Luggage OVERBOARD - what to expect in CREDIT ??

The OP is on a cruise right now, he is not the person in the linked article but only referring to it. By the comments some posters are making, it seems they think he is the same person.

Again, I repeat: why do we have to lecture when the OP is on board the ship now and needs some help in a hurry? I always wonder why people use someone else's misfortune as an opportunity to lecture them on what they "should have done". It does nothing to solve the problem.
You're right that it does nothing to help THIS OP . . . but judging from the number of people who post about lost or stolen electronics, packing valuables in your carry-on apparently isn't common sense. Hopefully this thread'll make someone else say, "Oh, wow. I think I'd better move the camera, the laptop, and the ipod over to the backpack I'm using as a carry-on."

It also seems that every time I read these boards, I find more and more evidence that it's wise to pack lightly and manage your own luggage.

Does RCL not use a net? I have been on other cruise lines and I've seen bags fall onto a catch net. I have never seen any end up in the water.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. In Red Hook, Brooklyn, the Princess port in NY, there was a similar incident involving one whole pallet of suitcases that fell into the water as it was being loaded unto the Crown Princess that a number of people witnessed. Princess took full responsibility in making sure that all the clothing was dry cleaned before it was returned to the affected passengers. Not known if there was any electronics that were damaged in that situation.

Hopefully, RCL at least cleaned all the clothing at no cost to the passenger.

MARAPRINCE

Again, I repeat: why do we have to lecture when the OP is on board the ship now and needs some help in a hurry? I always wonder why people use someone else's misfortune as an opportunity to lecture them on what they "should have done". It does nothing to solve the problem.

I agree! So sorry that your luggage went overboard...

I was on the cruise with the couple in that article. They definitely were not happy with the outcome and the limitations that were given to them. Hopefully she will get on here and let you know what ended up happening but I know she missed our M&M dealing with all the mess. Her medications were in the bag.

A little off topic here, but I'm beginning to wonder about the baggage handlers at the port in San Diego. A friend of mine was on the Radiance last month and she said they dropped about 30 pieces of luggage in the water on her embarkation day. And I seem to recall another similar incident a while back, also at the port of San Diego.

I am sailing out of SD next month and since it's a short cruise I might have a smaller rolling suitcase and I'm seriously thinking about walking it on myself. I don't care if I have to keep track of it until the cabins are open.....at least it will be DRY.

Dropping bags into the sea seems to be becoming a habit in San Diego. About 6 peoples bags were dropped on the February 22nd sailing. RCI did replace any necessary items that were needed before we set sail. They also washed, dry cleaned all clothing.

Really makes me want to carry on my own bags from now on.

Is it possible to carry the luggage on?

I recognize that this is EXTREMELY inconvenient, but I'd prefer to do that than have someone else let it fall overboard.

I've done it, and it's not even inconvenient. But you must be a light packer.

I wasn't insinuating anyone on this thread was "screaming" at the OP, but just trying to point out that someone who is currently on their cruise, does not have the time to read through all the preachy posts to get to the helpful advise.

Threads where someone actually asks for advice on where to pack their electronics is where the soapboxes and podiums belong, not one where the person is pretty desperate for help.

I just want to say we should be a little more thoughtful about our answers and make them appropriate to the situation. There is plenty of board space and time to lecture later (and before, since it's been said on many, many previous threads).

What she said. Couldn't put it better myself.

I wasn't insinuating anyone on this thread was "screaming" at the OP, but just trying to point out that someone who is currently on their cruise, does not have the time to read through all the preachy posts to get to the helpful advise.

Threads where someone actually asks for advice on where to pack their electronics is where the soapboxes and podiums belong, not one where the person is pretty desperate for help.

I just want to say we should be a little more thoughtful about our answers and make them appropriate to the situation. There is plenty of board space and time to lecture later (and before, since it's been said on many, many previous threads).

How do you know how much time/desire the OP has for reading posts? Mind reader?

Today's a sea day for them, for all you know the OP is looking for things to do. They obviously had enough time to make the original post and to do google searches.

On the other hand, perhaps they are really busy and don't even plan on logging on again until they get home and can read all the posts at their leisure.

Hello

Update (I started this thread )

-overboard - meant into the net and the net nto the water - a complete pallet from what I saw

-all clothes returned after cleaning - you get washable the same day and dry cleanable late on day 2 ( oh - formal night on day two - OK - just don't look at the feet - as shoes came on daye three ( more of a 'girl' thing

-interesting --I garbbed the 'bag' of electronics and an AMAZING amount of stuff seems to be OK ... I guess I had always heard that salt water was death --for example a bluetooth portable keyboard - works -- the new GPS unit we used while traveling the 3 weeks prior in Calif - works ( or works for now ?? ) The apple iPod after a bit of coaching seems OK -- a stiff 'lock button' but got the scrool wheel working well -- another reason I like Apple ?

To those who lectured us - OK ... but wet clothes are still wet clothes ... at least the net saved them or when would have been ... really casual dressers.

I have to start reading the fine print .... naw ... I can not bring myself to read all the lawyer talk.

BTW - the front desk have been extremely good about this and they ahve been able to do what they say and say what they do ....

I just am blown away that more stuff was not destroyed by the salt water ( but maybe time will tell ....

Glad to see so many read and reply. We did have an edge on our table for the most interesting storey to tell on first night...

Day 3 winding down - lets see

Greg

ps - internet is dog slow -- hope RCCL pick up the pace and drop the price --well - one can wish -- sorry for any typo's - every minute is tick - tick ....smile

Hello

Update (I started this thread )

-overboard - meant into the net and the net nto the water - a complete pallet from what I saw

-all clothes returned after cleaning - you get washable the same day and dry cleanable late on day 2 ( oh - formal night on day two - OK - just don't look at the feet - as shoes came on daye three ( more of a 'girl' thing

-interesting --I garbbed the 'bag' of electronics and an AMAZING amount of stuff seems to be OK ... I guess I had always heard that salt water was death --for example a bluetooth portable keyboard - works -- the new GPS unit we used while traveling the 3 weeks prior in Calif - works ( or works for now ?? ) The apple iPod after a bit of coaching seems OK -- a stiff 'lock button' but got the scrool wheel working well -- another reason I like Apple ?

To those who lectured us - OK ... but wet clothes are still wet clothes ... at least the net saved them or when would have been ... really casual dressers.

I have to start reading the fine print .... naw ... I can not bring myself to read all the lawyer talk.

BTW - the front desk have been extremely good about this and they ahve been able to do what they say and say what they do ....

I just am blown away that more stuff was not destroyed by the salt water ( but maybe time will tell ....

Glad to see so many read and reply. We did have an edge on our table for the most interesting storey to tell on first night...

Day 3 winding down - lets see

Greg

ps - internet is dog slow -- hope RCCL pick up the pace and drop the price --well - one can wish -- sorry for any typo's - every minute is tick - tick ....smile

Thanks for updating us, Greg! We appreciate your time and internet $$$ !

In the recent past, RC has told passengers that their liability is limited to $300 per suitcase.

quote]

Did not realize this. I don't pack electronics in my suitcase but the value of my clothing, shoes and cosmetics FAR exceeds $300.

Archived