Suggestions for 25th anniversary cruise???

doitallWMB

My DW and I have been on 8 cruises, and most recently the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan this January. We disliked the port intesive stuff somewhat. We are looking for a nice back to back for 14 days or one cruise for between 10 and 14 days. It will be our 25th anniversary in the spring, summer or fall of next year and we want to celebrate in style. Any suggestions of itenerary? We are or will be 46 and 43 with grown children. We like class and actvity without the Carnival style. Nothing against CCL, just not our cup of tea. Never been on HAL or Celebrity. Cruise history includes RCCL 3 times (like a lot), Prncess 2 times (nice but I tend to get bired by the 6th or 7th day, NCL once (Fav so far) and CCL 2 times. Suggestions are welcome and exprerience is awesome. One thing about the NCL trip on the Jewel was that we decided where and with whom we ate. NO PRESSUURE, NO SCHEDULES, NO WORRIES. Thanks!

We did a Hawaiian cruise on NCLA for our 25th anniversary. Loved it.

It was port intensive, but you get to stay overnight in a couple of ports, so you could always spend some of the time on the ship rather than run around sightseeing.

LOL, a back to back in Hawaii would be awesome, so would doing one cruise there and spending the rest of the time before or after cruise exploring Oahu.

Congratulations on your 25th and happy sailing!

Take a transatlantic cruise! LOTS of sea days and several ports. Some of cruises coming back to the US from Europe have just a couple ports. Many of the transatlantics also are far less expensive then other cruises. It does depend on your flight costs, ofcourse. If you have airline points you may be surprised some of the good deals you can find. Also some of the discount online TA's offer packages that include the airfare too. We will be taking our second transatlantic cruise this April and are looking forward to it -especially those relaxing sea days! GREAT way to celebrate an anniversary!

WOW what quick responses! Anyone that loves her DH enough in these times to stay around for 25 years deserves the best! Fellow NCL passengers are why we love the line.

Every suggestion is welcome! We looked at a 9 day plus 5 day Back to Back on the Dawn in the Caribbean, but would really love to do Europe. We did the Jewel 9 day southern in 2008 and LOVED it.

For our 25th my ex and I (note EX) did a week-long Club Med cruise in French Polynesia, leaving from/returning to Papeete, Tahiti. The ports were beyond belief--Moorea, Raiatea, Huahini, Bora Bora. The boat was full of honeymooners and couples in love having a romantic cruise...and then there was us :<--we separated about 18 months later! But for couples in love it is a wonderful cruise!

I don't think Club Med cruises there any more and actually I would never cruise with them again because I found their GO (guest officer--I guess our official hostess) nasty, snobby, disrespectful, and more interested in openly flirting with one of the husbands than in doing her job and when anything was said she would get openly nasty (not even about flirting, just even asking a question). She was clearly trying to find her sugar daddy!

I know this sounds like a downer for a 25th anniv cruise but what I am trying to say is that if you can find a French Polynesia cruise I highly, highly recommend it for the ports & scenery, especially if you are still in love!

we took a trans atlantic after our 30th anv and loved it it was on rccl navigator of sea and we watched for good price booked it and still got price drop twice before sailing 599 for balcony and shop for airfare which oddly enough was cheaper for round trip back from spain at 500 each and just did not need return ticket. we booked at around 799 before price drop. And like you said not to many stops 1st seven days was at sea. Try this you will enjoy.:):)

The divorce--absolutely! My ex and I had problems for a long time, being around all the honeymooners just showed me how bad things really were. The cruise had nothing to do with it except that we were somewhere romantic and we might as well have just been roommates.

As for the Club Med thing--like any cruiseline you get good and bad staff, some more so than others.

Once again I highly recommend that itinerary--I doubt you will have either of my problems and it is incredibly romantic! The view from the cannons on Bora Bora is probably one of the most spectacular and beautiful in the world, and the water around the motus is amazing!

I know you came to the NCL boards for advice, but I would also suggest Hawaii. With NCL, it IS port intensified, but if you did another cruise line, out of SF or anywhere on the West Coast, you would have many seas days to go along with those port days. Nothing against NCL, but it might be what you are looking for. Hawaii on your 25th anniversary would be heaven.

Cheers

Len

Take a transatlantic cruise! LOTS of sea days and several ports. Some of cruises coming back to the US from Europe have just a couple ports. Many of the transatlantics also are far less expensive then other cruises. It does depend on your flight costs, ofcourse. If you have airline points you may be surprised some of the good deals you can find. Also some of the discount online TA's offer packages that include the airfare too. We will be taking our second transatlantic cruise this April and are looking forward to it -especially those relaxing sea days! GREAT way to celebrate an anniversary!

This is excellent if sea days are important....OP did mention that a previous cruise had been too port intensive. We thoroughly enjoyed our TA spring last year. The cruiseline wasn't the best (Costa) but cruise itself, and weather were superb.

You can combine TA with cruise in Europe. e.g. The new NCL Epic has a TA (11 nights) May 2011 to Barcelona, and then embarks on 7 day cruises in the western Med. If you are able to take a 3 week vacation, that would be my suggestion for a first (?) visit to Europe.

My DW and I have been on 8 cruises, and most recently the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan this January. We disliked the port intesive stuff somewhat. We are looking for a nice back to back for 14 days or one cruise for between 10 and 14 days. It will be our 25th anniversary in the spring, summer or fall of next year and we want to celebrate in style. Any suggestions of itenerary? We are or will be 46 and 43 with grown children. We like class and actvity without the Carnival style. __________________

First of all, I would say anywhere but NCL. My recent experience on the Spirit has soured me on the line for now.

Celebrity has some fabulous itineraries for this spring in Northern Europe that I would love to try. Unfortunately that will have to wait until I retire since they run during my busiest season at work!

No question about it...The Galapagos on Celebrity Xpedition w/ an extension to Manchu Piccu. Nothing like swimming w/ sea life and exploring uninhabited islands looking at birds, turtles, sea lions to make you feel really romantic (of course I'm a zoologist, so that is my cup of tea). It is so expensive that doing it as a Anniversary celebration is a good way to justify spending the money :o

My DH are waiting to go on that one!

Some of our best cruises have been the longer ones.

Week in med followed by Trans Atlantic was great.

Miami to Panama canal to Calif to Seattle was outstanding. Lots of sea days. Met lots of nice people via the roll call and shared some meals with them.

To find these longer cruises, look for those over 9 days without putting in a port or destination.

Hawaii is great, but many talk about it being a busy week. Just sayin.

Maybe a port intensive cruise would be the best thing to do! Then when everyone is out exploring the ports, you have the ship to yourself. Plus you would have the option of getting out and exploring by foot as much as you would like. I think the 11 night Med. cruise would be my choice for those reasons exactly. (Greek islands...very romantic!)

Getting a room with access to the private courtyard if you could afford it would be very romantic, private & relaxed as well.

I would suggest NCL Epic in Europe next year. Obviously I can not speak from experience seeing the ship has not set sail yet....but I would go for a few days before and explore Barcelona, then board the ship and enjoy the Epic experience. Just the entertainment alone on the Epic, has us hooked...with The Blue Man Group, Cirque Dream etc. We are celebrating our 28th anniversary on her next year and plan on having our anniversary dinner at the Cirque Dream. What more can you ask for, dinner and a show! The other great thing that convinced us is that she has 2 sea days. I don't think we will be disappointed! Can't wait!

Good luck with your decision! There are a lot of great places to pick from. I'm sure that whatever you pick you'll be happy as long as you are together! Happy 25th!!!

Thank all of you for the suggestions.. We are so confused...We thought of the Caribbean to save dollars on airfare, and on the Canal, the Mexican Riviera and finally Hawaii'. Air to any of these is less than Europe, which is our dream.

Our 25th Anniversary (June 07') we sailed on NCL Pearl to Alaska and had a fantastic time. We arrived in Seattle 3 days prior to sailing to take in some sight seeing. Loved Seattle and the Alaskan scenery!

I'm sure whatever itinerary you decide on, you'll fondly remember how you spent your 25th Wedding Anniversary!

Karen

I second the motion for a week on NCL Pride of America with either a back to back or a few days on land before and after the cruise. OR a week on land either before or after also. So many ways to go. But Hawaii???? How much more romantic can it get?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the slow reply. I should say that our 25th is in September of 2011. We are considering a back to back on the Freedom of the Seas, the Allure of the seas. We would love to consider the European routes or Hawaii. Is it redundant to do the same ports twice on NCLA? The POA seems like the perfect place to celebrate. We really like the NCL Jade for a back to back with different ports in the Med. Help? The budget for the cruise is 7K for 14 days.

I'd vote for the Panama Canal cruise we just took, Miami to LA. We had 6 port days, one canal day and 7 days at sea. I found it so relaxing, but the port days break it up so you don't get cabin fever. The pace on a 14 day cruise just seems so much more relaxed because they plan shows only once for the two weeks. I would think B2B cruises would have the same shows repeating. Just trying to give food for thought.

IMO, RCCL's Oasis of the Seas is the greatest ship in the world right now with 17 restaurants, all kinds of stores, different neighborhoods, all kinds of suites and so many shows and things to do, there is no way you could do it all in a week. In fact Oasis is a destination in and of itself. Many people don't even bother to get off at the ports! I suggest a back to back on Oasis - get an ocean facing stateroom - preferably one of the suites -Oasis cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale, round trip. For your anniversary, book either 150 Central Park specialty restaurant or the Chef's table (you have to call RCCL for that.)

I love Norwegian, but the Oasis is just unbelievable and you eat anytime you want, with whoever you want to eat with. (reservations have to be made for the specialty restaurants - via online booking ahead of the cruise.)

The next question is what will NCL's Epic be like? Can they top Oasis?

My parents are celebrating their 50th (two years early) with a b2b Mediterranian/repossitioning cruise on RCCL. It starts in Rome and ends up in Ft. Lauderdale. It's three weeks, but only two of them are the repossitioning part. They're retired and they've lived all over the world, so they are really looking forward to it!

My sister and I did a Silversea Mediterranian cruise and it was AMAZING! Spend the extra $$$ and do Europe. If you have extra $$$ do Silversea, it'll spoil you, for sure!

Our ports were Rome, Naples (Pompeii), Sardinia, St. Tropez, Palma Mallorca, Barcelona. In Sardinia and St. Tropez, we just got off the ship and wandered around, it was charming. Palma Mallorca is beautiful and the tour we opted for took us up into the mountains to see a lovely little town, then back into the main port where everyone shopped for pearls. Barcelona, well, I can't say enough. Just see all the Gaudi stuff you can!

What I liked about it is that you could opt to do sightseeing up the wazoo, or just get off and stretch your legs, and you still felt like you were being cultured. Try the pommes frites in St. Tropez. They have a little stand and they offer the frites with about 40 different toppings.

The nice part is that once you're done with your exploring, on the repositioning part of the cruise you get to just sit and relax. Also, do Europe to US, since you don't want to kill all of that lovely relaxation with a transatlantic flight.

That's my .2 cents.

Congratulations and have a WONDERFUL time!

Archived