Golden Princess Mattresses

luv4cruises

Reviews on Cruise Critic say the mattresses are awful. Some say they have seen mattresses being loaded on the ship in different ports. I will be on the Baja Deck Balcony cabin on June 12. Has anyone been on the Baja Deck recently? How were the mattresses?

We had a wonderful mattress on the Golden a couple of weeks ago. We were on the Baja Deck B749. This was in a full suite and I have heard that the beds in the full suites are better than the standard balcony cabins.

People who were on our roll call told us that their beds were fine, with the exception of one couple who found theirs uncomfortable even with a egg crate on it.

If you enjoy an extra firm mattress (no matter which Princess ship you sail on), then you will enjoy the beds. If not, you might try asking your room steward for a foam mattress pad, it does help a bit, a very little bit. But Princess uses the extra firm mattresses which some of us find unbearable, especially if they are new. So, watch out what you wish for when it comes to new mattresses on Princess. lol

On the Sapphire 2 weeks ago the mattress were horrible and I mean

horrible. I liked the mattresses on the Sapphire a couple years ago, like

4 years ago, but I'd forgotten that the mini-suites and suites get the

better mattresses and we were in a regular cabin this last time, and

the you could feel the springs, and it sagged so badly

I used to love the mattresses. Now i hate them. Guess I'm aging.;)

• 2 months later...

I have to laugh....a little, at the mattress threads that run here nearly continuously. I guess I am the exception, being on a cruise is good enough for me even if the bed is broken glass:D, I was recently on the Golden and found the beds to be just great (for me) I requested an egg crate and would have been fine without it.

My room steward said they were removing the bed frames by groups and taking them downstairs and modifying their structure by adding a welded center frame member to stop the sagging, that is happening to all of them. My bed frame on Caribe had this modification.

If I really really had to complain about the bed, it would be the pillow that has very little volume and I needed three of them to support my head and neck.

Enjoy your cruise, the Golden is wonderful!

My room steward said they were removing the bed frames by groups and taking them downstairs and modifying their structure by adding a welded center frame member to stop the sagging, that is happening to all of them. My bed frame on Caribe had this modification.

Jeez, this makes me feel so much better....NOT! It sounds like they're making them worse. The beds are as hard as a rock. It's my only real complaint about Princess. If you like an extra firm mattress you'll be fine. If not, ask for a topper and that really doesn't help much. I'm actually trying other cruise lines now because the beds are too hard for me. I love Princess, but you should be able to sleep on your cruise.

I have been on six different Princess cruises on different ships and decks. In my opinion all the Princess beds are hard as rock no matter what deck or what ship.

Yep, i so agree with you. We have yet to find a comfortable bed on Princess since they 'upgraded' the mattresses. Even in full suites, we find them hard as a rock. But then, we are not used to an extra firm mattress, so I will blame it on our preference. ;)

Yep, i so agree with you. We have yet to find a comfortable bed on Princess since they 'upgraded' the mattresses. Even in full suites, we find them hard as a rock. But then, we are not used to an extra firm mattress, so I will blame it on our preference. ;)

We must agree because we are both from Kansas! :D

We must agree because we are both from Kansas! :D

Yep, it has to have something to do with the softer beds we buy here in the midwest. :) :p

(BTW-I am very jealous, you live much closer to MCI than we do) ;)

We were given a handicap room on Emerald in March and was surprised to find them comfortable. Was on the Grand in Dec. and even with egg crate, they were too hard.

I have to laugh....a little, at the mattress threads that run here nearly continuously. I guess I am the exception, being on a cruise is good enough for me even if the bed is broken glass:D, I was recently on the Golden and found the beds to be just great (for me) I requested an egg crate and would have been fine without it.

If I really really had to complain about the bed, it would be the pillow that has very little volume and I needed three of them to support my head and neck.

I agree with your comments about both the beds and the pillows. We were on the Golden last August and no complaints about the beds, but the pillows...like you, we asked for extra pillows.:D

We just got off the Golden last Sunday....B221 (inside) and the matresses were the absolute worst ones we have ever experienced on Princess. We both woke up with various aches and pains (especially back aches) and that was even with the egg crate toppers.

Andi

It seems that there are issues with the mattresses on Princess when they are old (sagging and lumpy) and when they are new (too firm for many)!

I myself was on the Ruby last year, so had new beds and I found them like concrete. We were not able to get an egg crate as they had all been assigned, even though we asked "Stewart" as soon as we met him.

I am usually a positive person and don't like to make big issues out of problems, but sleep is very important (particularly on a port intensive Med cruise) and if you are not comfortable, you are not going to get enough quality sleep.

I can't understand why Princess has this issue as other companies with Carnival Corp. don't seem to :eek:

This is one reason why we chose to sail HAL this summer :D

It seems that there are issues with the mattresses on Princess when they are old (sagging and lumpy) and when they are new (too firm for many)!

I myself was on the Ruby last year, so had new beds and I found them like concrete. We were not able to get an egg crate as they had all been assigned, even though we asked "Stewart" as soon as we met him.

I am usually a positive person and don't like to make big issues out of problems, but sleep is very important (particularly on a port intensive Med cruise) and if you are not comfortable, you are not going to get enough quality sleep.

I can't understand why Princess has this issue as other companies with Carnival Corp. don't seem to :eek:

This is one reason why we chose to sail HAL this summer :D

I can see why some people think this is a silly thing to complain about, but for those that really can't sleep on their mattresses, well, it's a whole other story.

I must say I agree with most of the posts. Having just been on the Grand in March on a 14 night cruise, the beds were awful. I did think that the beds in the full suites were better, but now I'm not sure. I can tell you that they are no different in the mini suites.

Anyway, my husband had such a difficult time with the mattress, that I found him two mornings in a row sleeping on the couch!

The only way he found that he was able to sleep on the bed (well, sort of), was to take the 3 sofa cushions and put them on the bed. He slept that way for the rest of the cruise. Thank GOODNESS we had a full sofa! And we had two egg crates...they didn't make any difference.

I hate to say it, but I would say we are probably in the category of "we'll probably chose another cruise line as a result of this issue." It doesn't bother you until it does....then it becomes a huge issue.

The only other way we could cruise Princess with their mattresses was if we were able to buy a foam memory topper (probably around $200 - $250)...but then we'd have to buy it where we get on the ship so we'd have to find a local Costco or Sam's...if the price of the cruise was low enough and the itinerary was something we really wanted, we would actually consider doing this.

I too believe this is a Princess issue. Out of 10 cruises, we don't remember the beds ever being as awful as they were on the Grand (we were on the Diamond and Dawn and we had a full suite on the Dawn with a fabulous bed)....

Dawn

We were on the Golden in February, and we thought the beds were the best we had slept on, after 9 cruises. Comfort is subjective. Why do you think a mattress store has so many different models? Some people want a downy feather bed. I can't imagine being comfortable in one of those! People who like a firm mattress should be happy on the Golden.

I think what the main problem here is that since Princess has changed to the thin foam mattress pads, those that don't enjoy an extra firm mattress have no recourse. In the past, they used the extra thick foam egg crate mattress pads which did make a huge difference for passengers that didn't enjoy the beds. But now, the new type do so little to improve the beds for those that don't like sleeping on the extra firmness, there is just no where to turn.

Maybe if Princess decided to go into the memory foam bed toppers, (yes a bit of an investment for the cruise line), but it would keep all these complaints down to a bare minimum. Hopefully, if the receive enough complaints they will come up with another plan.

Not sleeping well on a cruise does not make for the best vacation. Or maybe they just think we will purchase doubles in the bars so we can pass out instead of just gently falling asleep to the rocking of the ship. ;)

(again, definitely taking our memory foam bed topper on our next sailing)

Have a pillow-top mattress at home. Princess mattresses are too firm for my back. On Plaza deck on Golden we had saggy twin beds. Got a thick egg crate topper that helped with softness; however, the sag gave me aching hips each morning. HAL has wonderful beds, Celebrity's are comfortable, Carnival and RCCL are very acceptable. What is wrong with Princess that they continue using such uncomfortable bedding? Steward did get me a hypoallergenic pillow that was nice and comfortable.

Archived