How do you arrange your luggage

jcruise67

Several cruises ago my wife and I packed separate luggage. His and hers. Boy, was that a mistake. A nightmare is more like it. My luggage was lost and she retrieved all of hers at baggage claim. You should have seen me scamper all over the South Beach area buying clothes. I lost everything!!! Though it was recovered after we returned home, it didn't help. All my new clothes, bathing suits, my TUX, etc. was lost. It ended up in Dallas believe it or not. American Airlines gave me a voucher for $200 so I could purchase some things, but it was not near enough. You could just imagine how furious I was. That was the last time we did that. Now we pack our luggage with each of our stuff. What a lessen to be learned.(LOL)

John

We had a suitcase lost many years ago when DH was in military and we were coming home on leave. Unfortunately, the missing luggage had all of the Christmas gifts we were bringing home for the family.

Learned to always mix our clothing and other items among different luggage bags.

There's a lot to say about the old saying: Never put all of your eggs in one basket.

Dianne

Make sure you pack some of everything in each bag, so you have clothes that actually go together. I won't do you any good to have dress shirts with only shorts and no casual shirts.

Just a note, make sure you remove any old airline tags before checking in, plus have two luggage tags on the outside, one on the inside of each bag. I also include a reduced copy of our travel itinerary on the outside, one on the inside of the bag.

We always cross-pack at least somewhat. Being paranoid, I usually pack a change of socks & underwear at least in the carry-on (we use small backpacks, so there's not much room) in case of a total luggage loss - one can survive an extra day or so in grubby clothes with clean underwear :eek:

We experienced much the same as John....except my husbands luggage went on a different cruise than we were on. So now we cross pack and also take as much as possible as carry-ons. Also, the cruise people wanted a list of what was in the lost luggage, so I make a brief list as to what is in each piece of luggage and carry that list on, as well.

The post concerning tipping at the cruise ports has me thinking about our lost luggage and if tipping has an effect on whether you get your luggage or not. The one and only time this happened was in San Juan when we used the transfer and never had an opportunity to tip. By the way, we will never use transfers again.

DW hates having anyone else's stuff with hers, and being the only male in the family I get relegated the smallest suitcase.:rolleyes: I'll have to show her this thread. This time we have a non-stop, so I'm hoping there's less chance of a mishap.

We've packed half and half in both suitcases ever since our first cruise. Unfortunately, on our last cruise it didn't matter - our luggage was lost and we didn't see it until day 3 of the cruise(we even missed the first formal night - which was a major disappointment). I washed our undies in the sink nightly, and we had "emergency" laundry done every night with return delivery just prior to 7AM. Once our luggage arrived, I practically threw the first 3-day outfits away as we were so sick of being in them.

This time I'm packing an extra change of clothing from inside out for each of us in our carry-ons in zip-lock bags in case the same thing occurs. Who cares if there are wrinkles, we'll at least have a change of clothing till our luggage catches up with us.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Great tip!:) We've been lucky & only had one suitcase disappear. It was on our 1st cruise, & fortunately it was on the return trip home. It was all DH's stuff, including a Tux. The cruise line has lost it, but returned it about 2 weeks later.

I never would have thought of packing this way. :o I did learn a lesson on a flight I took last week. I had packed all my prescription meds. that I didn't need until nighttime, in my suitcase. After checking my luggage, I was informed that our plane was late, & we may not be able to make the connection. We may have to take a flight the next day, & our luggage would be at the destination airport. Here I was with only half my meds., and maybe no flight. :eek: I have flown numerous times packing my luggage this same way, but never again. I learned that lesson quickly. I hope I can remember to pack your way, so I won't need to learn that lesson the hard way also. :P

I could probably get away with wearing DH's clothes, but he could not wear mine, even though when I gush over a new outfit he asks if he can wear it, too. Unfortunately, I could get away with wearing his shoes. Perhaps I should dress like a man when we travel.

We started splitting up clothes in the two suitcases and now make sure that there is a swimsuit in each, dress clothes/playclothes/underwear in each too.

BUT for whatever reason, on our last trip (not a cruise) we forgot our own rules - I think I was stressed from work - and of course we landed in Durango Colorado with his suitcase..... mine stayed in Denver. What a way to start a vacation. It did show up a day later but I was pretty bummed out until it got there.

Anyway - good reminder. I'm heading to Cancun in March and already planning the packing process.

These are all good suggestions ...

I have one question though -- between airlines and cruise lines, who loses more luggage??

My BF & I are cruising together soon, and are meeting from different destinations ... he from Philadelphia airport, me from Logan in Boston. We wont have a chance to "mix" the luggage till we meet up in Miami two days before the cruise (well, two days depending on snow storms in the north east!!)

Do you think it would still be a good idea to do this? Or should we just have faith that if our luggage makes it to Miami, then losing it once we get on the ship would be highly unlikely? We will be staying at the Sheraton Biscayne Bay and then will be transporting our luggage to the port ourselves.

Thanks for any advice!!!

If your luggage makes it to the pier it will in all probablity arrive at your cabin. If lost by the airlines it may not make in time for the sailing. You are going in 2 days early so even if the airlines loose the baggage it should catch up to you in time.

I would suggest that your carry on is also a potential overnight bag. Valuables and things you will want to have in case of lost luggage should be kept with you "just in case".

As far as blending your luggage when you meet up, it couldn't hurt to have a few things moved from one to the other.

Charlie

We put everything in stacks by person and type of clothing in the guest room. Then we open all the suitcases, and divide each stack among the suitcases so that all suitcases contain every type of clothing.

That's what we do too. Plus, we have a change of clothes for each in a carry on and all prescription meds. Itineraries are everywhere too. Never thought of listing what's in each suitcase though. Great, one more thing for me to obsess about! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for bringing this up!

I never thought of one bag being lost meaning my bf or me would go without clothes for the entire cruise...

After discussing this at home we now decided to take one carry-on each with the necessities,(bad spelling, I'm swedish okey?) meaning some undergarment, cameras, laptop, a tee, shorts, bathingsuits, one pair of nicer pants and a shirt/blouse.

and then mix the two suitcases that we check with the rest.

I can actually fit everything into my carry-on and purse.

Since I'm doing some shopping in Orlando and Miami before the cruise.

But thank you again!!

Everyone have a lovely cruise!

/Sandra

Since we book cruises 14 days or longer and do hotel stays pre and post we always take 4 suitcases. One quarter of DH's in each suitcase and 1/4 of my things in each suitcase. I keep computer lists for each suitcase - update whenever we get any new clothing. I take that list along with me so that I know what is in each suitcase.

Also I pack everything in plastic sweater bags, etc. Then all we have to do is pull the bags out of the suitcases and just stow all the underwear, etc. right in the drawers.

After my nightmare experience, I would definitely think that your carry-on is very important to your travel. I carry the largest carry-on permitted by the airline, and it truly helps. I also carry-on my garment bag now too. (LOL)

John

What is the largest carry-on you can bring on an airline?

Check with your airline carrier, but most are around 22 X 11 X 9 equalling 42 linear inches. Be aware, if the plane is full, the largest carry on bags may be taken off and put into the cargo hold. We take only the valuables with us, it's a bit of a chance not taking extra clothes, but a pleasure to pack lighter and not have all the bulky carry on bags. Our carry ons consist of a camera bag, a small gym sized bag (with my purse inside it) and one small cosmetic/toiletry case.

Go through all your purses and wallets before any travel, take out what you don't need and that means almost everything. Or, better yet, get and use a small travel wallet, you can't put much in it. I have an aunt who can't let go of anything and travels very heavy. Her wallet is so crammed full of useless plastic cards, receipts etc...that she carries a plastic baggie for her money. We each take a credit card (in case one is stolen) our drivers license and health insurance cards, everything else stays home. We pair up on the toiletry items we can and take the smallest amount we can get away with for the rest. I have a great little expanding bag that fold to the size of a key chain I take along in case we have more to pack on the return trip.

after cruisin many times cross pack half in your suit case half in another

we carry these items in our carry ons and do not let anyone take your

carry on.

2 pairs socks

2 pairs shorts/capris

1 dress pant /polo

1sundress

1 swim suit /trunks

2 underwear

3 light shirts

all medications which by the way leave in the bottle with original pr #

as it can be confiscated:mad:

but all the rest it should be smooth sailing:)

We travel with just carry-on bags, 21" roll-ons, work fine. Makes travelling a breeze through airports and cruise terminals and you never have to worry about losing your luggage. Even with just a carry-on I often find I end up packing stuff that I never use.

Archived