Your Favorite Rum to bring back

Crafty Fitzwilly

Don't bring it back much anymore since the airline won't allow it to be carried on.....and my little 22" suitcase won't hold much more than what is needed.

But, if the occasion arises, I'll by Appleton Overproof and/or Rumona...both available in Jamaica......

Any types of alcohol out there that are really hard to find in the States? I'm looking for unique liquors to bring back from my vacation.

We always look to bring back Sangsgter's Jamaican Cream Rum....yum

You can't get it in NJ, nor in every island. We found it in St. Thomas a couple weeks ago and have also found it in St. Maarten and of course Jamaica. :D

My DH loves Cruzan and since it is a product of USVI, your legal alcohol allowance goes up:D, but as has been mentioned the liquids rules on airlines have really made bringing it home a pain.:(

My DH loves Cruzan and since it is a product of USVI, your legal alcohol allowance goes up:D, but as has been mentioned the liquids rules on airlines have really made bringing it home a pain.:(

Speaking of the new airline rules regarding liquids, can anybody tell me a good, safe way to transport bottles back home?

Anything that will get me tipsy!!! LOL!!!:o:o

What's your favorite rum to bring back home from the Caribbean islands?

Any comments on Pusser's Rum?

Feel free to elaborate on why the rum you bring back is your favorite.

I love Pusser's rum ... it is my absolute favorite "sipping" rum (ie, when you drink for distinctive flavor and not to mix it with Coke). I know there can be significant savings on it ... I bought my first bottle in St. Maarten for about $12 and found out I can purchase it about a mile down the road from me for about $32.

Cruzan, specifically vanilla. I can actually buy it at home (NYC) but it is much cheaper in the Caribbean. I also really like the Bacardi vanilla (which I can't find at home, at least not yet!)

Ron Matusalem origionaly produced in Cuba in now being made in the Dominican Republic. It is available in Cozumel and Progreso. I am pretty sure that it will be available to islands to the east. It is a 14 year old solara styll sipping rum that goes down like a fine brandy. In my opinion it is as good if not better than the origional produced in Cuba and is perfectly legal to bring back to the USA. Havana Club another fine Cuban rum is also available in it several forms and ageings.

• 3 weeks later...

On St Thomas I always pick up a few bottles of the local chocolate rum liqueurs.

Chocolate, Chocolate Raspberry, and Chocolate Mint have been our favorites so far.

Fortunately, I've been able to stock up on our cruises out of NYC, when I don't have to fly. And since they're produced in the USVI, the duty-free allowance is higher.

On St Thomas I always pick up a few bottles of the local chocolate rum liqueurs.

Chocolate, Chocolate Raspberry, and Chocolate Mint have been our favorites so far.

Fortunately, I've been able to stock up on our cruises out of NYC, when I don't have to fly. And since they're produced in the USVI, the duty-free allowance is higher.

Where do you buy these? I would be most interested in bringing back the Chocolate Mint!

Overproof from Jamaica..alll the way....not easy to get in the USA..and Sangster's Rum Cream..oh my..can't get that one either.

If you can, get some rum for Haiti..THAT is among some of the best I've ever had...I have a rum collection from 11 countries and rank that #1..LOL

I hope you don't mind my asking a question on this thread. When you guys purchase alcohol to bring home, what do they do with it on the ship? I know you can't bring it back to your room. Do you just pick it up at the end of the cruise and is there a charge when you pick it up? Thanks so much......

I hope you don't mind my asking a question on this thread. When you guys purchase alcohol to bring home, what do they do with it on the ship? I know you can't bring it back to your room. Do you just pick it up at the end of the cruise and is there a charge when you pick it up? Thanks so much......

There have been several times where we were able to bring alcohol back to our room, mostly because the security never said anything to us. We did not drink it in our room, but brought it home, unopened. There are other times when the alcohol is taken and marked with our cabin number. On the last night/day of the cruise we pick it up when we leave the ship or after dinner if it is the night before. They have been good about checking cabin number to ensure that you get your own purchases.

Archived