Anyone had experience with TravelEX?

We have; had to make a claim for a medical cancellation, received our refund with no trouble in just 18 days. There are different policies, make sure you look at the DOC (Description of Coverage) in the small print .pdf file before you purchase to ensure that what you want covered is included.

I have purchased travel insurance from them for a few cruises. They are A+ rated so you can't get any better. You should not get a company rated anything lower than A. Next, no two travel insurance are alike so go to insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com to look and compare various policies. I generally get Travelex Select because its medical insurance is adequate, but it is primary (meaning it pays first before my insurance company does - I have a high deductible medical insurance). It has a fairly high medical evacuation limit. For me, that is the two most important things. For you, it may be cancellation policies (which are more similiar than different among travel insurance as they are written - how they turn out in real life, I don't know).

Have had to file claims two times with Travelex and they paid promply.

One was a claim for $18,000. Had reservations for a Tauck trip to Alaska for 3 people, and a month out had to cancel due to sickness. Filed paperwork and withing 6 weeks had check for Full amount. It was a lifesaver!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering going with them also. Thanks! I'm new to this, so it is very helpful to hear from others. Cruisediva also mentioned them on her blog. Primary coverage would be important for me also, and their prices seem to be in line with others offering secondary coverage.

I have purchased travel insurance from them for a few cruises. They are A+ rated so you can't get any better. You should not get a company rated anything lower than A. Next, no two travel insurance are alike so go to insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com to look and compare various policies. I generally get Travelex Select because its medical insurance is adequate, but it is primary (meaning it pays first before my insurance company does - I have a high deductible medical insurance). It has a fairly high medical evacuation limit. For me, that is the two most important things. For you, it may be cancellation policies (which are more similiar than different among travel insurance as they are written - how they turn out in real life, I don't know).

Where do you get the rating though? Is there a website to list all major insurers?

Thanks,

Scott

Where do you get the rating though? Is there a website to list all major insurers?

Thanks,

Scott

That A+ rating really doesn't have much to do with Travelex. It's the A. M. Best rating for the underwriter they use which for their new series of plans is Nationwide. Nationwide also underwrites many other travel insurers such as Tru-Travel, Seven Corners, and others.

An A. M. Best is rating is their opinion as to the underwriter's financial ability to pay any claims that might be presented which of course is very important. But even underwriters rated as low as A- are still considered to be "excellent" by A. M. Best.

This rating has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of Travelex's plans, their customer service, their calims-paying history, or whether or not any of the plans are a good value -- A. M. Best doesn't look at these factors at all. So just don't read any more into these ratings than is really there.

That said, I believe Travelex is one of the best out there.

I used to buy HTH because they and CSA have no pre-existing conditions if purchased within 24 hours of final payment. However their rates have increased a lot for me. For our next trip, I investigated several policies through Insuremytrip and settled on Travelex. It is one of few which has a 60 day pre-existing condition clause. Others have 120 days. As stated above, they are A+ rated, and they are also rated A+ on BBB. The details of the policy fit us well. We have no recent pre-existing conditions.

We did not have to insure for the total trip price to obtain full medical coverage under the policy. You might have to do so, however, should you desire waiver of pre-existing conditions. To obtain waiver, you would also have to buy within at the stated time after initial payment.

I am pleased others here have had good service from Travelex.

Bob :cool:

was thinking of going with Travelex (seemed the most affordable and primary), but in the fine print I read underwater activities (which would be scuba for me) were listed under "Exclusions". So back to the drawing board! Now I'm scanning the fine print. May have to go with secondary coverage policy if it will cover illness or injuries from scuba. We haven't gone diving in over 8 years (and would be still a beginner), so I don't have any experience with buying trip insurance.

was thinking of going with Travelex (seemed the most affordable and primary), but in the fine print I read underwater activities (which would be scuba for me) were listed under "Exclusions". So back to the drawing board! Now I'm scanning the fine print. May have to go with secondary coverage policy if it will cover illness or injuries from scuba. We haven't gone diving in over 8 years (and would be still a beginner), so I don't have any experience with buying trip insurance.

If it's the Travelex Select plan you're looking at you can add their "Adventurer Pak" for an additional $49 per policy (not per person) that will waive this exclusion.

If you read the exclusions you probably saw that an exception is "scuba diving (unless accompanied by a dive master and not deeper than 50 feet);". If that applies to what you plan on doing you're OK anyway.

One of the most liberal plans in regards to scuba is Global Alert (found on insuremytrip or direct here: https://www.etravelinsurancecentral.com/globalalert/ ) which has this exclusion:

"7. participating in skydiving, hang gliding, bungee cord jumping, or scuba diving if the depth exceeds 130 feet or if You are not certified to dive and a dive master is not present during the dive;"

130 feet is about the best you're going to find. This is assuming you're certified.

If it's the Travelex Select plan you're looking at you can add their "Adventurer Pak" for an additional $49 per policy (not per person) that will waive this exclusion.

If you read the exclusions you probably saw that an exception is "scuba diving (unless accompanied by a dive master and not deeper than 50 feet);". If that applies to what you plan on doing you're OK anyway.

One of the most liberal plans in regards to scuba is Global Alert (found on insuremytrip or direct here: https://www.etravelinsurancecentral.com/globalalert/ ) which has this exclusion:

"7. participating in skydiving, hang gliding, bungee cord jumping, or scuba diving if the depth exceeds 130 feet or if You are not certified to dive and a dive master is not present during the dive;"

130 feet is about the best you're going to find. This is assuming you're certified.

Thanks Cruiseco. I didn't see the 50' limitation on travelex. That may suffice. Since we are certified novices, we may not go deeper than that anyway. I'll take another look.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also looking into the Travelex Select policy and am curious as to the pre-existing condition look back period as we have missed our 21 day window since intitial deposit. Is the 60 day look back period from the date of purchase or the date of departure? All my kids have had a cold and required antibiotics for sinus and ear infections in the past 60 days and dont know if I should wait to purchase the insurance. Otherwise we are all generally healthy. Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

We are also looking into the Travelex Select policy and am curious as to the pre-existing condition look back period as we have missed our 21 day window since intitial deposit. Is the 60 day look back period from the date of purchase or the date of departure? All my kids have had a cold and required antibiotics for sinus and ear infections in the past 60 days and dont know if I should wait to purchase the insurance. Otherwise we are all generally healthy. Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

For trip cancellation it's the 60 day period prior to the date you buy the policy

The lookback period is 60 days from the date you purchase the insurance. If you had to cancel your cruise due to anything related to an ear and/or sinus infection, then you wouldn't be covered.

If you have lots of time before your cruise, wait until everyone is illness-free for 60 days and then purchase pronto!

We love Travelex...excellent customer service and pay claims promptly.

Jo-Ann

I am considering a policy from TravelEX? Has anyone had any experience with them?

We always buy the Travelex Select. I had a medical problem on a Celebrity cruise and they paid the charges with few questions. We had to do the paperwork, but they were really great and helpful. They have a good reputation and we just booked another cruise and are insuring with them again!

• 1 month later...
I am considering a policy from TravelEX? Has anyone had any experience with them?

Yes...our insurance was thru travelex on a cruise I had to cancel due to my layoff in December 2009. Because my last day on the job was March 2010 they couldn't process my claim until they got my final notice and information from HR. But I have to say they were VERY nice everytime I called! They really worked with me too. They held the claim up til I got the actual verification in March and then processed it very quickly and issued me my money back I lost on my "early" saver rate with Carnival.

I did find another job pretty quickly. I still would not have been able to cruise because I just started in April and my original cruise was scheduled to leave June 22nd. But I have another cruise booked for March 2011 and I took out a policy with Travelex again due to my past experiences with them. I would highly suggest them!

Archived