including a university. I’m sure we went to some other places that I am forgetting. We did a folkloric evening and ballet. On our second trip, two days with a cruise ship in 2005, we did all of these places again except a daytime trip to Catherine’s Palace, folkloric and ballet. We did the evening at Catherine’s Palace and fell in love with the Amber Room.

We are considering a tour on Sunday that is offered by the ship which takes us to Catherine’s Palace, Pavlovsk and Alexander Palace. We are also considering doing the ship tour of the evening canal cruise with folkoric entertainment. We are not necessarily interested in a Folklore evening because we have done that. We thought the cruise would be a novelty to add some music.

What we missed from our other trips was the idea of walking around by the canals and Nevskiy Prospekt. We missed getting to spend our time at the Hermitage looking at what interested us most. We loved it all, but would have liked to choose when to move on.

For this private tour, I originally was looking at walking, looking inside Kazan and shopping on Nevskiy, photos of a couple of bridges, going to Hermitage for 2-3 hours, going to Church on Spilled Blood and shopping, inside visit to St. Isaac’s 45 minutes (we loved this place), and a photo stop at Rostral Columns.

Now, I am thinking I want to see Peterhof again. On our last trip, it was cloudy and/or rainy most of the time. So, I may take out the Nevskiy experience and go to Peterhof. At least I want to get a price on it.

Hope this helps everyone who is giving me advice. We are ending up doing a lot of what we did before because we liked it so much. Thanks. I appreciate all of the help from everyone. Marlyne

You might want to consider spb-tours which has added two new evening options. They include various options with canal ride, shopping on Nevsky, and vodka-tasting. You can contact Vika and she will be very prompt in answering any questions. Check out their updated web site- www.spb-tours.com

At Catherine's Palace, here is the spectacular Amber Room:

A-StP-CathPalAmberRm.jpg

Well, Terry, we always enjoy your posts and your pictures. But did you notice that in your spectacular picture of the amber room you also managed to include the NO PICTURES sign??

As tourists we have to remember that authorities are entitled to make their own rules, and just because we might be able to sneak a picture without getting caught does not make it right. It might result in certain attractions being put behind ropes, or even closed.

In the Egyptian Museum I actually saw a camera confiscated by a guard.

Sorry M&T, you hadn't indicated that you had previously been to St Petersburg. Hope you enjoyed reliving some of the great things there.

Cheers

Len

Since I post several places, I end up forgetting what I posted where. I think for this thread I wanted ideas on what to do from 830-10. I have found that St. Nicholas church is open at 7 at least according to a guidebook. Those pictures are gorgeous. But, are we not allowed to take pictures at Catherine's Palace especially the Amber Room. When we were there before, we could. Marlyne

Since I post several places, I end up forgetting what I posted where. I think for this thread I wanted ideas on what to do from 830-10. I have found that St. Nicholas church is open at 7 at least according to a guidebook. Those pictures are gorgeous. But, are we not allowed to take pictures at Catherine's Palace especially the Amber Room. When we were there before, we could. Marlyne

Marlyne

We took pictures in Catherine's Palace. I know Terry has a picture from the a

Amber Room that includes a sign about no picture taking, but I really do not think that applied to the entire place. I have maybe 100 pictures that I took inside Catherine's Palace and everyone was also taking pictures. There was no way, at that time, where no picture taking was forbidden.

We toured at many places, like Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, parts of the Hermitage, where they said no picture taking and I acknowledged that. But, for the most part, I believe you can take pictures thru most of Catherine's Palace.

Cheers

Len

Marlyne We took pictures in Catherine's Palace. I know Terry has a picture from the a Amber Room that includes a sign about no picture taking, but I really do not think that applied to the entire place. I have maybe 100 pictures that I took inside Catherine's Palace and everyone was also taking pictures. There was no way, at that time, where no picture taking was forbidden. We toured at many places, like Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, parts of the Hermitage, where they said no picture taking and I acknowledged that. But, for the most part, I believe you can take pictures thru most of Catherine's Palace.

Cheers, Len

YES, Len is correct that you can take picture inside all of the upstairs rooms on the second floor at Catherine's Palace. The Amber Room did have that sign posted, but you know how sometimes when your camera is resting below your chest, not at eye level, it will accidentally go off. No flash. Just kind of snapped. About three times. Those things can happen.

Somewhat surprisingly, Catherine's Palace does NOT have an added charge for the photo permit as is done at the Hermitage, the two key main Cathedrals, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

YES, Len is correct that you can take picture inside all of the upstairs rooms on the second floor at Catherine's Palace. The Amber Room did have that sign posted, but you know how sometimes when your camera is resting below your chest, not at eye level, it will accidentally go off. No flash. Just kind of snapped. About three times. Those things can happen.

HMMMM. "Love your humor"?? Well ... no.

Respect is the word I taught my kid. Disrespect does not amuse me.

Guess I am an old grouch. I drive at the speed limit too.

Please, folks, don't take pictures where it is prohibited, "accidentally" or not!

:(

Archived