Gratuities

geordiebing

Before this thread goes into all out war, here is the factual answer:

Yes, it is possible to reduce or remove the auto tips.

If you pay staff directly and have switched them off, it is said on these boards that the staff have to put the money in the auto tip pool so will only receive a relatively small amount of your tip.

And here is my opinion:

It is better to leave the auto tip on in full ;)

I'm not sure if all lines operate this way but I have been on NCL and will be going on RCI and the gratuities have been optional for both. Although with RCI if you choose the My Time dining option then gratuities are manadatory. I beleive they do this because you don't have assigned seating so you may have a different server each time. They want to make sure they still receive good compensation even though they don't have the oppurtunity to establish a relationship with you like those who have the same customers every seating.

I'm not sure if all lines operate this way but I have been on NCL and will be going on RCI and the gratuities have been optional for both. Although with RCI if you choose the My Time dining option then gratuities are manadatory. I beleive they do this because you don't have assigned seating so you may have a different server each time. They want to make sure they still receive good compensation even though they don't have the oppurtunity to establish a relationship with you like those who have the same customers every seating.

Princess auto tips are charged to your on board account automatically (as the name implies ;)) whatever dining option you choose. You can go to the pursar's desk at any point during your cruise and ask to reduce/increase/remove them should you so wish. :cool:

OK, that brings up another question. If we tip our waitstaff and cabin crew extra, are you saying they have to put that money in the pool too? If not, how would anyone know what came from whom. If so, it'll tick me off, but not to the point that I'd screw those poor people. Don't crew members have any human rights? Turns my stomach!

OK, that brings up another question. If we tip our waitstaff and cabin crew extra, are you saying they have to put that money in the pool too? quote]

If you leave the auto tip in place, then whatever you choose to give extra to staff, they keep.

Simply put:

If you remove the autotip and tip individualy that individual is obligated and must turn in your tip back to the pool getting only a portion of it. Bottom line you are still tipping to everyone in the pool..

If you leave the autotip on and give an individual extra he/she get to keep whatever you give them.

My advice. Leave the autotip and tip extra, or not, if you feel an individual deserves more.

If you remove or reduce the autotip, any cash you give must be put into the pool up to the pool amunt. If you tip beyond that the individual keeps the excess. Keep in mind that people you never see articipate in the pool. These include laundry personnel, cooks, and dishwashers. Without them you cruise would not be as nice.

When we started cruising in the 1994, the suggested gratuities were $3 to the cabin steward (no assistant back then but $1.50 when they started), $3 to the waiter, $2 to the busboy, and $0.50 to the head waiter daily. That added up to $10.00. It's been five years since we've cruised and the amounts are just about the same as it was in the ninety's? We use to double them back then if service was good. What's a good extra gratuity today considering the auto tip?

When we started cruising in the 1994, the suggested gratuities were $3 to the cabin steward (no assistant back then but $1.50 when they started), $3 to the waiter, $2 to the busboy, and $0.50 to the head waiter daily. That added up to $10.00. It's been five years since we've cruised and the amounts are just about the same as it was in the ninety's? We use to double them back then if service was good. What's a good extra gratuity today considering the auto tip?

I have no idea these days, we use the automatic tipping, but usually tip our steward $20 upon meeting him, because we request our egg crates etc. at that point, we'll tip extra if and when we request anything else usually. We usually onely eat in the dining room for dinner, and will tip $5 extra to our waiters if they went above and beyond, we'll also tip our waiters and hostess in the specialty dining venues.

We really enjoyed it when tips were for a job well done and we were able to personally hand over an envelope and thank them at the end of the cruise, being in the hotel industry, I can gurantee you any Consierge, Desk Agents, Bellman, room service and waiters, who knew that they were already promised a tip, would have no incentive to try or go above and beyond at all, it seems (in my personal experience) that has been about the same effect in the cruise industry. I'm ok with it and haven't really ever had "bad," service, just wish the personal experience of gratuity hand off was still there, call me old fashioned :p

Not with out,

Do you tip daily now? I was thinking of an envelope on the last night but your way sounds interesting. Perhaps a handshake with a tip to the waitstaff daily and a bill left on our pillow daily (like we do at hotels) is a better idea.

Editing just to add leaving the auto tip in place too.

OK, that brings up another question. If we tip our waitstaff and cabin crew extra, are you saying they have to put that money in the pool too? If not, how would anyone know what came from whom. If so, it'll tick me off, but not to the point that I'd screw those poor people. Don't crew members have any human rights? Turns my stomach!

Down, folks.

If you leave the auto-tips in place....any extra cash you give to anyone is theirs to keep.

If you remove auto-tips, what they receive will go into the pool.

Also if you have kids who are utilizing the children's program, the counselors aren't included in your tip pool. We'll get a tip envelope for them to hand over the last night, in addition to any extra tips we're giving to the cabin steward and waitstaff.

I find the autotips an easier way to deal with the whole tipping process, compared to having to the old way.

Is it possible to opt out of the current Gratuities scheme. I prefer to give to those who have given me good service.

It's the same thing. You are tipping them either way, correct? Is it that you want to personally hand them an envelope so they know you are giving it to them?

It's also not a "scheme".

The only way they would not get paid is if someone removed the auto tip and then did not tip at all. That's called stiffing.

The only way they would not get paid is if someone removed the auto tip and then did not tip at all. That's called stiffing.

Here's another good question. If someone removes their participation in the auto tip program and then doesn't give an envelope at the end of cruise, do the workers still get an equal part of the pool (diluted by this of course)?

It's the same thing. You are tipping them either way, correct? Is it that you want to personally hand them an envelope so they know you are giving it to them?

It's also not a "scheme".

Wrong, I think.

If you opt out of the autotip and tip individually, the individual must give the tip to be put back into the autotip pool and he/she will only receive a small portion of it. This is FACT!!

I was talking to our waiter last summer and mentioned that I had read comments from people on CC that they dropped the autotip, but gave the same amount in cash to the waiter, assistant and cabin steward. He said he had never had a passenger drop the autotip and give him th full amount.

We find the auto tip so much more conveniant than individual envelopes. We do however usually give an extra amount to the room steward. I've only had wonderful room stewards who help make our trip so enjoyable. We also tend to give extra tips to the folks who have given us extra service such as: bartenders, staff who work at the coffee bar and staff at the international cafe.

Here is how I handle my tipping for a 7 day cruise for the Room Stewart & Waiter:

• Poor Service = Auto-Tip only

• Good Service = $50/pp

• Great Service = $100/pp

• Outstanding Service = $200/pp

Fortunately, I have received Great Service on all by 1 of my cruises, that 1 cruise was Outstanding. I love to tip :D

The answer to your question is yes. Nobody really knows what happens when you tip a staff member in cash and it's naive to think they wouldn't pocket the cash you hand them.

The word is that any staff member who "pockets the cash" and not turn it in will be looking for other employment when found out. It goes into a pool so that all benefit. They keep strict control on the worker bees.

The idea of tipping is a US anachronism long ago replaced in most societies. The idea that a person offering services will provide better services if given a tip is old school. The fact is that if they do not offer good service, complaints to the management will result in either reprimands or termination. Why do we have to use money to control others? This is the 21st century!

Archived