QV Grille Dining question

Debbers

We have booked a Princess Grille stateroom for our Panama Canal cruise next year. I understand that PG and QG passengers can dine when they please at reserved tables. How does that work? If we share a table (as we hope to do) and come in after the others have started, will it be awkward for them or us to be at different stages in our meal?

We have booked a Princess Grille stateroom for our Panama Canal cruise next year. I understand that PG and QG passengers can dine when they please at reserved tables. How does that work? If we share a table (as we hope to do) and come in after the others have started, will it be awkward for them or us to be at different stages in our meal?

I have previously dined in the Queens' Grill on Queen Elizabeth 2. The waiting staff will manage well. Do not be worried.

Normally people seem to fall into a pattern of starting together, or at least finishing together.

Just take it as it comes. You'll be fine.

It is "Grill" by the way - not "Grille".

Debbers, When you book the grills, you have the freedom of dining when you want within the opening hours. There are tables for two, four, and more. If you ask for a larger table, you can feel free to come and go when you want, and the staff will make you comfortable. If your dining mates come earlier or later, the only issue you might have is missing conversation time with your new pals.

I usually book a table for two, but they are close enough that you find yourself in conversation with those close by, much as you would with those at the same table. This has worked so well, that we have friends from all over, whom we see when were in England, San Francisco or NYC.

You will also have the option of dining in the Courtyard, as we did on the World cruise in 2009. That is a particular treat in warm weather.

You will enjoy the pleasure of Grills dining.

Cheers Mike

With the ability to dine at any time that the restaurant is open, if you are at a table for more than 2, dining at the same time as your tablemates could be a problem. We usually request a table for 6 and this has worked out well for us. On all but our most recent trip we have agreed to meet up with our tablemates in the bar before dinner, and when everyone is ready, we would go through for dinner. On our recent trip we were seated with 3 elderly single people who had been on the ship for several weeks before we embarked. They all liked to eat early so they could catch the early show, or else go to bed (it's hard work doing a whole world cruise). We like to eat later, especially on shore days. What we ended up doing was arriving for dinner as they were finishing their dessert and coffee. We would all sit and chat for a while, and catch up with what everyone had done during the day. They would then head off, and we would have dinner alone. Towards the end of our trip we noticed that they were staying later and later, and it was delightful hearing about their lives and adventures, and annual World Cruises! It wasn't ideal, but worked out quite well. I never actually got to the restaurant for breakfast or lunch on this trip, but I imagine it would have been easier to coordinate with them for those meals!

Enjoy your trip, QV is wonderful!

We have always had a table for 2.

You will find that those on larger tables all tend to meet at a specific time to avoid all the comings and goings. This means that you don't have the freedom to dine when you please.

As has been previously stated, even if you are on a table for 2, you will still have plenty of opportunity to have conversations with others around you, or you can keep to yourselves if you prefer.

Enjoy the ship!

Stewart

.... This means that you don't have the freedom to dine when you please.

This is absolutely false. I have been at tables for 6 on the QE2, QM2 and QV in the Queens and Princess grills and there is absolutely no obligation to coordinate your dining time with table mates. You dine when you please any time during the dining hours published in the daily program.

You will find that those on larger tables all tend to meet at a specific time to avoid all the comings and goings. This means that you don't have the freedom to dine when you please.

This is absolutely false. I have been at tables for 6 on the QE2, QM2 and QV in the Queens and Princess grills and there is absolutely no obligation to coordinate your dining time with table mates. You dine when you please any time during the dining hours published in the daily program.

I think the truth lies between these two positions. SullaRaffaello is of course right when he says that there is no requirement or diktat to eat at any time, but equally there is sometimes some social pressure to meet for drinks before dinner and to go in together. Equally I have been on tables where arrival is staggered throughout the cruise or crossing.

One needs to have the confidence not to be dictated to, but with the manners not to offend. I have yet to meet someone who cannot easily do this.

I have been at tables for 6 on the QE2, QM2 and QV in the Queens and Princess grills and there is absolutely no obligation to coordinate your dining time with table mates. You dine when you please any time during the dining hours published in the daily program.

While there is indeed no obligation to coordinate your dining time, many people do, and I am glad they do. Afterall the social aspect is for many the main reason to choose a large table.

Fortunately at every single table I have been seated, we arranged somehow to dine together may it be by explicit agreement ("Would [eg.] 7.30 be a good time for you?"),

most often by adjusting a little bit without need to talk about (like finding everybody tends to arrive between for example 7.30 and 8.00, the first just wait a little bit. If the difference in arrival time is longer, the waiters are often very good in adjusting the speed of service, such that at latest the second or third course is served together.),

or by using the aforementioned "trick" of meeting for drinks before dinner. On some nights guests will be invited to cocktail parties anway.

O course there is no OBLIGATION to dine at a specific time, but in practice that's exactly what happens.

I have never seen people at larger tables coming and going continually, that would simply be ignorant and bad mannerly, but there's always the exception that proves the rule.

O course there is no OBLIGATION to dine at a specific time, but in practice that's exactly what happens.

I have never seen people at larger tables coming and going continually, that would simply be ignorant and bad mannerly, but there's always the exception that proves the rule.

Er, yes they do and more often than you think.......... It's like a game of musical chairs in there!

Can a person dine alone at a table for two in Princess Grille? Or is solitary dining not permitted?

Thanks

Yes it is possible to dine alone.

People at large tables do come when it suits them, even on tables for 4, people will not always choose to dine at the same time.

Usually at some time during the meal their paths will cross, unless one couple chooses to dine very early and another very late.

Agree - big tables generally settle into a routine after a couple of nights....much more comfortable than sitting as a two at an empty table for six....

Archived