Different classes

In2why

Not sure how to put this......cause no matter how I state it, it will come across at elitist.

I recently was reading about the Titanic with my little people and it showed the different class levels on the ship.

I found it interesting because each class has a different dining room and of course cabin areas. The service also varied depending on the class.

Based on the description most cruise ships have gotten rid of first and third class and everything fits the second class model.

I wonder if there is a market for something like that again. It would stop a lot of the bickering per se on the boards here.

First class of course pays more and has a higher quality of service and food in the dining room. They are also more formal in dress and manners.

Second class is as it is now

3rd class would be less service but less tipping required, the food would all be buffet, and the price of course would be less.

I often wonder as I am reading if this wouldn't suit more people. I would like it how it is when I am with the kids, and more of a first class experience when it is DH and I. Or is that when people choose different cruise lines, so that they get a more upscale experience? Or I guess if you chose to eat in the specialty dining areas each night you would also get the better food, service, and a more formal experience.

Just things that make me go Hmmmmm

Sail Cunard. They still have real 2-class cruising.

More money does not necessarily equal more class. Not sure how spending more would lead to less bickering here. If anything I think it would get downright ugly.

Not sure how to put this......cause no matter how I state it, it will come across at elitist.

I recently was reading about the Titanic with my little people and it showed the different class levels on the ship.

I found it interesting because each class has a different dining room and of course cabin areas. The service also varied depending on the class.

Based on the description most cruise ships have gotten rid of first and third class and everything fits the second class model.

I wonder if there is a market for something like that again. It would stop a lot of the bickering per se on the boards here.

First class of course pays more and has a higher quality of service and food in the dining room. They are also more formal in dress and manners.

3rd class would be less service but less tipping required, the food would all be buffet, and the price of course would be less.

I often wonder as I am reading if this wouldn't suit more people. I would like it how it is when I am with the kids, and more of a first class experience when it is DH and I. Or is that when people choose different cruise lines, so that they get a more upscale experience? Or I guess if you chose to eat in the specialty dining areas each night you would also get the better food, service, and a more formal experience.

I dont think it would stop any of the bickering. Look at the RCL boards if you need proof that your theory wouldnt work. They gave suites some chairs ... way over on the side, not even the ones right by the pool. You should hear the outcry. People probably ordinarily wouldnt even choose those lounge chairs up on the stairs, they want the ones right by the pool, but once they roped them off for suite guests, people cried foul. Discrimination etc.

we are going on the FOS(royal caribbean) this August and will be staying in our first suite a Grand suite at that. Maybe I can give away my suite seat LOL to some 3rd calss passanger. We are staying in a suite just for sh*ts and giggles (and becasue we can afford it this time) . But some people act as thought the suite makes them "Above" the other passsangers. As do the D and D+ people. I find it funny. We are lowly gold becasue we like to vacation other than cruiseing. SO when we go on a cruise and stay in the suite I don't think we will be any better than the lady staying in an inside cabin. And when we stay in our balcony room in January (our first Carnival cruise) I don't think we will be any less a passanger than the guy staying in a suite. SOme people just live in a ME world where everything is about them ..what they deserve what they want ...I don't think anything will ever change that.All you can do is feel sorry for those people.

Can't you get that by the ship you sail? Hal is much more upscale than Carnival. Why divide a ship? Just pick the ship that would suit your needs. It's not like the choices aren't out there.

It's funny. I was checking out the NCL Epic last night and was thinking the same thing as the OP. The whole Villas and PH suite perks is a whole separate "class" thing. Especially for a mass market line. Check this out and I quote their site:

Privacy without parallel.

The Villas is the biggest suite complex at sea and includes an array of Suites and Villas on two private decks at the top of the ship. Hidden away and accessible only by private elevator, the secluded Courtyard Area boasts a private pool, two hot tubs, gym, saunas, sundeck, indoor/outdoor dining and a bar/nightclub. And, of course, the butler and concierge are there to cater to your every whim.

They don't use the word "Class". "Private" is their term. I'd love to see a thread on our board asking specifically our comments on this ship. It's not Queen Mary, but is sooo different for a mass market line like ours. It's actually very cool looking.

There are two sides to this. Some people take it as options (you don't have to do it) and some people take it as having to pay for something they think they are entitled to (for free). I doubt you will see Carnival go further in this area.

I think it's best when there is a choice involed and not a sign...only Queens Grill beyond this point..If we are all on the same ship, I want the same options even if I have to pay for them..if I get on the QM2 I don't even have the option to buy my way into that dining experience once I've chosen a cabin...

I would like elegant night to be just that, if you don't want to be involved and dress the part then there are choices for you..but wish cruise lines would hold a harder line on the dress code just for that one night..

It's funny. I was checking out the NCL Epic last night and was thinking the same thing as the OP. The whole Villas and PH suite perks is a whole separate "class" thing. Especially for a mass market line. Check this out and I quote their site:

The Villas is the biggest suite complex at sea and includes an array of Suites and Villas on two private decks at the top of the ship. Hidden away and accessible only by private elevator, the secluded Courtyard Area boasts a private pool, two hot tubs, gym, saunas, sundeck, indoor/outdoor dining and a bar/nightclub. And, of course, the butler and concierge are there to cater to your every whim.

They don't use the word "Class". "Private" is their term. I'd love to see a thread on our board asking specifically our comments on this ship. It's not Queen Mary, but is sooo different for a mass market line like ours. It's actually very cool looking.

I appreciate the nudge in that direction.....I don't know why I assumed that NCL ships were something different than they appear to be....perhaps when I first looked at that line I looked at an older ship.

I love the private courtyards. They seem much more serene, and I would hope that you wouldn't have to fuss to keep the kids out of the hot tubs, or worry about chair hogs.

I am looking hard at the Pearl for an Alaskan cruise.

The cruise lines (esp Carnival) has built their business on everyone being treated the same. However, even Carnival now has a way to upgrade your experience onboard for a price.

There are so many different reasons people cruise. I no longer cruise for the "cruise experience". I cruise for a purpose and that purpose is to get me to my favorite dive spots the cheapest I can go. I am extremely low in the needs/wants dept. Just let me on the boat that is headed where I want to go, feed me, and give me something to do on sea days.

Some people want to feel pampered and I think those are the majority which is why I can't figure out why they are decreasing the serving staff. We all know they are the lowest paid people on the ship and they are the same ones who make the people feel pampered. I am fine with less, but I still think the majority cruise to gets those extra touches that only having enough service staff is going to give them.

Everytime I get onboard for the last year or so, even I have noticed they are giving less.

I appreciate the nudge in that direction.....I don't know why I assumed that NCL ships were something different than they appear to be....perhaps when I first looked at that line I looked at an older ship.

I love the private courtyards. They seem much more serene, and I would hope that you wouldn't have to fuss to keep the kids out of the hot tubs, or worry about chair hogs.

I am looking hard at the Pearl for an Alaskan cruise.

That was not a nudge in any way. I'd bet the chair hogs would be worse and the kids probably more obnoxious. That Epic ship has stuff I've never seen. They have specifically set up solo rooms which are tiny but who cares if you don't pay that double surcharge. They have a private bar/lounge just for the solo cruiser. How cool is that? I highly doubt we'd ever go NCL but I really enjoyed found it fascinating. One of my pet peeves about CCL is that most of the ships are cookie cutters (Promenade deck specifically). That's why we love Spirit Class. I love CCL is trying Dream Class. It's something different. I may try it just for that fact. The fact that Epic and Oasis are so different from the usual is quite intriguing.

At first I was thinking "what a crazy idea, bringing back steerage class." Then the more I thought about it, and from the many insightful posts, there is quite a bit of variation in what you get depending on what you pay. Some cruise lines have the VIP lounges, and even on Carnival there are the Spa cabins on the Splendor. Besides the steak restaurants. But I love that you can book an inside cabin and dine in the MDR, and get excellent service just like the people at the next table, who might have booked the owners suite. I'd hate it if Carnival went the route of a lower dining & service experience unless pricier cabins were booked.

I personally don't want to see separate classes on the ships. Cunard does it....great...I wont' cruise Cunard.

I love that everyone is treated the same.....one of the reasons i love Disney. Your there....and it is magical....rich, poor, middle......everyone gets the same smile:D

K

You won't find too many poor people on Disney. They can't afford it.:(

I don't think it's a bad idea, in that you get what you pay for.

I myself would stay in the middle because I like it where I'm at, if I want to be pampered I book a spa appointment or go the supper club, but most of the time I'd rather not worry about being dressed perfectly, manicured perfectly or have make up on all the time.

I keep myself groomed well, but that isn't to say I feel the need to put on an "outfit" for breakfast, some capris and t shirt does me just fine.

Cheers to all, whatever "class" you want to buy into

Carole

I think this is something that is best accomplished by different ships or different cruiselines. I like cruising the way it is now. I prefer to save money, so I can take more vacations, by booking an inside stateroom on a lower deck. I would not want to be denied services as a result of that choice. If that were the case, I would choose not to cruise and I suspect that I am not alone in that choice.

On a family cruise a few years ago, we had 8 staterooms. Three of those were suites and five were inside staterooms on the main and riviera decks. While we had different price points for traveling, we loved being able to enjoy the cruise as a family.

When I was looking at ships for our next cruise, I ruled this ship out because of this.

Archived