Traveling with Baby- What size blow-up pool will fit on balcony?

happyfaerie

Hi All,

We will be traveling on the Jewel in May out of NYC. Since my 18 month old is not allowed in the public pool (bec hes still in a diaper) a lot of ppl suggested bringing a small blow-up pool for the balcony. Sounds crazy, but many ppl say they do it.

Can anyone suggest what size/brand pool will fit nicely without being too big?

I asked for dimensions of the balcony and they told me 38 sq feet which doesnt really help mathematically challenged people like me . any advice would be appreciated!

thanks

C

Not exact, but I am thinking it is about 3-4 feet from door to rail. In any event, I can not imagine the royal pain in the.... trying to get enough water from the bathroom to the pool for your child to play in the water. Add in the headache from blowing the thing up.

Surely not worth all that effort. Let him play in the tub at home before and after the trip! Or something.

Reminds me what a friend recently said about taking their two year old to Disney. Most fun he had was the day they went to the store to buy stuff. Needs of a 2 year old are minimal. Food, sleep, dry diaper and parental love of course. LOL!

When my DD was 15 months, I brought one like this to bring down to the kid's pool area. It was easy to blow up and nice and small (fit between 2 deck chairs without moving them). You can also use it to bathe him in if there is no tub in your cabin and it can be deflated and brought to the beach for him to splash around in! Have a GREAT cruise:D

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_681842_especially_baby_noahs_ark_inflatable_tub_reviews

Hi All,

We will be traveling on the Jewel in May out of NYC. Since my 18 month old is not allowed in the public pool (bec hes still in a diaper) a lot of ppl suggested bringing a small blow-up pool for the balcony. Sounds crazy, but many ppl say they do it.

I asked for dimensions of the balcony and they told me 38 sq feet which doesnt really help mathematically challenged people like me . any advice would be appreciated!

thanks

C

How would you go about removing the water from the pool out on your balcony once you go through all the "water-carrying" needed to fill it?? You won't be able to pick it up & just dump it off the balcony. You will need to lift it over the 4' railing and then try to dump the water out over the balcony without thoroughly dousing the balconies or passengers or whatever happens to be below you. :eek:

You may want to check with the cruise line & find out if this is even permitted. I'm not saying it is or isn't - just have never seen it before on any of the 20+ cruises we have taken.

How would you go about removing the water from the pool out on your balcony once you go through all the "water-carrying" needed to fill it?? You won't be able to pick it up & just dump it off the balcony. You will need to lift it over the 4' railing and then try to dump the water out over the balcony without thoroughly dousing the balconies or passengers or whatever happens to be below you. :eek:

You may want to check with the cruise line & find out if this is even permitted. I'm not saying it is or isn't - just have never seen it before on any of the 20+ cruises we have taken.

It can be carried to the in cabin shower, unplugged, and drained. Not rocket science:rolleyes: Keep in mind, the average toddler only requires a few pailfuls of water to be entertained.

It can be carried to the in cabin shower, unplugged, and drained. Not rocket science:rolleyes: Keep in mind, the average toddler only requires a few pailfuls of water to be entertained.

I don't know -- water is very heavy. Even just a few pailfuls would carry some weight. Two people trying to carry or drag it to the bathroom without spilling any, assuming the pool is strong enough not to split a seam somewhere? Even "swim diapers" leak -- are you sure you would want to risk spilling the used water anywhere on the balcony or on your cabin carpet? The child will never know you might have brought a pool if you don't bring it. I agree you may wish to check with the cruise line to be sure it's even allowed.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

I agree. why even bother. If you CAN get a pool on the balcony, there won't be any room for anyone to sit, so what you YOU going to do??

Can't your child go a few days without a pool??. If you must bring one, take it down to the regular pool area, set it up between some chairs, so you can watch the baby and still soak up some rays.

Cheers

Len

You're better off asking questions like these on the family boards - people are way more child friendly there. And they have all the ideas on the baby pool, on how to fill them and where to empty them at.

Not sure what type of cabin you have, but if it's a basic balcony, there is only a shower in the bathroom. I would get a baby tub for bathing purposes mostly, and then you can use it on the balcony or out by the pool if you want. The duck one is small, but works well: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3331853

I have to agree with most comments here...I think it is WAY too much work for what it is. (esp since I believe ship rules say nothing can be kept on balcony for safety reasons.which means constant emptying and moving of pool)..AND..just the movement of the ship or wind could cause people below or along side to get wet...not very "neighborly."..

That's just silly. Even when you try to carry a large bowl of water it goes sloshing around and spilling easily. The baby wouldn't know he's missing anything by you not bringing it.

No, actually it's not silly at all:rolleyes: I answered the OP's question based on my own experience. The tub I linked above is very sturdy. I was able to pick it up by myself, carry it to the drain, unplug it, and drain the water without incident. Not a huge deal, people;)

I think it is a great idea. I would bring it down to the pool area and have him play in it between the chairs he will love it other wise he will want to keep getting into the big pool. When my kids were little I always had a blow up pool by a big pool or when we went to the beach or lake. It worked out great.

I think it is a great idea. I would bring it down to the pool area and have him play in it between the chairs he will love it other wise he will want to keep getting into the big pool. When my kids were little I always had a blow up pool by a big pool or when we went to the beach or lake. It worked out great. You can bring a batter operated thing to blow it up sold in the camping area of the store for air mattresses. And a beach bucket to fill the pool up with. The one that some one linked to looks great or you might find a slightly larger one at Target. They fold up small and if you go to a beach I would take it so that he can have water to play with there also.

You're better off asking questions like these on the family boards - people are way more child friendly there. And they have all the ideas on the baby pool, on how to fill them and where to empty them at.

Not sure what type of cabin you have, but if it's a basic balcony, there is only a shower in the bathroom. I would get a baby tub for bathing purposes mostly, and then you can use it on the balcony or out by the pool if you want. The duck one is small, but works well: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3331853

Great advice and I agree that the OP should check out the Family Thread if she hasn't already done so. Many people over there can answer her questions based on ACTUAL experience instead of all the hypothetical what if scenarios you get over here! LOL!

Seriously people, a baby only needs a couple of inches of water to splash around in and stay cool! It would have to be VERY windy or rough seas to spill that tiny amt of water out of the tub, onto the balcony below! And I'm sure the OP would have enough common sense not to leave her baby out on the balcony in a pool if the winds were high or the seas were rough;)

Your are quite correct - it's not "rocket science" as you so condescendingly put it.

Water weighs about 8 1/2 pounds per gallon. One or two "pail's full" can easily equate to one or two gallons (nearly 18 pounds of a motile liquid) in a hurry. One still has to empty/carry the pool, regardless of where they intend to do so - moving it to the bathroom by carrying it through the cabin, to the shower or tub without dousing the carpet or bathroom floor, OR by lifting it up & over the the balcony rail and not be concerned about wetting the cabin balcony below ( if that should apply) or the passengers on deck beneath them.

Water moves - try carrying a gallon or two of water through your kitchen or bedroom or living room - in am 8'' X 36" plastic collapsible plastic container (pool) without spilling any.

I have no dog in this fight - really! I was just trying to ask the OP to consider whatever inconveniences bringing a pool on board for a 15-month old might entail, and to check with the cruise line to make sure that it is OK to do so, especially to place a pool out on their balcony.

I think it is a great idea. I would bring it down to the pool area and have him play in it between the chairs he will love it other wise he will want to keep getting into the big pool. When my kids were little I always had a blow up pool by a big pool or when we went to the beach or lake. It worked out great.

The OP might also want to consider if the other folks sitting in the surrounding chairs might think this is such as "great idea". Being at the beach or a lake is one thing - being on a cruise ship is quite another.

Hi All,

thanks

C

I have not yet been on the Jewel, but I know the Gem has a splash area for little ones. I have seen little ones in there with swim diapers on.

I am wondering if the Jewel has the same thing?

This is on the Gem. They are both Jewel class ships (don't know if that matters)

DSCN4103.jpg.495658b816db748ab4c84dd1cf580ee0.jpg

Your are quite correct - it's not "rocket science" as you so condescendingly put it.

Water weighs about 8 1/2 pounds per gallon. One or two "pail's full" can easily equate to one or two gallons (nearly 18 pounds of a motile liquid) in a hurry. One still has to empty/carry the pool, regardless of where they intend to do so - moving it to the bathroom by carrying it through the cabin, to the shower or tub without dousing the carpet or bathroom floor, OR by lifting it up & over the the balcony rail and not be concerned about wetting the cabin balcony below ( if that should apply) or the passengers on deck beneath them.

Water moves - try carrying a gallon or two of water through your kitchen or bedroom or living room - in am 8'' X 36" plastic collapsible plastic container (pool) without spilling any.

I have no dog in this fight - really! I was just trying to ask the OP to consider whatever inconveniences bringing a pool on board for a 15-month old might entail, and to check with the cruise line to make sure that it is OK to do so, especially to place a pool out on their balcony.

Wasn't trying to be condescending, just trying to make the point that moving a blow up tub is not as complicated as some on this thread are making it out to be! I've done it on more than one occasion without spilling a drop of water. I blew up the tub, filled it with a couple small pails of water. Just enough to provide about 2 inches of water for my toddler to safely splash around in. When she was done, I picked it up, walked to the drain, and carefully poured the water out. Here's the exact tub I own: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3417460&CAWELAID=401709195

Picture it filled with water up to the first blue wave. When fully inflated, the bottom of this particular tub is incredibly sturdy, as are the sides. Is it that hard to imagine someone being able to walk from a balcony to the shower without spilling??? I'm half tempted to dig my tub out of the attic, fill it with a little water, and video tape myself walking across the room just to prove to ya'll it can be done!!!! :D

The OP might also want to consider if the other folks sitting in the surrounding chairs might think this is such as "great idea". Being at the beach or a lake is one thing - being on a cruise ship is quite another.

why would it bother someone?

I am not a mom and my DN & DN are all grown.

But I think it is a lovely idea. It is about making memories. I would pack a small inflatable something. I'd go to Dollar Tree and buy one of those clear plastic pitchers and pack something inside it and put it in my suitcase.

You could put the pool on the balcony and fill it making 3-4 trips to the sink. Then take baby out and splish splash a bit. Take some fun pictures, you don't need a lot of room - put a towel down and sit on the floor. So baby coos and giggles for 30 minutes. I don't think neighbors would be overly upset by this. (I've had drunks next door who would be considered more offensive.). When finished, take baby in and then use the same pitcher to remove the water... A few trips to the sink and you're done.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Wasn't trying to be condescending, just trying to make the point that moving a blow up tub is not as complicated as some on this thread are making it out to be! I've done it on more than one occasion without spilling a drop of water. I blew up the tub, filled it with a couple small pails of water. Just enough to provide about 2 inches of water for my toddler to safely splash around in. When she was done, I picked it up, walked to the drain, and carefully poured the water out. Here's the exact tub I own: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3417460&CAWELAID=401709195

Picture it filled with water up to the first blue wave. When fully inflated, the bottom of this particular tub is incredibly sturdy, as are the sides. Is it that hard to imagine someone being able to walk from a balcony to the shower without spilling??? I'm half tempted to dig my tub out of the attic, fill it with a little water, and video tape myself walking across the room just to prove to ya'll it can be done!!!! :D

I believe you! Guess 'cause I'm a "senior" and have trouble emptying a tray of liquid when walking across my kitchen, I was playing "devil's advocate' here. Of course, you are assuming the OP has that exact same pool - right??? ;)

I was involved in Industrial Safety my whole working life, and some folks have no idea how heavy or how "sloshy" water can be and just assume that it will be no problem picking up several gallons of water in a less-than-sturdy-sided container and walking it, or lifting it, several feet through an obstructed area, without any impact on their surroundings.

Thanks for the visual. Love the friendly dialogue on these boards and I wish you the best in all your future travels. :D

Archived