Great cruise on the Island to the Panama Canal

Cozzette2

What a great cruise! 10 days is sure the way to go. Those extra days were a couple of the best excursion days that we would have missed with a 7 day itinerary.

The ship, showing some wear yet still so clean and beautiful is fabulous . With just the right amount of passenger to space ratio, you never felt crowded, well OK, the buffet always felt crowded except the night we went for a late snack at 11 p.m. and everyone else was in bed.

Being a 10 day cruise and the Panama Canal it was a slightly older crowd with only 7 children on board. It was a great group of passengers. Everyone seemed to have a blast and the entertainment staff was the best I have ever seen. They had lots of activities and the shows were pretty good. A couple of the comedians were a riot. The only complaint and if you have sailed Princess you know it is the size of the theater, it is so small.

One night we were at a show in the Universal lounge and it was crowded so passengers just started bringing in the lounge chairs from the hall way. No member of the staff could get them to move the chairs back and return for the later show. I don't even remember what show, but I will never forget this woman who out weighed the bartender 2 to one telling him where he could put his blender. We saw her many times and she was always causing grief. She was the exception, the group on this cruise were polite, cheerful [ probably to be out of the snow] and even well dressed in the dining room.

The food was the best ever, the itinerary was super and the staff was the best we have ever had.

We did hit a couple of chilly days, Costa Rica was raining and Grand Caymen windy and cloudy. The sea was like glass though, the whole cruise. We had to check out on the deck to see if we were really moving.

We had a balcony on the Carrib. It was mid ship, so it was close to nothing which worked out well, we had to walk to everything. It probably saved me from morbid obesity. Honestly, can anyone eat 7 desserts a day and not put on weight.

We had the ultimate balcony breakfast as we were sailing into Cartajena, it was really the "ultimate". It was a gift so we didn't have to pay $32. I don't thinik it was $32 good.

One of the best things on this cruise, everyone went to bed after the show and we had the run of the place. Most nights, not a soul in the pool or hot tubs.

A family member summed it up this way" this is a bit of all right'. and it was.

Kris

For those of you still anticipating your cruise on the Island, it will be everything you are hoping for and more. What I love on the Island is the teak Promenade deck that wraps around and the teak loungers, We saw Cuba on the first sea day, it is huge. It took us all day to pass it. The Canal is so amazing. We got up at 4:45 and went to the front to the Carrib deck and it was already crowded, no secret anymore. Don't try to sleep in that day.

They have a day pass in the spa for $20 and some of our family took advantage of that. They have these heated tile loungers and several saunas, showers etc. It seemed a good deal. We never tried the Sanctuary, although my husband got kicked out on the Canal day, taking pictures. I guess the aft door is still a secret to him. You really don't need to sneak into the Sanctuary for pictures.

There seemed to be plenty of loungers and room in the pool.

The food, really was the best on any cruise so far. Our waiter is from India as is my BIL and they arranged with the head waiter to serve us a traditional Indian dinner. If that isn't going above and beyond I don't know what is.

I wish we had more time in some of the ports there is so much to see in all of them. I would love to see some overnighters. Aruba was such a short day I think we had to be back by 12:00. I was the best weather and a great beach. We just got dropped off by taxi at Palm Beach and got hooked up with some chairs. They also have lots of water activities if you are so inclined.

All in all, I would do the same exact trip and ship in a heartbeat.

Kris

We loved the fairwell show with Don Sherman, he was pretty darn funny. We also really liked Scott Wyler he was hilarious. It is hard to tell who will still be there though. Adrian Zmed was doing his last show [ supposedly ] Do you Wanna Dance was pretty good as well.

They have Western Night theme and Toga as well as a sock hop, bring some 50's clothes, atleast socks. we didn't know about any of the theme night so were sort of unprepared, they do provide the sheets for the Toga party though so you don't have to take them off your bed.:D

If the band Passion is still there they were great!!!!

I am very interested in the partial-transit cruise, but DH doesn't like very hot and humid weather. I know you are near the equator for much of this cruise, but while you were on-board was it hot/sticky in the open areas?

We were on the Island full transit at Christmas, I didn't find it uncomfortable at any time on ship. The excursions could be pretty warm, though, particularly Costa Rica!

JoAnn

Maybe it is just the luck of the draw but we only felt really hot in Cartagena. Grand Cayman was actually a bit chilly with wind and clouds. Costa Rica was raining, warm rain, but not hot that's for sure.

The only day I wished I had had a sweatshirt would have been on the boat ride to the Stingray sandbar. The day going through the canal we had a nice breeze.

One thing I forgot to mention is the unlimited beverage sticker for $90. Not only soft drinks but smoothies and milk shakes. It was a great deal and we definitely got out moneys worth.

I am very interested in the partial-transit cruise, but DH doesn't like very hot and humid weather. I know you are near the equator for much of this cruise, but while you were on-board was it hot/sticky in the open areas?

Yes. It was hot and humid in Cartagena (although not unbearably so for me, but your husband if he's averse to h&h probably wouldn't enjoy the walking tour!). On Canal day, it got very hot and humid as the day wore on. So much so that there was a point when even I, confirmed sun-worshipper and lover of heat and humidity, had to actually step back in the shade on the Promenade Deck. Standing out on the open deck in the direct sun during the transit did get to be brutal. That said, there are plenty of indoor and shady spots outdoors for viewing -- it's not absolutely necessary to be right up at the railing in full sun. But do expect heat and humidity.

Archived