Gratuities

geordiebing

Here's another good question. If someone removes their participation in the auto tip program and then doesn't give an envelope at the end of cruise, do the workers still get an equal part of the pool (diluted by this of course)?
Cabin stewards and waitstaff participate in the pool regardless. If you remove the auto-tip, it dilutes the amount given to everyone, whether you've had good or bad service. The BEST way to indicate you've had bad service is to put a comment on your Comment Card, explain the situation and what was or wasn't done to correct the situation.

Nobody really knows what happens when you tip a staff member in cash and it's naive to think they wouldn't pocket the cash you hand them.
Since the crew live in very tight quarters where everyone knows everyone's business, and if they are caught pocketing a tip without turning it in to their supervisor, they could be released immediately from their contract and have to make their own way home. That's a huge incentive to stay "honest." You're naive to think they wouldn't be found out.

Whenever I see someone say they want to tip only those who have given them good service, I think of all the times I've gone to the buffet or dining room for breakfast or lunch and had someone run to clear a table, offer to get me iced tea or coffee, etc. and I'm glad I don't have to carry cash around constantly. I assume that if someone does decide to tip individually, they and anyone traveling with them whose tip has also been removed, also carries cash. How do you handle that if you're traveling with children?

I was talking to our waiter last summer and mentioned that I had read comments from people on CC that they dropped the autotip, but gave the same amount in cash to the waiter, assistant and cabin steward. He said he had never had a passenger drop the autotip and give him th full amount.

I have a feeling you are correct. I mean, if you think about it, regardless of the all the fluff, if someone actually removed the auto-tip, they are most likely not going to end up giving the waitstaff the same amount (if they did, they would just leave it on auto-tip).

Sure, it was kind of nice handing out envelopes to people that were just wonderful to you--to show your appreciation, but I don't think I'm buying that someone wants to remove the auto tip so badly because they want to give MORE than what would have come out automatically.

If folks really want to tip more, they'll leave the autotip and tip EXTRA....not in lieu of the autotips.

Just my gut reaction....

Dawn

You could reduce the autotip instead of getting rid of it completely couldn't you? If that is the case and you wanted to then tip someone extra who did go out of there way for you or did something special, they don't get to keep that extra money for themselves? If not, that seems a bit unfair for the workers.

So from what I have read, if autotips are stopped or reduced, all the staff who would otherwise have benefited are actually TOLD?? Surely that's a very unprofessional thing for Princess to do! It's as good as telling the staff not to look after those people as well as they would others?

So from what I have read, if autotips are stopped or reduced, all the staff who would otherwise have benefited are actually TOLD?? Surely that's a very unprofessional thing for Princess to do! It's as good as telling the staff not to look after those people as well as they would others?

Yes the crew are told and they are given a list of the scofflaws. ;)

Yes they told because they are asked what they did to cause the auto-tip to be removed. In almost all the cases, the reason is NOT poor performance of the staff but rather the cheapness of the passenger.

Is it possible to opt out of the current Gratuities scheme. I prefer to give to those who have given me good service.

I am sure you will find that the service is so superb at every level that it will not be an issue so don't worry about it. When we were on the Crown a fortnight ago we both commented at the end of the cruise that the staff had certainly earned every penny of the autotip and I couldn't imagine anyone removing it. I too before cruising thought that the autotip was a strange thing and wasn't keen on the fact it would be automatically added, but having experienced the quality of service which is second to none I will certainly not have the same doubts in the future.

Wrong, I think.

If you opt out of the autotip and tip individually, the individual must give the tip to be put back into the autotip pool and he/she will only receive a small portion of it. This is FACT!!

How do people know these facts. Who would find out a if a steward kept is tip FACT

How do people know these facts. Who would find out a if a steward kept is tip FACT

If you don't believe it, on your next cruise ask the Maitre De, a headwaiter, or better yet your room steward. I have and that is why I say it is FACT.

Is it possible to opt out of the current Gratuities scheme. I prefer to give to those who have given me good service.

On our recent cruise we opted to give $5.50 per day to the auto tip and the money saved we gave to whom we wanted to get more. Gave our waitress, steward, asst. waiter...more money by hand/cash. We went to the persurs desk ans they asked why and we told them we wish to give out $ to certain people...no problem!

On our recent cruise we opted to give $5.50 per day to the auto tip and the money saved we gave to whom we wanted to get more. Gave our waitress, steward, asst. waiter...more money by hand/cash. We went to the persurs desk ans they asked why and we told them we wish to give out $ to certain people...no problem!

They did not get to keep it because you removed part of the auto-tip :eek:

No problem because those you gave the cash to, after you removing part of the auto tip, had to give up what you gave them to put in the gratuity pool. Now, if you would have left the auto tip in place, and then gave them extra, they would have been able to keep it all. ;) So, because of what you did, you actually punished the crew that gave you the best service. Way to go!

It's absolutely no problem but the people you thought were getting it, didn't. It goes right into the tipping pool. Also, if you had breakfast and lunch in the buffet... how did you handle tipping them, which I assume you did. All you did was add to the complexity of adjusting the tipping pool. But I bet it made you feel better to do so. As Toto says, by reducing the amount of the tip, you've punished them financially but also job-wise as it's assumed they've given you less than stellar service, no matter what you told anyone.

Sounds like a great idea to me.:eek:

Here's another good question. If someone removes their participation in the auto tip program and then doesn't give an envelope at the end of cruise, do the workers still get an equal part of the pool (diluted by this of course)?

The same proportions would apply and the tipping pool is diluted.

Your steward knows whether you are on autotip since it is part of his passenger cabin information but nobody else would know unless they ask your steward of course

Yes, they are told because then they know to be on the lookout for an envelope and turn it in as they know their supervisor knows the auto-tip has been removed. Why is this unprofessional? You will still enjoy the same service as the waitstaff/cabin steward will still receive something from the tipping pool. Every time one person removes the auto-tip, it affects them ALL, not just the individuals directly serving the non-tipper.

Been a while since we've been on Princess...

The Princess site says that the AutoTip amount is $10.50 per day for non-suite passengers ($11.00 for mini-suites and suites).

Is this information current (on the amount)?

Thanks,

trvlcrzy

Been a while since we've been on Princess...

The Princess site says that the AutoTip amount is $10.50 per day for non-suite passengers ($11.00 for mini-suites and suites).

Is this information current (on the amount)?

Yes.

I have never understood why the ONLY "perk" you get with a mini suite that regular suites get is the extra tip.....:rolleyes:
There are so many mini-suites they aren't "special" or unusual. No need to give any perks. :) The extra tip is justified in that a mini-suite is larger than a standard cabin and there's more to clean.

There are so many mini-suites they aren't "special" or unusual. No need to give any perks. :) The extra tip is justified in that a mini-suite is larger than a standard cabin and there's more to clean.

It isn't THAT much bigger and its NOTHING compared to the difference between a regular inside cabin and the largest of suites....yet the same 50 cents apply...its no big deal, just an annoyance that mini's get no suite perks other than the tip.....they should just call the mini's large balcony cabins because thats what they are....nothing suite about it! :rolleyes:

It isn't THAT much bigger and its NOTHING compared to the difference between a regular inside cabin and the largest of suites....yet the same 50 cents apply...its no big deal, just an annoyance that mini's get no suite perks other than the tip.....they should just call the mini's large balcony cabins because thats what they are....nothing suite about it! :rolleyes:
While it's true that a full suite is a lot larger, a mini-suite IS larger, particularly on some ships. The bathroom is also larger with a tub instead of a shower. Since there are so many mini-suites on the Grand-class ships, I have no expectation of any perks.

IF and I emphasize IF the staff are really told who removed the auto tip then just don't remove it until the next to the last day of your cruise if that's something you feel you have to do. I personally have never found service lacking enough to remove or reduce my auto tips but others may have.

Archived