Shorts appropriate in dining rooms?

Merlinite

We are leaving soon for the FLL -> ACA full transit Panama Canal cruise. Wanting to pack as little as possible, are shorts ok in the dining room on casual nights? along with a nice shirt... of course. TIA

Not only are shorts not OK for dinner, but they will usually ask you to please dine at the buffet if you are in shorts, and turn you away from the dining room in the evening. Better take another suitcase. ;)

When we were on board the Sapphire last week, there were large signs

posted stating, "No shorts and no tank tops," when you walked into the

dining rooms and very large font in the Patter this time reminding guests

that they were welcome to dine at the buffet if they did not wish to

dress appropriately.

We are leaving soon for the FLL -> ACA full transit Panama Canal cruise. Wanting to pack as little as possible, are shorts ok in the dining room on casual nights? along with a nice shirt... of course. TIA

Ignoring the dress code, you will probably be more comfortable with longer pants for the evenings as the air conditioning can get quite cool.

We did a 10-day Caribbean in Dec '08 on RC and the head waiter encouraged us to wear shorts because of the weather. I thought it was strange but made sense at the same time. Been on several Princess cruises and observed some passengers wearing nice golf-type shorts in the main dining rooms but that doesn't mean it is ok.

We did a 10-day Caribbean in Dec '08 on RC and the head waiter encouraged us to wear shorts because of the weather. I thought it was strange but made sense at the same time. Been on several Princess cruises and observed some passengers wearing nice golf-type shorts in the main dining rooms but that doesn't mean it is ok.

Every Princess dining room we have been in have been very well air conditioned. My wife always has to take a wrap because it is too "cool" for her.

Now this is just for men right? I often, as a woman, have worn nice burmuda length shorts with a cute top and sandles with no problem.

Occasionally you'll see people with shorts on during dinner but it's only because they slip past the checkpoint & get away with it but it is rare even for women. The head waiter can't possibly check each person at every meal.

Now this is just for men right? I often, as a woman, have worn nice burmuda length shorts with a cute top and sandles with no problem.

I think that women can get away with wearing dressy linen, rayon or silk shorts. Just walk with knees touching so they can't see the crotch. They will think you are wearing a skirt.:D

I wouldn't count on it. I have seen ladies turned away on at least a couple of occasions and they were wearing dressy shorts with nice accessories. They were irate and argued with the headwaiter, but it didn't do them any good at all. Off they went to change or head for the buffet.

Really?? This is makingme nervous. Ive sailed RCCL 5 times...this will be my first with Princess and I have always worn on RCCL nice tan or black capri or burmuda lengths with a nice top. I would like to know now before I pack if this is going to be an issue for Princess. Here is an example of something Ive worn to dinner on a cruise. Thoughts??? Would you say this is inappropriate?

1r2kb7.jpg

Really?? This is makingme nervous. Ive sailed RCCL 5 times...this will be my first with Princess and I have always worn on RCCL nice tan or black capri or burmuda lengths with a nice top. I would like to know now before I pack if this is going to be an issue for Princess. Here is an example of something Ive worn to dinner on a cruise. Thoughts??? Would you say this is inappropriate?

Chrissy, on Princess, for casual evening meals in the dining room, the shorts you are wearing in the photo are not appropriate. Sorry. Princess is a step up from RCCL.

Ok here is another question. Dont blast me on this.....like I sid this is a new cruise line for me. What about a dressier dark denim jean on a more casual night with a nice shoe....NO sneakers of course and a nice shirt. My hubby and I have done this and we do it at home at nice steakhouses etc. Would that be ok if done tastefully??

Ok here is another question. Dont blast me on this.....like I sid this is a new cruise line for me. What about a dressier dark denim jean on a more casual night with a nice shoe....NO sneakers of course and a nice shirt. My hubby and I have done this and we do it at home at nice steakhouses etc. Would that be ok if done tastefully??

Jeans with a nice top are fine on casual evenings even with sneakers if you like. They never question jeans unless they're the ones with holes.

Ok well thank you. I had no idea. Better to now now before I go and can pack differently. Capris...below the knee will be ok though....not denim of course.

What's wrong with denim? I wear denim capris in addition to the others and they are perfectly fine with a nice top and sandals.

Archived