Luggage OVERBOARD - what to expect in CREDIT ??

Hi

I am presently on day THREE of 7 day Mex Riv Crusie on Radiance ... we are one of 4 or 5 cabins that had their luggage fall OVERBOARD and get completely wet.

I see this url >>> http://www.consumertraveler.com/columns/royal-splash-–-luggage-goes-overboard/comment-page-1/

But I cant find much else especially trying to search cruiscritic claims we have submitted -- so I was a bit surprised to see in the above thread they limited claims - but the customer relations desk has given us NO INDICATION of any limitation.

Any other links might be appreciated.

Between iPod - camera - external hard drive- external keyboard - various other items ... hmm ...

Greg

Hi

I am presently on day THREE of 7 day Mex Riv Crusie on Radiance ... we are one of 4 or 5 cabins that had their luggage fall OVERBOARD and get completely wet.

I see this url >>> http://www.consumertraveler.com/columns/royal-splash-–-luggage-goes-overboard/comment-page-1/

But I cant find much else especially trying to search cruiscritic claims we have submitted -- so I was a bit surprised to see in the above thread they limited claims - but the customer relations desk has given us NO INDICATION of any limitation.

Between iPod - camera - external hard drive- external keyboard - various other items ... hmm ...

Greg

Why was the iPod, camera, etc. in your luggage and not with your carry-on?

OK, I'm not going to lecture you on what you should have done with your electronics.

First of all, the Customer Service Desk is waiting for Miami to tell them what to do. They are probably trying to figure out who is liable: the cruise line or the porters at the dock. Keep checking with Customer Service throughout the cruise.

Make a list of what was in your suitcase to the best of your memory. I had a trailer full of household goods stolen, and this isn't easy. Make sure that whatever claim you put through, that you have an additional time after that if you remember additional items.

Check your credit card and home/condo insurance, as they frequently cover stolen or damaged items.

If you had travel insurance, that will cover also.

So, RCCL, home or condo, credit card, travel insurance. Those are your options from my point of view, and the replacement cost may be from a combination of these.

Hi

Greg

Just read the article. Really it was a big mistake on your part to hand over a bag with those items...you knew better and didn't with the airline...why would you do so at the cruise port? I have seen far worse handling of bags by the port than I have at the airport...I don't want them messing with anything they could break on me.

Unfortunatley I think some of the loss gets chalked up to a mistake on your part. That said, It seems that RCCL could offer a bit more to help replace the bag at a minimum since salt water does wonders on things... RCCL could then go back against the ship stevadoring service if it was their careless handling of the bags that put them in the drink.

Sad lesson to learn.

In my own experience with a lost bag (Airline was 100% at fault) when we reported it to RCCL on board so their port person could ensure it was picked up from the airline as it was slated in on a flight to arrive before the ship sailed, they bent over backwards to ensure we got our bag and that anything we were missing at that moment would not cause any problems while we waited for the bag. Free cleaning and a couple of t-shirts ahead in the deal by the time it was all over...the airline and the airport coordinator for RCCL connected and ensured we had the bag as we sailed away.

Again, I repeat: why do we have to lecture when the OP is on board the ship now and needs some help in a hurry? I always wonder why people use someone else's misfortune as an opportunity to lecture them on what they "should have done". It does nothing to solve the problem.

Yep...I agree, no lecturing.....the deal is done......Keep up with the Guest Relations Person on the ship and make sure you need closure. I take it you did get everything but.....it was wet/ruined. It will be very easy to inventory so the compensation should not be a big deal.

Clothes......Did they clean everything for you.....I am sure they could since there are a few dozen crew that do that for their living. I only see money coming to you for the Non Clothing item, the Suitcase and some extra Money....So Sorry this happened...... ....And ask for some compensation Future Cruise Money and let Miami know if they do this, Everyone in the CC world will know what a GREAT Cruise line RCCL has.......Maybe your next cruise will be very inexpensive.

Good luck and report back...

Mike

Again, I repeat: why do we have to lecture when the OP is on board the ship now and needs some help in a hurry? I always wonder why people use someone else's misfortune as an opportunity to lecture them on what they "should have done". It does nothing to solve the problem.

You're right, it doesn't do anything for the OP, but it MIGHT click on a light for a future traveller the risks of packing valuables in their checked luggage.

After all, isn't that why we're here, to inform and educate? :)

It does nothing to solve the problem.

Perhaps not for the OP, but others do read these threads and some may have learned on what NOT to do with electronics or any expensive items when you are trusting others to handle the luggage.

Expensive electronics and jewelry, important papers - not a good idea in checked in luggage. Carry on only or leave it at home. Theft is rampant at the airports and accidents do happen at the cruise terminals when thousands of suitcases have to be loaded in just few hours.

Some offered advice on what can happen next while others are just stating the obvious for any future traveler. Nothing wrong with little "preaching" on threads like this.

Yep...I agree, no lecturing.....the deal is done......Keep up with the Guest Relations Person on the ship and make sure you need closure. I take it you did get everything but.....it was wet/ruined. It will be very easy to inventory so the compensation should not be a big deal.

Clothes......Did they clean everything for you.....I am sure they could since there are a few dozen crew that do that for their living. I only see money coming to you for the Non Clothing item, the Suitcase and some extra Money....So Sorry this happened...... ....And ask for some compensation Future Cruise Money and let Miami know if they do this, Everyone in the CC world will know what a GREAT Cruise line RCCL has.......Maybe your next cruise will be very inexpensive.

Good luck and report back...

Mike

Good points, Mike. I dumbly assumed they didn't get the luggage back. If there were any delicate fabrics in there, they will be ruined. Salt water ain't nice to some fabrics!

I had a problem with two cruises in the last 5 years, and they gave me $500 credits toward a future cruise both times. I would imagine they might do that for the non-reimbursable items. But, that is only if RCCL considers themselves responsible for the damage. I'm concerned they are going to put this on the port staff.

I hope it works out. Losing your stuff is hard enough without the headaches of trying to get reimbursed. Our trailer full of household goods was over $13,000, and State Farm had our money to us within a week after I submitted the itemized list (but it took me a while to find receipts, pictures, and online ads with the current price).

In the recent past, RC has told passengers that their liability is limited to $300 per suitcase. The passenger takes an extraordinary risk when placing electronics in a checked bag, whether the potential risk is theft, loss or damage. Such items are often excluded from compensation.

I agree that the ship is waiting for instructions from Miami. In matters financial, that is the usual chain of command.

Greg, have they given you any clothes, or did you all have enough things in other bags that DID NOT go overboard? If the items are already recovered and cleaned, did they pick up the tab for the cleaning? What else have they done for you up to this point?

How are they handling this so far?

How is an ipod getting wet and destroyed any fault of the OP? Are you guys for real here? I would imagine it'll all get taken care of by RCI in the end. Then, they'll probably get restitution from whomever employs the baggage handlers.

I totally agree with pcur! The OP signs into Cruise Critic for some advice and gets criticized

for putting things where you say he shouldn't!! Unbelievable!Try showing some compassion! Greggh that was an awful thing to happen but i hope it doesn't spoil your holiday.

Oh no, :eek: how terrible! I agree that the reception is probably waiting for feedback from Miami, maybe they are not even going to offer you any compensation during the cruise. I also agree that the cruise line should wash and dry clean all your clothes for free. It is the least they can do, and it is not going to cost them very much as they have their own laundry department.

How is an ipod getting wet and destroyed any fault of the OP? Are you guys for real here? I would imagine it'll all get taken care of by RCI in the end. Then, they'll probably get restitution from whomever employs the baggage handlers.

I totally agree with pcur! The OP signs into Cruise Critic for some advice and gets criticized

for putting things where you say he shouldn't!! Unbelievable!Try showing some compassion! Greggh that was an awful thing to happen but i hope it doesn't spoil your holiday.

Perhaps not for the OP, but others do read these threads and some may have learned on what NOT to do with electronics or any expensive items when you are trusting others to handle the luggage.

Expensive electronics and jewelry, important papers - not a good idea in checked in luggage. Carry on only or leave it at home. Theft is rampant at the airports and accidents do happen at the cruise terminals when thousands of suitcases have to be loaded in just few hours.

Some offered advice on what can happen next while others are just stating the obvious for any future traveler. Nothing wrong with little "preaching" on threads like this.

As andrzej wrote, others who read this thread may learn that it is a terrible idea to let important and valuable things like jewelry & electronics out of your personal possession.

There was no massive "screaming" at the OP, just statements that it was a bad idea in the first place, in case anyone else reading this thread, now or in the future, will read that advice.

No one should ever check a bag containing electronics, prescriptions or anything they can not do without, whether they are boarding a plane, train, bus or rickshaw.

The article the OP quotes talks about a person who had checked their expensive prescriptions and then had problems with their allergies. Common sense goes a long way, you can not check that stuff. Yes, the large mail away prescription bottles are a pain to carry and take up a lot of room but many of us carry them along with other important things like nebulizers and cpap machines.

Tough lesson learned.

OK, I'm not going to lecture you on what you should have done with your electronics.

First of all, the Customer Service Desk is waiting for Miami to tell them what to do. They are probably trying to figure out who is liable: the cruise line or the porters at the dock. Keep checking with Customer Service throughout the cruise.

Make a list of what was in your suitcase to the best of your memory. I had a trailer full of household goods stolen, and this isn't easy. Make sure that whatever claim you put through, that you have an additional time after that if you remember additional items.

Check your credit card and home/condo insurance, as they frequently cover stolen or damaged items.

If you had travel insurance, that will cover also.

So, RCCL, home or condo, credit card, travel insurance. Those are your options from my point of view, and the replacement cost may be from a combination of these.

Greg, this is very important advice that may have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Homeowner's insurance often covers this sort of loss.

Hi

Greg

Perhaps they assume you read the cruise contract before you signed it.

Greg, this is very important advice that may have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Homeowner's insurance often covers this sort of loss.

As this truly was no fault of the OP I am sure that he would be better off not using his home owners insurance or only as a last resort. Usually there is a hefty deductible and I don't know about the US but here in Ontario your rates tend to soar after only one claim.

How is an ipod getting wet and destroyed any fault of the OP?

Nobody said it was OPs fault, but a little precaution goes a long way in making sure the iPod won't get wet.

When I come to a 4 way stop intersection and even if I have the right away, I pay attention to what the other driver(s) are doing. I've learned my lesson long time ago when a nurse in a hurry to get to work didn't want to play the right away game and decided to step on the accelerator and slammed me on the side causing about $2K worth of damage. Her insurance paid and the car was fixed but was it worth all the time I had to spend going for estimates, getting after the insurance, finding a good body shop, having a rental for a week? No it wasn't, so what I learned since, that sometimes a little precaution saves you a lot of headaches even though you were in the right.

That's what most are saying.

It's not the fault of the OP that an ipod got wet and destroyed, what is the fault, or at least responsibility, of the OP is in putting it in checked luggage in the first place. All airlines and cruiselines are explicit in recommending that you not put electronics in checked luggage, and in stating that they won't be responsible for loss/damage if you do.

Assume you've looked at your cruise contract, below is the fine print for our upcoming Liberty cruise. Photographic equipment is specifically excluded from coverage. However, if you remain resolute & polite, you may be able to work angles as people have suggested, to make your unfortunate situation a bit less bitter, such as cleaning services or clothing allowance in ship's shops (if you don't mind being over-logo'd). Keep notes of dates and substance of all communication with RC reps; may come in handy later. Section 11 of the contract gets RC off the hook for any ". . . emotional distress, mental suffering or psychological injury . . . " so forget about claiming that! Hope this helps a little. Bummer there was so much preaching in this thread, hate to think what the responses would have been, had you indicated that the cardboard box for your smuggled box wine got soggy!!!:p

3. BAGGAGE, PROPERTY AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY:

a. Baggage Limits and Prohibited Items. Each adult Passenger is permitted to carry onboard the Vessel or check-in only the wearing apparel and personal effects reasonably necessary for the cruise, including suitcases, trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers containing clothing, toiletries and similar items. In no event shall any Passenger bring on board the Vessel or check-in, or in connection with the RCT Land Tour, any illegal controlled substances, fireworks, live animals (except under the terms of Section 12.d below), weapons, firearms, explosives or other hazardous materials, or any other items prohibited by applicable law or Carrier policy. Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate.

b. Liability for Loss of or Damage to Baggage. Unless negligent, Carrier is neither responsible nor liable for any loss of or damage to Passenger's property, whether contained in luggage or otherwise. Liability for loss of or damage to Passenger's property in connection with any air or ground transportation shall be the sole responsibility of the provider of the service and in accordance with applicable limitations.

c. Limitation of Liability for Lost or Damaged Property. Notwithstanding any other provision of law or this Agreement, Carrier's liability for loss or damage to property during the RCT Land Tour portion of a CruiseTour is limited to $300.00 per Passenger. Notwithstanding any other provision of law or this Agreement, Carrier's liability for loss or damage to property for the cruise (or for the cruise only portion of a CruiseTour) is limited to $300.00 per Passenger, unless Passenger declares the true value of such property in writing and pays Carrier within 10 days of final payment for the cruise, a fee of five percent (5%) of the amount that such value exceeds $300.00. In such event, Carrier's liability shall be limited to its true declared value, but not exceeding $5,000.

d. Limited Carriage. Carrier does not undertake to carry as baggage any tools of trade, household goods, fragile or valuable items, precious metals, jewelry, documents, negotiable instruments or other valuables, including but not limited to those specified in Title 46 of the United States Code, Appendix Section 181. Each Passenger warrants that no such item will be presented to Carrier within any receptacle or container as baggage, and hereby releases Carrier from any liability whatsoever for loss of or damage to such items when presented to Carrier in breach of this warranty. In no event shall Carrier be liable for normal wear or tear of luggage or property, or loss of or damage to jewelry, cash, negotiable paper, photographic/electronic, medical or recreational equipment, dental hardware, eyewear, medications or other valuables unless they are deposited with Carrier on the Vessel for safekeeping against receipt (RCT does not accept valuables for deposit). Carrier's liability, if any, for loss of or damage to valuables so deposited shall not exceed the amounts indicated in Section 3.c above.

I wasn't insinuating anyone on this thread was "screaming" at the OP, but just trying to point out that someone who is currently on their cruise, does not have the time to read through all the preachy posts to get to the helpful advise.

Threads where someone actually asks for advice on where to pack their electronics is where the soapboxes and podiums belong, not one where the person is pretty desperate for help.

I just want to say we should be a little more thoughtful about our answers and make them appropriate to the situation. There is plenty of board space and time to lecture later (and before, since it's been said on many, many previous threads).

Archived