Pre-Cruise Itenerary thoughts

javajaws

I've spent the last 2 days reading/learning as much as I can trying to put this thing together. Let me know if you see any big problems (most times are approximate).

June 14 - Monday:

9:40 : Arrive in Fairbanks

10:30 - 10:45 : Rent car

Overnight in Fairbanks (location TBD)

June 15 - Tuesday:

8:00am - 10:00am : Drive to Denali

11:00am - 6:00pm : Denali Shuttle Bus to Eielson or Wonder Lake

Overnight in Denali (location TBD/Princess Denali?)

Jun 16 - Wednesday:

9:00am - 1:30pm : ATV Ride

2:00pm - 5:00pm : Drive to Talkeetna

6:30pm - 8:30pm : Flightseeing - McKinley Summit

Overnight in Talkeetna (location TBD/Roadhouse?)

Jun 17 - Thursday:

[Plan A]

8:00am - 11:00am : Drive from Talkeetna to Anchorage

11:00am - 8:00pm : Sight see Anchorage, Girdwood, etc.

[Plan B]

8:00am - 5:00pm : Flightseeing reschedule / rafting / flex time

5:00pm - 8:00pm : Drive from Talkeetna to Anchorage

Overnight in Anchorage (Location TBD)

June 18 - Friday:

TBD

6:00pm - 8:00pm : Drive to Coopers Landing

Overnight in Coopers Landing

June 19 - Saturday:

7:00am - 4:00pm : Full Day Guided Fishing

June 20 - Sunday:

7:00am - 11:00am : Half day Guided Fishing

12:00pm : 1:00pm : Drive to Seward

1:00pm - 3:00pm : Sea Life Center

4:00pm - 5:00pm : Ididaride

5:00pm - 6:00pm : Exit Glacier

Overnight in Seward

Jun 21 - Monday:

8:00am - 10:00am : Drive to Whittier

11:00am - 5:00pm : PWS Tour

5:00pm - 5:30pm : Turn in Car

5:30pm - 7:00pm : Check in

8:30pm : Depart

Total driving time is kept to around 12-14 hrs hopefully. But considering my last 3 vacations included driving from Texas - Florida, Texas-Tennessee, and Texas-Montana...I think we'll be doing good. :)

I'm open to suggestions for lodging, and activities around Anchorage/Kenai for the 18th (and any other thoughts as well). I was hesisitant to plan a Kenai Fjords tour since we'll be doing the PWS tour as well...but I might just do that then since we'll be "in the neighborhood".

Thx.

If you have not already factored this in:

If you are doing a one-way drop off in Whittier, you must rent from Avis and there is a huge drop off fee. Also, the daily rates are very expensive and the cars go fast. The sooner you reserve the car, the better choices you have and better rates.

Additionally, since you have a car, you might consider staying in Healy, about 10 miles north of the Denali Visitor Center. We stayed at Hotel Nord Haven http://www.motelnordhaven.com/rooms.htm and had a nice room at a lower rate than can be found in the Denali area. Also, there is a great local restaurant next door, Rosie's, which had good food at good prices. They also provide a paced lunch for the Denali shuttles.

I've spent the last 2 days reading/learning as much as I can trying to put this thing together. Let me know if you see any big problems (most times are approximate).

June 14 - Monday:

9:40 : Arrive in Fairbanks

10:30 - 10:45 : Rent car

Overnight in Fairbanks (location TBD)

June 15 - Tuesday:

8:00am - 10:00am : Drive to Denali

11:00am - 6:00pm : Denali Shuttle Bus to Eielson or Wonder Lake

Overnight in Denali (location TBD/Princess Denali?)

I liked the princess Lodge. food was so/so but enjoyed the area and the hot tubs. places to eat across the road. what happen to white water rafting here. it was great. Also went to Jeff Kings home.. i enjoyed meeting him and seeing his dogs.

Jun 16 - Wednesday:

9:00am - 1:30pm : ATV Ride

2:00pm - 5:00pm : Drive to Talkeetna

6:30pm - 8:30pm : Flightseeing - McKinley Summit

Overnight in Talkeetna (location TBD/Roadhouse?)

ride should be less than 3 hours.. more like 2..

Jun 17 - Thursday:

[Plan A]

8:00am - 11:00am : Drive from Talkeetna to Anchorage

11:00am - 8:00pm : Sight see Anchorage, Girdwood, etc.

[Plan B]

8:00am - 5:00pm : Flightseeing reschedule / rafting / flex time

5:00pm - 8:00pm : Drive from Talkeetna to Anchorage

Overnight in Anchorage (Location TBD)

Girdwood is about 50 miles away. .but you will be stopping for pictures. there is a museum in Anchorage. i did not have time to see it or anything. l

June 18 - Friday:

TBD

6:00pm - 8:00pm : Drive to Coopers Landing

you do not need a full day in Anchorage.. you should leave earlier so you can check in and relax before dinner.

June 19 - Saturday:

7:00am - 4:00pm : Full Day Guided Fishing

June 20 - Sunday:

7:00am - 11:00am : Half day Guided Fishing

12:00pm : 1:00pm : Drive to Seward

1:00pm - 3:00pm : Sea Life Center

4:00pm - 5:00pm : Ididaride

5:00pm - 6:00pm : Exit Glacier

Overnight in Seward

I think you might need more time fro Exit Glacier and for anything to do with the Idicorod. sorry about the spelling.

i am staying near Exit Glacier at the Windsong.. In town I liked the BW Edgewater but wanted to be out of town. I would want more time in Seward but i do not fish.:D Also i am doing a 6 hour boat ride there as i cruise from there.

Jun 21 - Monday:

8:00am - 10:00am : Drive to Whittier

11:00am - 5:00pm : PWS Tour

5:00pm - 5:30pm : Turn in Car

5:30pm - 7:00pm : Check in

8:30pm : Depart

Total driving time is kept to around 12-14 hrs hopefully. But considering my last 3 vacations included driving from Texas - Florida, Texas-Tennessee, and Texas-Montana...I think we'll be doing good. :)

my main concern is traffic on the road to Whittier and getting thru the tunnel to check in for the PWS cruise. i was told to check in an hour early. also the train comes from Denali around 6.. will make check in fun.

I'm open to suggestions for lodging, and activities around Anchorage/Kenai for the 18th (and any other thoughts as well). I was hesisitant to plan a Kenai Fjords tour since we'll be doing the PWS tour as well...but I might just do that then since we'll be "in the neighborhood".

Thx.

you did not really give yourself enough time for a boat ride in Seward.. there is on from 3 to 9 at night. if you did not fish the second day you have time to really enjoy Seward. also the Seward highway is a one big picture stop.

Sounds like a fun week.

As you mention times as “approximate”, when you start firming up your schedule may want to provide a little more buffer for your time driving to Denali if you’re looking at catching an 11am shuttle. Although you can usually drive from Fairbanks to Denali in 2 hours you should consider traffic and possible construction delays. The other consideration is that you will want to stop and pick up some food for your trip into the park.

Check the shuttle bus schedule. The last shuttle bus to Wonder Lake for the day departs at 10:15am. It’s a 9 hour roundtrip to Eielson and 12 hours to Wonder Lake. 6 hours will just get you to Toklat. It’s worth it to get to the Eielson Visitor Center.

This is too tight of an itinerary, Denali Park is not a good plan. I would skip your day in Talkeetna and ATV and add that to the National Park, OR skip Denali Park, and use the time for flightseeing, Atv, Denali State Park.

You have underestimated the Denali Park shuttle buses, Wonder Lake is at least 11 hours, Eielson 8 hours.

Your Seward day is too tight, it sounds like a work schedule. :) It's just about a given, something is going to take you more time than you think.

IF your flights are not purchased, or you can change them, do so. Adding a couple more days would make a significant difference.

This is too tight of an itinerary, Denali Park is not a good plan. I would skip your day in Talkeetna and ATV and add that to the National Park, OR skip Denali Park, and use the time for flightseeing, Atv, Denali State Park.

You have underestimated the Denali Park shuttle buses, Wonder Lake is at least 11 hours, Eielson 8 hours.

Your Seward day is too tight, it sounds like a work schedule. :) It's just about a given, something is going to take you more time than you think.

IF your flights are not purchased, or you can change them, do so. Adding a couple more days would make a significant difference.

Well, I thank you for your insight. I have already made minor changes since I posted my initial itenerary - though the first 3 days remain mostly unchanged except for some of the times (I did say they were "approximate"). The thing about our day in Denali is that we don't have a time limit to be a particular place after the visit - it'll be the only thing we do that day. Our current plan is the Eielson stop starting at 11:00. We'll probably leave a little earlier to make it, but that won't be a big deal because we'll barely be unpacked and ready to roll on our first day. And if we finish at 8 or 9 (or later) that night no biggie - we don't have to drive anywhere afterwards.

I couldn't find acceptable (affordable) lodging in Cooper Landing, so we'll be staying in Soldotna instead and driving there from Talkeetna in the morning. I haven't planned anything that day so it'll just be a free sight seeing day along the way (we no longer plan on staying overnight in Anchorage...extra night in Talkeetna). It might work out better staying in Soldotna anyway since I'll probably be fishing the lower Kenai that next day.

I'll try to post an updated Itenerary tonight when I'm not at work.

Perhaps we're a little more "active" than the typical cruiser on this board, but it's "what we do". :)

I couldn't find acceptable (affordable) lodging in Cooper Landing, so we'll be staying in Soldotna

QUOTE]

I'm very surprised, there are several small lodging options, that I have passed. Did you happen to look into all the listings? http://cooperlandingchamber.com/lodging.shtml

So far, what Budget Queen is saying in pretty much dead on. Fishing on the river is also problematic. You will be sitting in a boat trolling in one spot much of the time. (I would not have believed it if I had not seen it. Trolling against the current and staying pretty much in one area of the river for 4 hours. Caught nada..... Try the ocean if you want to REALLY catch something.

I would spend a LOT more time in Seward. That trip out to Kenai is WELL worth the trip for the wildlife. Also, if you want to actually go fishing, that is a good spot. You WILL catch fish.

I am not really a fan of Talkeetna. Some of the things you have planed out of there are not bad. But the ride to and from the Princess lodge is a long one.

Just to clarify…Kenai is a town on the Kenai Peninsula. Seward is also a town on the Kenai Peninsula where cruise ships dock and also where the Kenai Fjords Tours depart from. When most posters indicate Kenai they actually mean Seward or are referring to the Kenai Peninsula, but not always.

If you are traveling from Anchorage to Seward you will be traveling on the Kenai Peninsula but you won’t be going through the town of Kenai.

Someone posted that they were fishing the Lower Kenai. This refers to the Kenai River, between the towns of Sterling, Soldotna and Kenai.

Archived