Shorts appropriate in dining rooms?

Merlinite

[quote name='pg.']The truth is ,, most cruisers on the ships do NOT go on Cruise Critic,, so will have no idea they are not following certain rules. They do not read the little booklets,, and [B]they figure they can wear what they would normally wear on vacation[/B].[/quote]I don't know about you but I always plan to dress nicely no matter what the vacation (unless it's camping and a cruise is not an outdoor camping junket). I have too much self-respect. And I don't feel sorry for those who don't read the booklets or pre-cruise information, show up in shorts and are asked to change for dinner.

Pam, I agree with your observations. Additionally, it has been our experience, after about 25 cruises, that most passengers possess good taste and proper manners; and, it is only a minority of passengers who are deficient in the aforesaid regard and who have no qualms in disregarding the reasonable suggested dress code. We no not allow ourselves to be concerned with those types; we simply ignore them.

[quote name='WeBeGone']Our experience is that very young children can wear most anything, but age 8 and 10 boys should wear long pants.[/quote]

I also agree with this. Get them some inexpensive khakis. As the mother of two daughters, it seems to me like it must be so much easier to dress boys!;) Also, I've always felt that making my kids dress "up" even a little helps to reinforce the "be on your best behavior" message.

My younger DD hates shorts and always wants to wear skirts, skorts or dresses, so she's easy to deal with on a cruise. The older one, however, is now 13 and in a phase when all she wants to wear are jeans and graphic T's. Shopping with her always involves much grumbling and complaining and we're both glad when it's over. :rolleyes: Even so, I've managed to get her a casual sun-dress and some dressier slacks (one white pair and one gray from this past winter). Now that we have them in the closet, they come in handy for lots of occasions when I want them to dress "up" but not as fancy as on formal nights: piano recitals, dinner with the grandparents, school or church programs, etc.

I don't know about you but I always plan to dress nicely no matter what the vacation (unless it's camping and a cruise is not an outdoor camping junket). I have too much self-respect. And I don't feel sorry for those who don't read the booklets or pre-cruise information, show up in shorts and are asked to change for dinner.

Pam,, "dress nicely" is subjective. Some may not look nice in shorts,, and some may not own dressy shorts,, but the OP looked nice in her outfit,, and she was wearing a longer short.. often known as a "city short".

So she DID DRESS NICELY... so you needed use "dress nicely" as a qualifier.

I have seen cruisers who are within guidelines of dress code,, but look crappy,, you know,, sequined t shirts with pictures of cats on them, and cheap polyester pants with elastic waistbands,, not classy at all,, but within guidelines. So , dressing nicely is NOT required,, just within guidelines.

Dress code threads always disintergrate into the "slobs" versus " I dress nicely" lines.. and that is NOT fair.

Unlike Jeans threads, this is far more cut and dry. Princess very clearly states that they are not allowed in the MDR at Dinner. There's absolutely no point is pressing the fact that someone looks good in them. I'm sure Angelina Jolie looks great in Saran Wrap, but it's not part of the dress code.

Archived