Key West Not Safe???

VABeach

We were there during Fantasy Fest in Oct and felt very safe. In fact, so safe we are going back next Oct only taking digital camera because 7 rolls of film were not enough.

I do understand you disappointment. We are experiencing the same thing in Oct on Mariner. The western caribbean for our cruise only has changed its schedule to miss Ocho Rio and Labadee. They give the reason as Bearthing conflict. This seems odd since they have done this itenerary over a year and this date is the only one changed. Both new ports we have been before. Oh well, at least we will be cruising. Just have to go back again and try to hit those ports next time.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but....Key West *has* become overrun with cruise ship passengers and it has affected the flavor of the town. I often went to Key West for long weekends in the 1990s as a land guest and loved the place. Went back last year on the Fascination. It was the first time I had been since 1995 and the change was quite noticeable and not for the better (IMHO).

However, that doesn't make it 'unsafe'. If the reason RCI isn't docking is because the locals are cracking down on the number of ships, just say so. I think the residents of Key West have a right to limit the number of cruise ships that dock in their town and, ultimately, if they can take the hit to the economy - so be it.

[quote name='Merion_Mom'][url]http://www.cruisephilly.com/calendar/#2005Cruises[/url]

Carol[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. Looks like most, (though not all) ships leaving from Philly go to Bermuda. I never realized cruise ships used this port; I always pictured it as a commercial goods hub vs. cruise ships. You really do learn something every day on this board!

I don't mind (and completely understand) if Key West doesn't want to be overrun with tourists. But they should at least honor the contracts they already have with the cruise ships. If they decide not to renew next year, great, but backing out this close to sail date stinks!:mad: Key West was still on our schedual a week ago.

I'm still waiting for an answer from RCI. They are suppose to be e-mailing me today with an explanation.:cool:

When Princess cancelled Cabo San Lucas on our cruise, the official reason was "safety purposes" After we were on board, crew explained it was a faulty engine, but the Princess officials felt that their passengers would be more accepting of the change if we thought it was a security issue.

I guess it's a good catch all phrase:mad:

Hi,

I don't really see the problem. You are still 6 months or so out, why don't you just change to a different cruise that will suit your needs better. I doubt that you have more than the deposit down at this point. RCL would probably change your reservation to a different cruise if requested. RCL can not control when ports are going to limit the number of ships allowed into their ports. We are cruising on RCl Rhapsody and are still going to Key West. Try that ship if you just have to go to Key West.

Kevin

[quote name='VABeach']I don't mind (and completely understand) if Key West doesn't want to be overrun with tourists. But they should at least honor the contracts they already have with the cruise ships. If they decide not to renew next year, great, but backing out this close to sail date stinks!:mad: Key West was still on our schedual a week ago.

I'm still waiting for an answer from RCI. They are suppose to be e-mailing me today with an explanation.:cool:[/QUOTE]

I don't think you should jump to the conclusion that it's "Key West" that is not honoring their contract without knowing full facts. You're right about one thing...if they had some sort of a contract, RCI as big of a company as it is, would never let Key West back out of that contract. There is more to this than meets the eye and I would imagine most of it has to to with RCI.

[quote name='nrdsb4']Thanks for the link. Looks like most, (though not all) ships leaving from Philly go to Bermuda. I never realized cruise ships used this port; I always pictured it as a commercial goods hub vs. cruise ships. You really do learn something every day on this board![/QUOTE]
The ships actually dock at the old Navy yard just a couple miles from the airport. There are cargo piers further north on the river in Philly and further south in Essington (along with the oil unloading platforms and docks).

Carnival used to cruise out of PHL in the past as well but doesn't look like they have anything planned for 2005

Jenny: I would be interested to see what RCIs response is.
I looked and the only other ship in port with us is the Fascination. I tend to believe this is an issue with RCI.

Some of us have already booked flight arrangements (for four) and since there are no other ships out of Baltimore...that leaves us pretty well commited..
Not really a must to stop in KEy West but we booked this cruise for the ports...if it were just me and my hubby -- I'd gladly take another sea day....!! :D

[quote name='nrdsb4']Thanks for the link. Looks like most, (though not all) ships leaving from Philly go to Bermuda. I never realized cruise ships used this port; I always pictured it as a commercial goods hub vs. cruise ships. You really do learn something every day on this board![/QUOTE]We are cruising on the Enchantment to New England and Canada this summer. I'm looking forward to just getting dropped off by friends at the pier WITHOUT THE HASSLE OF DEALING WITH USAIR! :D

Carol

That's crazy talk..

Key West = Unsafe..
St. Croix = Safe...

RIIIIIIGHT....

Just got back from a stop at St. Croix. They're doing some big improvements at Fredricksted..walk a block or two from the pier and you start to worry..looks like a scene from a bad 60's biker movie...but they did have cops on every corner and put on a short street performance and had samples of Cruzan Rum!

All of the previous posts are a hoot - there's nothing unsafe in KW except uneven sidewalks, there's no port maintenance, there's no revolt. But there are wild chickens, wild cats, homeless panhandlers (who should should NOT give money to), a bizzillon bars, tacky tourist shops, and gobs of people. But without you all this town would be flat broke...so come on down and have the time of your life. Go to the KW ports of call where we locals are happy to answer any questions. There are 64 cruises in 2005 that call on Key West. Hope you find one of them that suits your needs.

[quote name='tropicalsunset']Jenny: I would be interested to see what RCIs response is. Some of us have already booked flight arrangements (for four) and since there are no other ships out of Baltimore...that leaves us pretty well commited..
Not really a must to stop in KEy West but we booked this cruise for the ports...if it were just me and my hubby -- I'd gladly take another sea day....!! :D[/QUOTE]

I agree. There aren't any other RCCL cruises that we can switch to without having to go to FL to do it. Since my dad won't fly, and I'm not driving to FL, we're stuck with this cruise too. It pretty much is our only option, other than Bermuda.:(

It's not a horrable itenerary, I just hate the bate and switch. I've pretty much been to the other stops several times so Key West was the one I was looking forward to. It was the one we were ALL looking forward to. I just hope I get a good answer. (Still waiting....)

[quote name='endi302']Hi,

I don't really see the problem. You are still 6 months or so out, why don't you just change to a different cruise that will suit your needs better. I doubt that you have more than the deposit down at this point. RCL would probably change your reservation to a different cruise if requested. RCL can not control when ports are going to limit the number of ships allowed into their ports. We are cruising on RCl Rhapsody and are still going to Key West. Try that ship if you just have to go to Key West.

Kevin[/QUOTE]
The problem is that RCI is not telling the truth. You just showed that with your own post. It is safe for Rhapsody to call there but not for other ships? How did we get from the safety issue that RCI stated to Key West limiting port calls? That was NOT RCI's explanation.

Maybe you don't see dishonesty as a problem but I do.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']The problem is that RCI is not telling the truth. You just showed that with your own post. It is safe for Rhapsody to call there but not for other ships? How did we get from the safety issue that RCI stated to Key West limiting port calls? That was NOT RCI's explanation.

Maybe you don't see dishonesty as a problem but I do.[/QUOTE]

Hey OB I am not sure it is dishonesty, but ignorance, and bad customer service reps. I am highly dubious of RCI telling the reps to lie. I think you have a lazy customer service rep and they make up a story to make the person calling go away. Heck they may even think it was funny. :rolleyes:

BTW, Key West is not dangerous, so call back and say what is the real reason. I would bet that they don't actually know at the customer service level, and I would bet that the real answer is that the Conch republic is just living up to their reputation. They are very "progressive" in Key West!:D
jc

OK, I see your point. But it is an RCI representative that is providing the information and RCI should be responsible for the actions of its employees. We have been through countless issues on these boards with customer service providing erroneous information.

This is just like post #55 above by karfest. Princess using a port safety issue to cover up an engin problem. Folks, or at least I, are much more likely to be forgiving if they are told the truth then when they are lied to.

Drove to Key West in '03 and was unimpressed actually. The place is definitely safe though. Just too many t-shirt shops and bars for this old man. Cruised on Rhapsody last November and had a blast on the ship. Personally, I cruise to get OFF land so the port stops are just a by-product of the cruise. Costa Maya was fair and Cozumel was a great dive stop. The ship was a blast and thoroughly enjoyable. If you don't get to Key West, enjoy the onboard fun. We will be going on Rhapsody next Oct. 9th once again. Probably yearly. ENJOY AND GET OUT THERE! :)

This is the biggest problem I have with RCCL. The customer service reps have no clue at all!!! They need to tell the real story otherwise there will be posts on cruisecritic with over 3 pages of speculation. I'll bet if you called again, you would get a different story. Call a third time you will get a third story. Just like when my cruise last yet was not going to Labadee due to civil unrest, I called to find out the replacement port. Everytime you call, it was a different story. One time I called they said we were going to Nassau on Grand Bahama Island (she had no clue that Nassau and Grand Bahama Island were not the same place). RCCL really needs to train these people better or they will start to loose cruisers to other lines! I wonder if most of these customer service reps have ever seen a cruise ship!

[quote name='2112'] Just like when my cruise last yet was not going to Labadee due to civil unrest,[/QUOTE]

That's an excuse I could actually live with. To take away an island and not replace it with ANYTHING and to do it for no valid reason (that they can come up with) doesn't go over well with me.

I don't believe the "not safe" excuse. The guy didn't seem to have a clue about anything when I was talking to him. I'm sure it was just an excuse.

[QUOTE]That's an excuse I could actually live with.[/QUOTE] I think that was a valid excuss as well, my point is that when you call you can't get a straight answer from their customer service folks. I really think that safety is not the reason for the Key West port being dropped. I think that it was just a story that they either assumed for some reason to try to satisfy a caller or that is what their supervisor told them to say (and maybe the supervisor didn't know either so s/he made that up).

RCI is saying "Berthing Conflicts" - now what that really means is anyone's guess, but my guess is that there are too many ships already scheduled in port that day. There is a pier limit as well as anchored limit here in Key West due to space constraints.

Archived