Key West Not Safe???

VABeach

Those darn Gypsy Chickens are a horrible threat! :) I supose they could peck your ankles or carry all sorts of diseases.

Key West is just as safe as any other port, even safer if you consider your US protections.

It's not just for that day. I checked the other dates for Grandeur and Kew West has been removed from all of them. :( This is so disapointing. I could understand if a hurricane had just hit, but this is really close to sailing date, especially for those sailing in May. It doesn't make sence.

Booo Hooooo.:(

I remember reading somewhere in the past year that Key West was getting complaints that the town was being overrun with cruise ships.

I am going to guess that there has been a limit placed on how many ships per day are allowed and RCL didn't win the lottery, was unwilling to pay the port charge, or didn't sign the contract fast enough. So regardless of the fact that they advertised and sold cruises advertising this stop, you (and everyone else) who had hopes, laid out money and made vacation plans for this are out of luck. :eek:

Did you look at cruises out of Philly and Norfolk? Maybe you can cancel RCL and find a ship from another close port thats going there.

Alright now, this wasn't suppose to turn into a hate thread about homeless people.:rolleyes: I just want to know why I can't go there and why my dad can't go Tarpan Fishing. He's wanted to do that for YEARS and this was going to be his big chance. It's the only reason he agreed to go on this cruise.:(

If your dad wanted to go Tarpon fishing, there are many fishing tours out of Key West. Maybe you/he should have just flown to Key West, stayed a hotel, and chartered a tour. I mean, if that was the only reason he wanted to go. It's not too late to cancel the cruise.

So are you saying next year in Feb 2006 I should talk to my T/A about my cruise that one of the ports are in key west. And I'm cruising with RCCL Enchantment

The only one I checked was Grandeur out of Baltimore. It's not going to Key West for any of the Baltimore sailings.

The prices are pretty much too high to book with another cruise line now. Guess we're just screwed out of Key West. It's not going anywhere else to make up for it either. I think it sucks to cut out a whole island this close to sailing. A year out I might understand better. This is just 4 months out for people on the 5/13 sailing which is almost sold out.

Haha:p about flying to Key West, Dad won't get near a plane. That's why we had to sail from Baltimore.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a trend with RCI replying to inquiries with something other than the truth. If they are going to be less than candid they could come up with something that at least makes sense. This is just one more example of someone feeling like they are getting the run around from customer service.

There is no way that a port within the U.S. is going to be less safe then any foreign port that ships stop at. I am not even going to speculate as to why the port has been cancelled but I can't fathom than it has anything to do with the response that RCI offered.

VABeach...I'm sorry that Key West was dropped from your itinerary and would be just as upset as you. Have you spoken with any management personnel at RCI to question the itinerary change and the "safe" factor? I'm the type of person who will call a dozen times and escalate my question/situation until I get a satifsfactory answer.

Good luck. I hope your dad gets his wish.

Alright now, this wasn't suppose to turn into a hate thread about homeless people.:rolleyes: I just want to know why I can't go there and why my dad can't go Tarpan Fishing. He's wanted to do that for YEARS and this was going to be his big chance. It's the only reason he agreed to go on this cruise.:(

It appears as though due to Mexican immigration laws, no tourist can remain in Mexico for 24 hours without a tourist permit. That would be why they aren't letting you off the ship when you first arrive. They should however let you off from 8 PM forward unless they are concerned with "saftey" of guests being in a foreign port overnight, especially with people getting into trouble with over drinking at Carlos and Charlies or Senor Frogs in 12 hours.

It appears as though due to Mexican immigration laws, no tourist can remain in Mexico for 24 hours without a tourist permit. That would be why they aren't letting you off the ship when you first arrive. They should however let you off from 8 PM forward unless they are concerned with "saftey" of guests being in a foreign port overnight, especially with people getting into trouble with over drinking at Carlos and Charlies or Senor Frogs in 12 hours.

Has Key West been sold to Mexico?? I'm confused by this post!

Norma

[quote name='phlydude']It appears as though due to Mexican immigration laws, no tourist can remain in Mexico for 24 hours without a tourist permit. That would be why they aren't letting you off the ship when you first arrive. They should however let you off from 8 PM forward unless they are concerned with "saftey" of guests being in a foreign port overnight, especially with people getting into trouble with over drinking at Carlos and Charlies or Senor Frogs in 12 hours.[/QUOTE]

They BETTER let us off!!! So I can go to Carlos and Charleys.:D :D :D Can you say "Fish Bowl"? ~

[quote name='VABeach']Thanks to the "Look to See Who's Going to be Docked at Your Island" thread, I noticed that MY ship was NOT going to be in port on the day we're "suppose" to be there.:rolleyes: So I checked the itenerary and yes, it's been removed.:(

I called RCI and was told that Key West is "not safe to stop at". This is the main reason my parents are even going on this cruise. I know iteneraries can change, but I'm not sure I buy the whole "not safe" thing. Is that true or just a bunch of crapolla???

What's going on in Key West?[/QUOTE]

Could this have been during their "festival" time? I am thinking it is around October, but not quite sure. I know they have alot of people in the streets dressed in costume, and some with nothing on but body paint! This could be why they changed it----so people would not be offended ( if they found it offensive. )

Great, we are scheduled on the Rhapsody 3/27 Key West, Grand Cayman, & Cozumel. Have already read on other threads that the GC port has been passed up in January & February, now we'll miss Key West too? That would be 2 of our 3 scheduled ports. I'm going to be very unhappy if that is the case:(

Check on [url="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/group/home.do;jsessionid=0000Sw-NZmFrUtHObc_U4k5Y8U9:v29bc4qk?portCode=EYW"]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/group/home.do;jsessionid=0000Sw-NZmFrUtHObc_U4k5Y8U9:v29bc4qk?portCode=EYW[/url] You'll have to click on "Find Cruises sailing to this Port". I might also recommend that you check it often to make sure it hasn't changed, especially if you book excursions on your own.

[quote name='normaxs']Has Key West been sold to Mexico?? I'm confused by this post!
Norma[/QUOTE]

The itinerary was changed from a stop in Key West to arriving in Cozumel early but they wouldn't be able to leave the ship until scheduled debarkation. Referenced in this post:
[quote name='VABeach']Grandeur June 10. This is our itenerary: [url="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruises.do;jsessionid=0000bBReZbPyndeRT4o5bqBiYVZ:vnkcfnbg?packageCode=GR09CBL2&sailDate=1050610"]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruises.do;jsessionid=0000bBReZbPyndeRT4o5bqBiYVZ:vnkcfnbg?packageCode=GR09CBL2&sailDate=1050610[/url]

June 14 USED to be: Key West 7:00am - 2:00pm

Also, they aren't sure if they are going to let us off the ship at 7:00pm on the 14th. They said we might have to wait until 10:00am on the 15th to get off!!!:mad:[/QUOTE]

We were in Key West 2 years ago in September and stayed at a hotel there for 2 weeks. We rented a moped and was out riding on Duvall Street every day and night until midnight. We found it to be a very friendly and a very safe place. Aside from that, last year, we docked and stayed at Key West for an afternoon with Carnival Pride without any problems. Key West has the most beautiful sunsets I have seen anywhere yet and is as safe as any other port ships dock. These ships have been docking at Key West for years, why does it become unsafe all of a sudden???? Makes you wonder what the underlying problem RCI has with the port at Key West.

Archived