Luggage OVERBOARD - what to expect in CREDIT ??

It is just me having a bad day or does everyone, with a little compassion, agree with me.

The OP did not ask for a lecture on what should or should not go into his luggage. What he puts in it is none of our business.

If I am reading his post correctly he did not ask for a free cruise or for any extravagant reimsbursements. What he did ask for is advice from the Cruise Critic community on what do expect and when to expect it to happen. He asked for advice on how to go about making a claim not how to pack his luggage.

How hard is it for any of us to give only the advice that is ask for and leave the lecture at home?

Thanks for listening to me.

Really though, if people are reading through the thread, and no one says, "Oh it's crazy to pack electronics in your checked luggage!" maybe lots of new travelers would think it is quite acceptable.

Conversely, if you get lots of people saying "Why did you do that, are you nuts?" people will get the right idea. It's not about a lecture, it's about reminding people to use common sense.

I'm glad the OP's items are working. My son fell into a pool with all his electronics in his pockets. He did get the question, "Why were you running around a pool with $500 worth of electronics in your pockets?" And I thought the question was very appropriate.

Hello

Update (I started this thread )

-overboard - meant into the net and the net nto the water - a complete pallet from what I saw

-all clothes returned after cleaning - you get washable the same day and dry cleanable late on day 2 ( oh - formal night on day two - OK - just don't look at the feet - as shoes came on daye three ( more of a 'girl' thing

-interesting --I garbbed the 'bag' of electronics and an AMAZING amount of stuff seems to be OK ... I guess I had always heard that salt water was death --for example a bluetooth portable keyboard - works -- the new GPS unit we used while traveling the 3 weeks prior in Calif - works ( or works for now ?? ) The apple iPod after a bit of coaching seems OK -- a stiff 'lock button' but got the scrool wheel working well -- another reason I like Apple ?

To those who lectured us - OK ... but wet clothes are still wet clothes ... at least the net saved them or when would have been ... really casual dressers.

I have to start reading the fine print .... naw ... I can not bring myself to read all the lawyer talk.

BTW - the front desk have been extremely good about this and they ahve been able to do what they say and say what they do ....

I just am blown away that more stuff was not destroyed by the salt water ( but maybe time will tell ....

Glad to see so many read and reply. We did have an edge on our table for the most interesting storey to tell on first night...

Day 3 winding down - lets see

Greg

ps - internet is dog slow -- hope RCCL pick up the pace and drop the price --well - one can wish -- sorry for any typo's - every minute is tick - tick ....smile

Your clothes were all dry cleaned and returned to you, and your electronics seem to be working, what, if anything, was actually damaged?

Water is not that bad on electronics that are turned off as long as they can dry out in a reasonable period, it's electronics that are on when they get wet that's bad. The fire suppression system for our data center is actually just to cut the power, wait a few seconds and soak it all with water.

The best thing for the electronics, being in saltwater, would probably have been to rinse them out good in freshwater and then let them dry out (taking out the batteries first).

Hi

Finally made it to land ( two days at sea from San Diego ) -- had to smile when someone else said they saw same thing happen in San Diego ( we also eft from San Diego )

Oh - yeh - we DID TIP the porter - and were one of the first to board the ship - they used us for staff training ??

The make up was somewhat covered thru ship purchase - my wife was pretty fair.

The shoes -we will have to see how they make out - so far they seem OK. But leather & salt water can't be that good.

The biggest point in HINDSIGHT was we left all the electronics with the Customer Desk until I had the idea to google on day three - then I asked for them back -- so I did NOT immediately flush them -- truly impressive that only the #2 camera is for sure toast. They didn't seem to suggest nor did I have the foresight to think ( at that point we were in kind of shock ) - but I will know better (if there is a next time )

There is a Secrets Thread where I will add the limitations issue ... I wonder if I am the only one who looks at 'boiler plate' legal limitations and 'fine print' and well ... just hopes it never happens to us.

Thanks to all - this MB has been most helpful way to get somewhat smarter on cruising

Starbucks is starting to fill up fast with people eager for FASTER wifi ..:-)

Happy Cruising

Greg

Agreeing with those saying to touch base with Guest Services every day, as well as to make a detailed inventory of what items were affected. Have guest services make a few copies for you -- one for them to keep, one for you to keep, and one to have ready to file with your travel insurance -- it can't hurt to ask there. This is not likely something that will reach full resolution by the end of your cruise, but hopefully, it will just be a matter of a few weeks for you.

Greg,

Sorry to hear of your big splash. I am the Mrs. Bandish that the article was written about.

RCCL waited until I was off the ship and back home to send me the 10 page contract. They have a limit of $300.00/per passenger. My electronics were in my husbands backpack. The electronics in my bag were flat iron and such.

Sorry - try to enjoy the cruise. You can fight this when you are home.

Hi

Back home - had a good time all things considered. I meet another couple ( at lunch ) who also had wet bags - they thought they where the only ones ... at least we always had something to talk about at meals :-)

One couple with wet bags also caught the norvo ... that is bad luck.

I am glad I got the camera replaced while on board - for any future credits - well - we have yet to see anything but have it in writing from one and a verbal promise on another. One is Customer service manager letter for 10% on future cruise ( within 1 yr - but have been told I can call to extend 6 additional months ) - the 2nd is to cover some books that when I asked for them back they said they where destroyed = so instead of the $60 total they offered me a credit of $200 (will I see it ? - hard to say )

I watched then UNLOAD some bags -- the master skid holds 3 pallets of bags - the pallets are held on with a chain - I would assume the chain was improperly secured - resulting in ONE PALLET - approx 5 cabins worth of bags to fall into the net - and the net while containing the bags - gets wet.

If this happens to you - get as much credited then and there.

In summary -- at what point should government step in and say that boiler plate limitations seem unfair. They did it on airline over 4 hours sitting on the tarmac - they could do it for consumer protection for events like this ...

Greg

here is a couple of shots -- the stern balcony's are GREAT for laying out three bags to see what happened ... :-) http://community.webshots.com/album/577033790YoQbyF

Oh no, :eek: how terrible! I agree that the reception is probably waiting for feedback from Miami, maybe they are not even going to offer you any compensation during the cruise. I also agree that the cruise line should wash and dry clean all your clothes for free. It is the least they can do, and it is not going to cost them very much as they have their own laundry department.

I seriously doubt that reception is waiting for feedback from Miami. That could have been obtained no later than the next day. I'm more inclined to believe that they are simply waiting for the end of the cruise.

OP, I would urge you to get some written verification from the ship that the incident did indeed take place. You will need this to make any kind of insurance claim. The written verification doesn't have to admit any liability but you will need documentation to pursue the matter with your insurance.

The article is not about the OP (so no iPod or other electronics, necessarily) the article was a reference the OP made about claims. They are currently on a cruise and asking for any information on how RC may handle their situation. We don't know what type of bag of theirs went over.

It's too bad this had to happen and all we can do is hope they get justly reimbursed....or offer any advice (first hand).

Archived