Can you still just show up and book?

MoneyGuy

My sister used to have a friend who would fly to a cruise port, book a motel and show up at the cruiseline desks and would eventually find a cruise that wasn't full and she'd get on the ship for a really cheap price. With security the way it is, is this still possible to do?

My sister used to have a friend who would fly to a cruise port, book a motel and show up at the cruiseline desks and would eventually find a cruise that wasn't full and she'd get on the ship for a really cheap price. With security the way it is, is this still possible to do?

In the port of Miami, they check to see that you have booked passage or you can't get through to the check in counter. And there is no counter outside of that area except perhaps security.

The final manifest is submitted shortly before sailing. But I *think* that's just a last minute update with who was scheduled, but did not board. (Could certainly be wrong.)

We've had to show our passports/ID's and the cruise ticket at the port security check points. The manifests have to be sent in about 60 minutes before sailing, but without a ticket in hand, you may not get through port security.

You can call the cruiseline the day before the sailing, particularly Carnival, and might be able to get a booking. I know one person on the Carnival board reported being able to book the morning of the cruise. But they don't have the facilities at the port to 'sell you a cruise'. You have to be booked when you show up. EM

Archived