Shorts appropriate in dining rooms?

Merlinite

Ok here is another question. Dont blast me on this.....like I sid this is a new cruise line for me. What about a dressier dark denim jean on a more casual night with a nice shoe....NO sneakers of course and a nice shirt. My hubby and I have done this and we do it at home at nice steakhouses etc. Would that be ok if done tastefully??
Dressier jeans are OK for Smart Casual (they are "Smart", not plain Casual -- there's a difference) nights. Remember, you're not at a steakhouse but in the equivalent of a very nice restaurant.

Sorry, but sshorts are not allowed inthe dining rooms for dinner. You can wear them to the buffet.

Really!? My wife gets mad when I come out of the shower in my shorts and want to wear them around the house! But I can actually go to the buffet in my shorts??? :confused:

I don't know what society is coming to! :eek:

Are you then saying that I should be wearing my skirts below the knee? :confused: Not going to happen.

I agree. If it is halfway or more down to my knee, I'd say it is fine. I wore skirts last cruise that were above the knee. No one said a thing.

I have never sailed Princess. I am going for the first time March 21st on Caribbean Princess.....southern caribbean. I wore the outfit posted on a Royal Caribbean Cruise last May...on the Adventure of the Seas...also a S Caribbean cruise. Ive been on 5 RCCL cruises and I've worn things like that everytime.

What's wrong with denim? I wear denim capris in addition to the others and they are perfectly fine with a nice top and sandals.

I have no issues with denim at all. I mean come on....people are wearing denim on the red carpet now even!!! I mentioned that way b/c when I think of "my" personal denim capris....the are not appropriate. They are tight, faded, torn looked denim capris. So I have no issues with you wearing yours at all. Personally I think the whole dress code thing is a bit much. I think people should use common sense, but I really do not think my choices are inappropriate or untasteful. I could see if I was wearing regular shorts or a bathing suit/coverup etc. That I would not do, but shorts that are to the knee like the ones in my photo I feel are fine.

I have no issues with denim at all. I mean come on....people are wearing denim on the red carpet now even!!! I mentioned that way b/c when I think of "my" personal denim capris....the are not appropriate. They are tight, faded, torn looked denim capris. So I have no issues with you wearing yours at all. Personally I think the whole dress code thing is a bit much. I think people should use common sense, but I really do not think my choices are inappropriate or untasteful. I could see if I was wearing regular shorts or a bathing suit/coverup etc. That I would not do, but shorts that are to the knee like the ones in my photo I feel are fine.

You may feel they are fine, but the maitre d' will not. No shorts in the diningroom at dinner and that rule is enforced on all ships. You can of course test the waters, but you'll be mighty embarrassed if you're turned away.

I agree with the knee being the cutoff point for women. Below the knee, fine. Above the knee, no.

Oh, for goodness sakes.... the above statement was referring to the length of the capri-leg... not the length of a skirt.

You folks should read the whole thread, before shouting your self-righteous indignation! *chuckle*

OP--it really doesn't matter what anyone tells you about this subject. Princess states very clearly what their dress code is. Just read what Princess dress code is from the link provide above & below on PAGE 15....it clearly states: No Shorts or Jeans in main Dining room during dinner...even on Casual nights!

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/other/Cruise_Answer_Book.pdf

[quote name='monakayk'][COLOR=purple] OP--it really doesn't matter what anyone tells you about this subject. Princess states very clearly what their dress code is. Just read what Princess dress code is from the link provide above & below on PAGE 15....it clearly states: [B][U]No Shorts or Jeans in main Dining room during dinner...even on Casual nights![/U][/B][/COLOR]

[URL]http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/other/Cruise_Answer_Book.pdf[/URL][/quote]

Princess changed their dress code in relation to jeans a while back. The most current dress code should be found on their website, not a brochure that is outdated.

[COLOR=dimgray][B]Smart Casual[/B]
Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.[/COLOR]
[LIST]
[*][COLOR=dimgray]Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies[/COLOR]
[*][COLOR=dimgray]Pants and open-neck shirts for men[/COLOR]
[/LIST][COLOR=dimgray]Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.[/COLOR]

[quote name='monakayk'][COLOR=purple] OP--it really doesn't matter what anyone tells you about this subject. Princess states very clearly what their dress code is. Just read what Princess dress code is from the link provide above & below on PAGE 15....it clearly states: [B][U]No Shorts or Jeans in main Dining room during dinner...even on Casual nights![/U][/B][/COLOR]

[URL]http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/other/Cruise_Answer_Book.pdf[/URL][/quote]

I agree with you, however, it appears that most posters want to hear something different from other CC posters?? Doesn't compute with me. I am relatively new at posting here but have lurked for a long time and also have a lot of Princess cruises in my portfolio, however, it appears that dress code threads are very dangerous to enter into.

[quote name='monakayk'][COLOR=purple] OP--it really doesn't matter what anyone tells you about this subject. Princess states very clearly what their dress code is.[/COLOR][/quote]

For the record, I completely agree with you here, but as we all know, some will push the boundaries. So many say they will wear what they want because it's their vacation and they've paid for it.

Honestly, I think it's a matter of [B]respect[/B] - whether or not you respect the guidelines of the host, who in this case, is Princess Cruise Lines.

On one cruise my husband broke his ankle. He had a splint that would not allow for the wearing of dress pants as he could not get them over the splint.
We made arrangements with the dining staff for him to wear dress shorts into the dining room -- he also wore a sport jacket and dress shirt and tie as he hobbled on his crutches and we sat in the back of the dinning room as not to draw attention to the shorts and Princess was wonderful.
This was an exception to the rule due to the circumstances beyond our control. If they had not honored our request , we would have used room service or eaten at the buffet.

Enjoy your first princess cruise, you will be back!

[quote name='cruiser113']On one cruise my husband broke his ankle. He had a splint that would not allow for the wearing of dress pants as he could not get them over the splint.
We made arrangements with the dining staff for him to wear dress shorts into the dining room -- he also wore a sport jacket and dress shirt and tie as he hobbled on his crutches and we sat in the back of the dinning room as not to draw attention to the shorts and Princess was wonderful.
This was an exception to the rule due to the circumstances beyond our control. If they had not honored our request , we would have used room service or eaten at the buffet.

Enjoy your first princess cruise, you will be back![/quote]

Of course that would be an exception!! :eek:

[quote name='RN7997']Personally I think the whole dress code thing is a bit much. I think people should use common sense, but I really do not think my choices are inappropriate or untasteful. I could see if I was wearing regular shorts or a bathing suit/coverup etc. That I would not do, but shorts that are to the knee like the ones in my photo I feel are fine.[/quote]You are aware of the dress code as you are asking about it... so to criticize Princess now when you've never been on a Princess cruise doesn't make sense. Princess is not RCI so to moan and groan that you've always been able to get away with wearing shorts when it's not allowed on Princess in the dining rooms in the evening also doesn't make sense. You can always try to get away with it and have the attitude that it's your cruise and the heck with anyone else, but be prepared to be turned away by the Maitre D' and asked to change. That's the way it is.

You asked, people have answered. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean you're right and Princess is "old fashioned" or those who have included links to the dress code are "fashion police."

[quote name='RN7997']I have no issues with denim at all. I mean come on....people are wearing denim on the red carpet now even!!! I mentioned that way b/c when I think of "my" personal denim capris....the are not appropriate. They are tight, faded, torn looked denim capris. So I have no issues with you wearing yours at all. Personally I think the whole dress code thing is a bit much. I think people should use common sense, but I really do not think my choices are inappropriate or untasteful. I could see if I was wearing regular shorts or a bathing suit/coverup etc. That I would not do, but shorts that are to the knee like the ones in my photo I feel are fine.[/quote]

I can't believe I'm posting on a dress code thread:eek:!

You can't [I]expect[/I] people to have "common sense". If Princess gives an inch, some people will want to take a mile!

On the Crown one night I saw a female waiting to get into the dining room with gray sweat pants on pushed up to her knees. I thought it was tacky, but it didn't bother me enough to notice whether she was admitted into the dining room or not. Kind of wonder whether it goes to the "above" the knee or "below" the knee rule:eek:!

[quote name='Pam in CA']You are aware of the dress code as you are asking about it... so to criticize Princess now when you've never been on a Princess cruise doesn't make sense. Princess is not RCI so to moan and groan that you've always been able to get away with wearing shorts when it's not allowed on Princess in the dining rooms in the evening also doesn't make sense. You can always try to get away with it and have the attitude that it's your cruise and the heck with anyone else, but be prepared to be turned away by the Maitre D' and asked to change. That's the way it is.

You asked, people have answered. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean you're right and Princess is "old fashioned" or those who have included links to the dress code are "fashion police."[/QUOTE]

Very well put Pam, thanks.

Mike:)

Archived