Anyone not wear a jacket or tie on formal night?

barberesr

I always wear a dark suit, white shirt and tie. I also wear shoes even though the Princess dress code does not require tie or shoes.icon10.gif

Thank you for wearing shoes even though it was not detailed in the dress code :) I guess the next thing, passengers will come dressed in their tux or Dark suit, bare foot :eek:.

The key of this discussion appears to now focus on two words: a) Inforcement and b) complaince

In reality neither word should be germane to the discussion.

There are guidelines clearly published in the pre-cruise information for all passengers to see even before they book a cruise and upon which they can base their decision.

On board, the Princess Patter again outlines the appropriate (yes, appropriate) dress for each day of the cruise.

Individuals either choose to follow the guidelines or to flaunt them. It is much like in society, some folks abide by guidelines and others choose to ignore them.

In fact, Princess really makes it pretty easy as it has rather relaxed guidelines for men on "Formal" nights. Princess guidelines state that either formal e.g. tuxedo or what is usually classified as informal e.g. trousers and jacket are fully acceptable attire.

Would the same individuals who oppose the guidelines take the same stance if invited to a formal wedding or other such occasion? Perhaps they might.

My hopes is that Princess reads this Thread and makes a decision to either start enforcing the dress code for Formal Night which is a Tux or Dark suit or do away with Formal Night, which would be very sad.

I believe that it is inconsiderate for some passengers to decide that they can ignore the dress code when there are others who take the time to fit in that suit or tux in their luggage. There are so many other dining options on a ship, that I really don't think it is too much to ask passengers that choose to use the MDR on only 2 Formal Nights, to dress appropriately.

I totally concur. At the same time, we do not allow ourselves to be concerned with the people who do not have the decency to abide by a very simple protocol, with simply ignore them.

The following poll was concluded in July of this past year, so should still be current. The poll allowed only one vote per customer, rather than multiple posts of a single opinion

It is of interest that Hosts Laura and Andy have posted concerning discussion of dress on formal nights on the same day this poll closed. If you haven't read their post, please see it at this link click here This includes the Princess dress code of

For formal evenings, men wear tuxedos, dark suits or dinner jackets, and women wear evening gowns, cocktail dresses or elegant pant suits.

The poll on what men actually wear on formal nights has closed with the following results. They support the fact that most follow the guidelines, and that exceptions are present.

• Of the 551 total respondants who use the Main Dining Rooms on formal nights, 449 (81.5%) of men dress per the formal dress code.
  • An additional 52 (9.4%) dress nicely with sport coat and tie in the spirit of the dress code, bringing the total to 90.1% who dress well for the evening.
  • Only 35 respondants (6.4%) go to the main dining room but do not follow the dress code.

Some excellent reasons were shared for the manner in which people dress, including formal dress, military dress, formal kilts, and informal dress for health reasons.

Thanks to all for the good discussion. I really appreciate how many people participated in the poll and discussion without the problems seen on some other threads. That's what Cruise Critic is all about - sharing our experiences for the benefit of the reader.

As I mentioned before - the intent was to answer the question often asked by newcomers about "what should I (or my DH) bring to wear on formal night?" From your response the answer is pretty clear (with exceptions noted), and we have some numbers we can collectively quote in the future.

Thanks again. See you onboard ship.

The silent majority of Cruise Critic members spoke very clearly in the above poll about what they do.

In much of the discussion I believe that many are missing the opportunity of formal nights, focussing instead on what is allowed or not. The opportunity is to spend an evening in an elegant atmosphere with your partner/spouse/friends. The way one dresses is a part of this. Consider also the Captain's welcome party held on formal night, the opportunity for really nice pictures which can be enjoyed for years, the upscale entertainment in the atrium.

But most of all - consider the gift of an elegant and romantic evening that you can give to your partner/spouse. As I have said before, the look in Joanne's eyes and the smile on her face when she sees me dressed up in tux or suit is well worth any discomfort I might have with a snug collar or tie. And the fun we have together on those evenings is really a special part of the Princess cruise experience.

So, wear what you want but take advantage of the opportunities as they come along in life, adn allow us to do the same.

And has been pointed out several times to the results of that survey, the views of 550 of the more hard-core cruisers does not in any way reflect what the millions of people cruising each year are actually doing. What it does is take an extremely small subset of the cruising population and determine what their preference is. Unless the survey was done on a broader scope without the demographic bias that exists here it's completely invalid. It's about the same as taking a survey at a climate change convention and asking people whether they believe that global warming is a reality, the answer is fairly predictable.

Cruise lines publish specific guidelines for dining.

It appearsthat some who book cruises do not bother to read the differences between the cruise lines and adapt their dress choices to the guidlines.

As an example here are NCL, Carnival, and Princess guidelines. Note they are quite different.

NCL:

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Carnival:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido restaurants.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Princess

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido restaurants.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

It really appears to be quite clear.

It appearsthat some who book cruises do not bother to read the differences between the cruise lines and adapt their dress choices to the guidlines.

As an example here are NCL, Carnival, and Princess guidelines. Note they are quite different.

NCL:

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Carnival:

Princess

It really appears to be quite clear.

Except when you get on the ship and it's not enforced.

It appears that some who book cruises do not bother to read the differences between the cruise lines and adapt their dress choices to the guidlines.

I'm guessing you got your cut-and-paste confused, but the Carnival and Princess sections you posted are identical and the two lines do differ in their policies. Also, nowhere in the Princess cruise answer book does it say required for clothing choices. The section is title "Clothing Suggestions" and outlines the suggestions for each night. It concludes by stating "Dress code is subject to change with the ship's itinerary. The above is a general guide." Read pages 14-15 on the cruise answer book and nowhere will you see the words mandatory or required, they make their suggestions and leave it open to each person to interpret.

To insure accuracy, the cut and paste posted above each came from the cruise line's site.

For Princess it was: http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/bring.jsp

For Carnival it was: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

For NCL it was: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ

I'm guessing you got your cut-and-paste confused, but the Carnival and Princess sections you posted are identical and the two lines do differ in their policies. Also, nowhere in the Princess cruise answer book does it say required for clothing choices. The section is title "Clothing Suggestions" and outlines the suggestions for each night. It concludes by stating "Dress code is subject to change with the ship's itinerary. The above is a general guide." Read pages 14-15 on the cruise answer book and nowhere will you see the words mandatory or required, they make their suggestions and leave it open to each person to interpret.

It sounds to me like someone cut & pasted something from a very old Princess guideline booklet. They do not say "Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room."

Just read page 15 and nowhere under the smart casual or formal does it say suggested! The section entitled on page 14 entitled clothing sugggestions is a separate captioned paragraph and is not a part of the smart casual or formal dress captions. Good try though.

Again I would request the hosts to shhut this thread down. It is getting out of hand.

To insure accuracy, the cut and paste posted above each came from the cruise line's site.

For Princess it was: http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/bring.jsp

For Carnival it was: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

For NCL it was: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ

Except what you posted for Princess does not even remotely resemble what is in the link you just provided. Nowhere on the Princess site do they reference required clothing, it's all listed as suggestions or general guide.

Just read page 15 and nowhere under the smart casual or formal does it say suggested! The section entitled on page 14 entitled clothing sugggestions is a separate captioned paragraph and is not a part of the smart casual or formal dress captions. Good try though.

Again I would request the hosts to shhut this thread down. It is getting out of hand.

And nowhere does it say mandatory or required, on that page is says the above is a general guide.

And nowhere does it say mandatory or required, on that page is says the above is a general guide.

Page 15 has no wording that say general guide. The caption "ONBOARDATTIRE" with no colon is followed by two sub captions with asterisks for Smart Casual and Formal. I am looking at it as I type.

Makes no difference to me, you can wear what you want. It also states under Smart Casual that shoes must be worn, but under formal it doesn't say anything about shoes. I guess that means you should wear a suit or tux but shoes are optional.

It also has pictures to show what is proper.

This will be my last post on this thread. I do not want to dissapear from the boards. You can take your chances.

Page 15 has no wording that say general guide.

Actually, yes it does, in the yellow section under detailing the number of formal and casual nights per cruise right after "dress code is subject to change according to ship's itinerary".

The only thing different on formal night is the way they want you to dress,nothing else is special.
There are a few things special to some folks. One of the formal nights will be a champagne waterfall. Also, there will be a reception for Captains Circle members. The ship's photographers will be out in force. There will be opportunities to have your portrait taken. It's a good opportunity for people watching.

But IMHO, after a few cruises, formal night gets a bit old. We will be on our ninth Princess cruise next month and for the first time we will be dining in the Horizon Court on formal night. I am pretty sure we would feel a bit out of place in the MDR, so why try.

There are a few things special to some folks. One of the formal nights will be a champagne waterfall. Also, there will be a reception for Captains Circle members. The ship's photographers will be out in force. There will be opportunities to have your portrait taken. It's a good opportunity for people watching.

I guess I was speaking more about the dining room experience but I completely understand your point.

Interesting subject. Spent Christmas and New Years on Ocean Princess in Asia. We are from the old school and sort of dress for formal nights. As it was the holiday season we wondered if we put enough formal wear in the suitcases . Not to worry the head waiters in black tie line up to greet everyone in the dining room. They did not seem to mind T Shirts and jeans being worn. Makes us wonder why we paid for extra weight on the aircraft. Our opinion has changed. Princess should only have one dress code. "no muscle shirts and shoes required."

To the OP. Where are you? I’m sure you’ve had time to read and digest all the different opinions concerning your question. Just curious what are you going to recommend to your brother?

Good question. I hope we didn't scare the OP off with the various opinions. There's a great wealth of information on CC that is sidelined every once in a while by clothing, smoking, or chair-hog threads...

Archived