Sea Sickness Remedies ??

Ask your doctor to prescribe the pill. Half a pill and your wife won't feel a thing. We had 40 foot seas in the south Pacific and we were fine. Have never taken anything on a Caribbean cruise, but people swear by ginger, the wrist bands, etc.

I've tried the bands, but they seem to be a very personal thing - they worked OK for me, for a while, but I rarely get queasy at all.

The slight movement of the ship doesn't normally bother me at all, so I'm not the best person to judge by.

But my DIL is pretty prone to motion sickness, that was one of the biggest concerns she had when we took them on their first cruise in Dec. She was fine, except for the one day where we had bad winds, and the ginger worked fine for her. I think she had some ginger gum. She has to be careful, since she takes blood pressure medication.

What form does the ginger come in? pills? where do you get it?

Thanks!

Yes. You can get ginger pills at any drug store.

I spent many years at sea in the service, so I've seen a lot of seasickness. There is a huge mental aspect to seasickness, so a placebo will work with some people. However, for those truly sensitive to motion, the natural remedies, like ginger, seem to be the best. Plus, ginger will not put you to sleep.

On our last -- very choppy cruise -- everybody told us to eat green apples and soda crackers. I will say that if my tummy was full I felt less queasy. When I was hungry I felt like crap. As for the green apples -- couldn't find a single one :eek:

In very rocky seas everyone on our cruise that took ginger and relied on green apples was still sick. We took Bonine (Meclizine)and were perfect, and I usually get very seasick! Available in the US and on the ship. I had some sent to me from the US by my brother and started taking it the night before we sailed. Took it for the first nights, and then only when the captain said the next day would be rough.

I'm sure Ginger would work for some, but for very choppy seas I wouldnt take the chance. Bonine blocks the message to the brain that makes you sick, ginger just calms your stomach a bit.

What form does the ginger come in? pills? where do you get it?

Thanks!

This is what we got for my wife at Walmart. She is very prone to motion sickness and swears by these ginger root pills. Even took one AFTER feeling seasick and it made her better. No side effects either.

Oops, sorry about that! I got meclizine from the doctor and it worked wonders.

You do not need an Rx for meclizine. It is sold OTC as Bonine. Can be purchased at any store (Walmart, Target, drug store chains, etc.) Be aware, however, that Bonine is not a curative, but rather a preventative. In other words, take one every day starting a day or two prior to cruising. If you wait until you feel seasick to take it, then it likely won't be very effective.

Also, Dramamine is good (but it will make you sleepy) if you start to feel seasick. Ginger tablets/pills (also available at any store) taken twice a day is helpful.

You can ask your doctor for a prescription for Scopalamine patches, but be aware that they come with a boatload (sorry, couldn't pass up the pun) of side effects, including dizziness, dilated eyes, dry mouth. Some folks do very well with these patches, some not so well.

Another Rx you can request from your doctor is Compazine. I never cruise without it. For me, this is what I take when I need to get out the "big guns." It does make me very sleepy, but I'd rather sleep for a few hours than be sick....;)

Hope this helps!

Karen

So, does anyone drink alcohol while taking Bonine? Does it make you tired? Any other side effects?

Yes, a few drinks, and wine with no ill effects, on three cruises so far, but that's me. Hasn't made me tired, I swear by it. I take one a day, about mid-day.

Holly

The only thing that works for me is Bonine. It's over the counter and you chew them. The patch makes my vision blurry and at my age, I don't need it any worse than it already is!

One of my favorite Captains, a Norwegian, from another cruise line, now retired, told me about this one. When his mother was still alive she used to love to come onboard and sail with her son as Captain but she would get terribly seasick. Someone recommended to the Captain that he try an old folk remedy - every morning have her eat an apple and do a shot of scotch, and they swore she wouldn't be seasick. She didn't drink, but was willing to try anything - so she tried it, and it worked. So after that, everytime she was on board there would be a apples and a bottle of scotch in her cabin, and she religously, every morning, ate her apple and drank her shot of scotch and never got seasick again.

It does make some sense - the acid apple would settle your stomach, and the shot of scotch would relax you.

Lydia

ps. The captain was not known for his tall tales, he was very straight up kind of guy.

I take meclizine but it's important to start taking it prior to the cruise so it's in your system. I take it when I get up and again before dinner and it does the trick for me. It doesn't make me tired and having a few drinks hasn't had an impact either.

There is another natural remedy for nausea, unfortunately, it's currently illegal unless you get a "medical license" for it. :D

That remedy isn't allowed on board the ships... and of course, there's the whole smoking policy now, too!

KeywestK had is right though.

Bonine (OTC) = Dramamine II (OTC) = Meclizine (OTC) = Antivert (Rx) = Meclizine (Rx)

It's sold over-the-counter as a motion sickness remedy, and sold as a prescription for the treatment of vertigo.

It works. May make you tired, give you a dry mouth... but it works. You can probably have some alcohol with it... in moderation. Just be aware that both alcohol and the pills can make you tired... so you may feel EXTRA tired.

Ginger works, there's the pills and candies and gum... but they work when you have nausea, I'm not sure how it is to PREVENT motion sickness.

200.JPG

There's the prescription patch, Transderm-Scop... which is the scopolamine patch. Lasts 3 days, goes behind the ears, can cause drowsiness, dry mouth.

A last resort, and the only one recommended for kids under the age of 6 is Benadryl (diphenhydramine)... dries you up, makes you really tired... but can help with motion sickness.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/diphenhydramine.html

Motion Sickness: For active and prophylactic treatment of motion sickness.

... and, of course, the wrist bands... which have mixed results.

Most cruise lines have Bonine or Dramamine in the gift shop... and I think some of the lines have the stuff at the purser's desk complimentary.

Archived