Closed Captioned movies? TV movies?

lyndenfa

I recently posted a suggestion that Marina managers consider including closed captions to the movies that will be shown for "movies under the stars". I thought it worth asking as a separate thread. CC's are of benefit to hearing people as well and can cut down on the volume which might benefit everyone. My husband has fine hearing but finds the CC to be helpful for some programs and movies. Perhaps the movies offered on the TV can also be CC? Only portions of CNN and very few other tv programs had CC on our recent Regatta cruise and i did write a suggestion on our evaluation. Hopefully there is enough interest to encourage this even more.

All movies that are on CD,s are for the most part CC. Its just a matter of programing it on your tv in your stateroom.As far as CC for movies that they show on the big screen outside or in the showlounge that also can be CC. Im deaf and have a Choclear Implant so I can hear the movie,s fine.

I have found for the most part people who do not use CC on there home tv' s often object to the words hiding some of the action.

Thats why know one wants to watch sports at my house LOL.

We brought along a few DVD's and they playwith CC's just fine. My husband may be the champion of programing tv's for closed captions; he has taught a few hotel personnel how!! You are very fortunate to have your hearing back and all that implies. It has been years since i went to a movie theater; I wait until movies are available on DVD because they do have CC's. As you must know, it is not only volume but tone that is lost. There were several people on our last cruise that were wearing hearing aids and I talked with some; we all agreed we miss out on communication too much of the time. Sorry you have objections (or rather people you know) to blocking out a small bit of action at the expense of pleasure the person has to "hear"/read. I have found my friends learn to ignore or use the cc's, but then they all know I need that. BTW, it was not easy to learn to read everything and still pay attention to the screen and story and actors, etc. Thanks for your comment. I do understand objections.

On a final note I have been able to appreciate opera having closed captions because most of the audience does not speak/understand the language and it did seem strange at first (the captions have been on the top of the stage).

Most hearing aids and implants have a T cell. This comes in handy if you switch it on and put earphones that are in most movie houses and also on airplanes if you hold it to your mic.

On broadway they have aloop that goes around your neck and thats the best.

I would love to have CC on outdoor movies. Without it I will be missing the dialogue. Makes for interesting story lines at times.

I'm with you. In a movie with alot of diffrent accents and alot of backround music ,even british accents, are hard to hear or understand, so CC brings more understanding the dialoge much easier.

Hi Acrusa. As i mentioned, I have not been to the theater in many years. Opera and ballet/dance are pretty much my options. I have found the devices for hearing impaired are mostly for the volume and directed into the ears as opposed to louder for the general audience. I tried the loop type on the Disney cruise for their theater performances. You must know how frustrating it is to understand 8 out of 10 words, with the 2 missing words confusing the whole message.

Thank you for your last post about missing story lines. BTW, before i gave up going to movie theaters, I used to just make up my own story lines.....and yes, it does indeed make for interesting interpretations, expecially to discuss with hearing companions.

There are a few more comments about CC on other topics. I am glad this is not a fading issue.

That's interesting that Disney has there theatre wired for the hard of hear using the loop.They must be the only ones.If your T cell is working properly you should not be missing those words.

While not hearing impaired myself, close captioned muts seems to be a no-brainer if easily accomplished. Given O's demographic, I imagine a good percentage of passengers would appreciate this gesture, and I can't imagine anyone complaining about it.

That's interesting that Disney has there theatre wired for the hard of hear using the loop.They must be the only ones.If your T cell is working properly you should not be missing those words.

I mostly lip read. I don't know what the T cell is. The device Disney had was headphones that shut out background noise and increased the volume; probably not what you refer to. Perhaps you would email me? lyndenfaatmsndotcom

I want to keep this thread alive but not to focus on me. I appreciate your advice. Thanks

While not hearing impaired myself, close captioned muts seems to be a no-brainer if easily accomplished. Given O's demographic, I imagine a good percentage of passengers would appreciate this gesture, and I can't imagine anyone complaining about it.

Should be very easy as all new DVDs have a CC option and the technician should be able to activate it when playing the movie (on whatever device they use).

Paulchili, unfortunately that was not the case on our last Regatta Panama crossing; we had at least three different people come to our stateroom to try to activate CC on the TV and it just didn't work on 95% of the channels, movies or not! We finally gave up and when we recieved the phone check just said we were able to get CC on a few channels once in a while. If I remember correctly, one of the channels was a sports station showing soccer with CC's but no movies. This was also when the Hiati crisis was at peak and once in a while CNN was broadcast in CC. I gave up trying to figure out why. Now the DVD player was a different story, that was OK. Maybe the new TV's on Marina will be different.

Thanks for some imput.

I was actually referring to the CC on MUTS (which I assume they would show from DVDs?)

I believe that there will be several source options for the video feed, as the wall sized LCD screen is part of a very complex audio/video setup. They are saying, for example, that despite its' size, the resolution of that screen will be good enough so that it may be used during daylight hours.

They plan to use it for all different types of programming.

Incidentally, it seems that we're being slightly naughty here, as the phrase "Movies Under the Stars" has been associated with Princess:

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na804&submit=pk,

Although the feature was listed as MUTS in the preliminary Marina literature, Oceania will likely be using a different nomenclature on-board the ship.

I believe that there will be several source options for the video feed, as the wall sized LCD screen is part of a very complex audio/video setup. They are saying, for example, that despite its' size, the resolution of that screen will be good enough so that it may be used during daylight hours.

They plan to use it for all different types of programming.

Incidentally, it seems that we're being slightly naughty here, as the phrase "Movies Under the Stars" has been associated with Princess:

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na804&submit=pk,

Although the feature was listed as MUTS in the preliminary Marina literature, Oceania will likely be using a different nomenclature on-board the ship.

Thanks. That is positive and hopeful news about the outdoor screen.

I read about the features of the screens on the princess cruises and was impressed with all the details (not that I understood it all). Quite a variety of programming.

Do you think O's will be similar? Disney played various things in the day time but the sun shine and noise decreased the quality. (ofcourse there is a lot more noise on a disney cruise around the pool deck in the daytime with hundreds of kids playing!)

So, what shall we call this in the meantime? the outdoor entertainment screen (TOES)

• 2 weeks later...
For the Transatlantic in January I hope it is not 'Cinema On the Lido Deck'

I might be willing to give up the closed captions if the weather was good enough to watch the outside entertainment shows! Seriously, I do hope we get a few days warm, sunny weather.BTW; 'Cinema On the Lido Deck' = COLD? got it.

Paulchili, unfortunately that was not the case on our last Regatta Panama crossing; we had at least three different people come to our stateroom to try to activate CC on the TV and it just didn't work on 95% of the channels, movies or not! We finally gave up and when we recieved the phone check just said we were able to get CC on a few channels once in a while. If I remember correctly, one of the channels was a sports station showing soccer with CC's but no movies. This was also when the Hiati crisis was at peak and once in a while CNN was broadcast in CC. I gave up trying to figure out why. Now the DVD player was a different story, that was OK. Maybe the new TV's on Marina will be different.

Thanks for some imput.

Inconsistent closed captions are due to the complex and numerous relay points to get the signal to the ship. In the case of CNN it uplinked in Atlanta, downlinked in another location and turned around (uplinked) for retransmission to the service providing cruise ship programming. In Europe or Asia it's at least one more pair of up and down to get the signal to those longitudes. Then if your ship is far south of the equator, it's another up and down for those latitudes. Closed captions in analog is carried on line 23 and can be easily disrupted. In pure digital transmissions the captions are part of the signal in full and by nature do not lose data on each retransmission and are much more stable. I know you didn't need this much explanation, but as a broadcast manager I have to make excuses for just our local cable providers, and their satellite receivers are not moving in three planes. Isn't great with all that is going on that ships (and now aircraft) can receive live broadcasting?

Inconsistent closed captions are due to the complex and numerous relay points to get the signal to the ship. In the case of CNN it uplinked in Atlanta, downlinked in another location and turned around (uplinked) for retransmission to the service providing cruise ship programming. In Europe or Asia it's at least one more pair of up and down to get the signal to those longitudes. Then if your ship is far south of the equator, it's another up and down for those latitudes. Closed captions in analog is carried on line 23 and can be easily disrupted. In pure digital transmissions the captions are part of the signal in full and by nature do not lose data on each retransmission and are much more stable. I know you didn't need this much explanation, but as a broadcast manager I have to make excuses for just our local cable providers, and their satellite receivers are not moving in three planes. Isn't great with all that is going on that ships (and now aircraft) can receive live broadcasting?

Thank you Ohio Bob. I did need that much explanation, maybe more! I do understand more. Do you know if there are many services that provide the programming to cruise ships?

We were on the Panama Canal crossing, so the equator makes sense. The interesting thing, CNN only the reception for the Haiti situation was received, no general programming or world/national news. I am so out of my league here, I think I will give up before I ask dumb questions (like what three planes, length-width-depth? is that the same as dimensions? oh, boy). Science fiction. Quantum physics.

Yes, it is great that ships and aircraft can receive live broadcasting.

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for some imput.

Hi. Do you know if the Regatta's TVs (upgraded last January during the drydock, hopefully) now have the ability to display CC's better, whether it has to do with the TV or the reception?

Archived