Getting diningroom/restaurant food "to go"?

NJfoodie

I know that the regular cabins won't be able to order from the regular restaurants/MDR for room service, but only from the limited room service menu, but is it possible to go to the dining room and ask them to wrap up your meal for you to take back to your room? The scenario I'm thinking of is that we'll be traveling w/ a baby and while most of the times that we've gone out to dinner with him, he's pretty well behaved, if a meal runs late despite our best efforts to eat early, he starts getting tired and we find ourselves asking for the rest of the meal packed up so we can get him to bed before he melts down. I'd hate to have to just abandon the meal I'm probably already enjoying, especially if there was a surcharge involved, and I don't want to waste food either. I'm not asking for it to be delivered, just to be able to bring the plate with me back to my room if we need to leave abruptly.

We were in the MDR at lunch one afternoon on the Pearl when the table next to us had to go. they asked that their meals be prepared "to-go" and left with them no problem. They really go out of their way to accomidate passengers.

And, another option that we took advantage of - or should I say my wife too ADVANTAGE of. I would go to Buffet and get a plate full of various items, cover it with an extra plate and take it to the cabin. Then we would sit and relax while we 'snacked' in front of the tv, or on the balcony.

And, another option that we took advantage of - or should I say my wife too ADVANTAGE of. I would go to Buffet and get a plate full of various items, cover it with an extra plate and take it to the cabin. Then we would sit and relax while we 'snacked' in front of the tv, or on the balcony.

We've regularly done this, especially at lunchtime, to pick up a plate at the buffet and enjoy lunch on our balcony. I'm more looking at it from a standpoint of if we were already in mid-meal and need to depart abruptly as we are traveling for the first time w/ our baby. I vaguely remember having the restaurants sometimes pack up dessert for us to bring back to our room, but it's been a couple years since our last cruise.

I have never had any problem getting a meal or just dessert to go. If fact, on Jade, we used to split up with our friends and head to different restaurants - one to the buffet for cheeses and olives and other antipasta, another to the Blue Lagoon for wings and someone else to the TexMex place for chips and salza and one to a bar for a bucket of beer and then all rendezvous for pre-dinner drinks and snacks.

I have never had any problem getting a meal or just dessert to go. If fact, on Jade, we used to split up with our friends and head to different restaurants - one to the buffet for cheeses and olives and other antipasta, another to the Blue Lagoon for wings and someone else to the TexMex place for chips and salza and one to a bar for a bucket of beer and then all rendezvous for pre-dinner drinks and snacks.

Good idea I hadn't thought of that one.

I know that the regular cabins won't be able to order from the regular restaurants/MDR for room service, but only from the limited room service menu, but is it possible to go to the dining room and ask them to wrap up your meal for you to take back to your room? The scenario I'm thinking of is that we'll be traveling w/ a baby and while most of the times that we've gone out to dinner with him, he's pretty well behaved, if a meal runs late despite our best efforts to eat early, he starts getting tired and we find ourselves asking for the rest of the meal packed up so we can get him to bed before he melts down. I'd hate to have to just abandon the meal I'm probably already enjoying, especially if there was a surcharge involved, and I don't want to waste food either. I'm not asking for it to be delivered, just to be able to bring the plate with me back to my room if we need to leave abruptly.

Not that you need my validation but I’d like to Thank you for being such considerate fellow passengers…and as the others have posted I don’t think you’d have a problem in asking for your dinner to go…

we've done it before...

partway through dinner our son (just turned 2 at the time) decided he wanted nothing to do with the MDR so i took him back to the room and my husband brought our plates back for us - they covered them with room service type covers, even the little birthday cake they got for our son!

On the Gem in February, they would no longer allow you to "take out" wings...

I hope they let us take wings 'to-go' on the Epic in June. We will all be verrrrry disappointed otherwise.

Did they tell you why not????

Intrepid ~ you must have been on my cruise ;)

We also had the idea of getting some Blue Lagoon food rather than the Buffet to take back to the room for the rest of the group. You would have thought I was trying to take state secrets out of the White House!! :eek:

We finally just convinced the waiter that my daughter and I were going to EAT all 5 items we ordered right there at the table. Then we consolidated everything onto 3 plates and walked out when nobody was looking.

I expected to have a problem, however, because another day, when I tried to take our Orchid Garden dinner "to go", the waitresses were scurrying all around acting as if it were the most out of the ordinary request they had ever heard.

On the Jewel last April we got the fish and chips to go from the Blue Lagoon. Explained that DD wasn't feeling too well due to too much sun and there was no problem. It came on a proper plate with a plastic cover and with salt and pepper sachets, cutlery and napkin. DD was delighted and ate it in bed:D

We wanted to take some of our desserts etc back to our room on the Jade several times and we always got a response back about our safety and we "might trip and fall" carrying the food so they would send it with a waiter,

We wanted to take some of our desserts etc back to our room on the Jade several times and we always got a response back about our safety and we "might trip and fall" carrying the food so they would send it with a waiter,

Nice service! I am psyched for my upcoming trip on the Jewel!

Love this idea!!!!

Not that you need my validation but I’d like to Thank you for being such considerate fellow passengers…and as the others have posted I don’t think you’d have a problem in asking for your dinner to go…

You took the words right out of my mouth.!:D I hope they enjoy their 1st cruise with their baby.:D

I usually bring snacks back to our cabin. But I find the tables too small in most cabins to really enjoy a big dinner, preferring a dining room or restaurant.

My feelings exactly. We have ordered full breakfast on HAL, but found it just to tight to really be enjoyable..As you said, snacks are one thing, a full meal, not for us whether on the balcony or in our cabin..

Nita

Archived