Tattoo shop on board?

Hot4acruise

Has anyone ever seen a tattoo shop aboard a ship? I was thinking about trying to open one up. I've never seen one, has anyone else? Also, who would I contact to try to set this up? :D

I suppose that you could contact the cruise line that you would like to open a shop on.;)

I cannot see enough people wanting tattoos to make opening up a parlor a viable option. You'd have to rent the space, which is not cheap, and share a percentage of your profits with the cruise line. Then you have the matter of liability, and I cannot see any cruise line wanting to take on the kind of liability that a tattoo parlor would demand.

A Tattoo Parlor on board?? WOW! What with all the disagreement in the CC threads over smoking vs no-smoking, shorts-in-the-dining-room, the wearing of caps,hats, and bathrobes, food likes & dislikes, etc, - can you imagine the threads over a tattoo parlor on board?? Don't even want to open that can of worms.....:eek:

Has anyone ever seen a tattoo shop aboard a ship? I was thinking about trying to open one up. I've never seen one, has anyone else? Also, who would I contact to try to set this up? :D

Welllll, anyone from Carnival comes to mind. :)

A Tattoo Parlor on board?? WOW! What with all the disagreement in the CC threads over smoking vs no-smoking, shorts-in-the-dining-room, the wearing of caps,hats, and bathrobes, food likes & dislikes, etc, - can you imagine the threads over a tattoo parlor on board?? Don't even want to open that can of worms.....:eek:

:confused: Why? Who would care?

If someone wanted a tattoo, great...... let 'em get one.

Why would anyone care if someone wants it as long as no one ties them down and forces one on them!!!! :eek:

Breathing second hand smoke is quite different. No? ;)

:confused: Why? Who would care?

If someone wanted a tattoo, great...... let 'em get one.

Why would anyone care if someone wants it as long as no one ties them down and forces one on them!!!! :eek:

Breathing second hand smoke is quite different. No? ;)

Just saying it would open a new thread topic with endless discussions of the pro's & con's of "To Tattoo or Not Tattoo" - that's all. Who would care if one wears their bathrobe to & from their cabin to the pool, but apparently 350+ folks do...;)

Me?? Not so much....:) I'm too busy enjoying my cruise.

NCL use to offer AIRBRUSH i say 'use to' because my last 2 cruises it wasnt offered...i always use to get one...just something FUN--as i would NEVER do the real...cant stand PAIN:eek:i MISSED having one, but did get a HENNA one in Costa Maya...lasted over a month--they said 2 weeks--it was COOL.....

on the STAR sailings to the MR they always were busy with the AIRBRUSH ones!

They don't even do shaves with real razors on board ships because of the risk of a lurch or tilt - but a tattoo!!??

You'd have to confine yourself to some pretty simple designs.

Actually several cruise lines DO offer shaves with real straight razors.

They're great.

Several cruise lines also offered the temporary ink tattoos for a time.

The service was not very popular.

The biggest reason for the demise of the service was the passenger cabin needed for the person operating the tattoo machine.

The service didn't generate nearly enough revenue to justify giving the cabin.

Don’t contact the cruise lines contact the vendors like Steiner that staff the spas on many of the cruise lines.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Pending Cruises:

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

Thank everybody for all their advice. I'm going to try to get the ball rolling. I have already designed a platform to tattoo on that would stay steady even if the ship lurched. I would hire an artist and a body piercer and they could share a cabin. I think that I could pre-book enough appointments that the customer base would be there. Also, I think some of the big name artists would be interested in doing guest stints in the shop. They have a hugh following and have waiting lists a month long. Wish me luck, I'm writing my first letter tonight ;)

How would a brand new tatoo fair in the ocean and sun of most of the tropical ports? would the new owner have to avoid sea water and sunshine for the rest of the cruise? (I am picturing one of those low back tatoo's and thinking that doing an excurion following that would really hurt. Wouldn't most people want to relax, painfree on their cruises? What if someone got an infections or had a bad reaction to the ink,needles,process, etc. and Health codes are something you would have to look into. I wouldn't care if one was on board, I am just playing devils advocate for you:) Good luck in your endeavors.

Hot4,

You also have some interesting licensing and health compliance issues. Pretty much every state I know of requires tattoo shops to be licensed and inspected by the board of health, and tattoo artists need to be licensed in the jurisdiction they work in. I don't know how this would work in all the numerous US ports, foreign countries' ports, and out in international waters as I'm not a lawyer, but it presents complex issues with personnel and credentialization. There is also the issue of shared liability of the cruise line and convincing their marketing and legal departments that it enhances their overall product with minimal downside risk. I think might well be your biggest hurdle. I'm very new here, but in the little I've read I get the impression that quite a few folks wouldn't like seeing a tat prlor on the ship's "main street" even if Kat von D herself was there doing it.

The biggest reason a tat shop onboard would not work is because people like to go out in the sun during a cruise. Having a fresh tat during a cruise and not going into the sun, surf, or pool would suck.

I have to agree with this assesment.

I have a tattoo and had to carefully plan when I got it so that it would be fully healed before sun exposure. I am interested in another but it is taking me a long time to decide on a design I want on my body forever. Since I am unlikely to make up my mind in the next week or so I will be putting it off until December or next January.

An additional issue, barring a well known guest artist being available, most people who get tattooed do a great deal of shopping for an artist who's work appeals to them. I would not get a tattoo from someone on a cruise ship unless they had a portfolio to reivew ahead of time and I was able to see (in "the flesh") and talk to a few satisfied clients. You should do a lot of research ahead of time as a tattoo is pretty much permanant.

Good luck to you in any case. I am well aware that not everyone thinks about these things ahead of time (witness my friend with the "Yosemite Sam" on his arm, or the other with the name of a former girlfriend on his chest who he dated for a total of 6 months) so it might actually work that people make a spur of the moment decision to get inked while on a cruise.

I've never had ink done and knowing my luck, if I were on a ship, we would hit a nasty wave and it would get ugly fast :lol:

Been there and done that on dry land and one can not move at all.

I can not imagine the length of my mouse's tail if the ship tilted while it was being done. :eek: :D

I am afraid your shop might not do too well. :(

Plus, isn't it true, too much alcohol makes the ink run? :eek: :D

(In one's system.) ;)

Archived