Cunard announces QM2 Australian circumnavigation

Carnival Australia has just announced that Cunard's Queen Mary 2 will make Australia her "home away from home" in 2012 with a world first 'Royal Circumnavigation' to depart from Sydney on 14 Feb 2012.

The voyage will see QM2 return to Sydney, Fremantle, Adelaide and the Whitsundays, as well as making maiden calls at Cairns, Melbourne, Darwin and Brisbane.

Fares for the voyage will be available ex Sydney, Fremantle and Adelaide, with Carnival Australia ceo Ann Sherry saying that it will deliver an "economic windfall" for Australia.

More information in today's Travel Daily and tomorrow's Cruise Weekly.

:)

Breaking news 1047am Cruise Weekly.

Michael

I am surprised that she is visiting Brisbane as the last time Cunard had one of its ships (I think was QM2) in Brisbane it was raining and the passengers got wet disembarking at Fishermans Island - they had tents set up. Cunard said they wouldn't visit Brisbane again. I wonder if the Govt offered them some sort of sweetener to come again!

Good to see QM2 finally coming to Melbourne. This is a direct product of the very controversial dredging of Port Phillip Bay including blasting at the Heads to enable vessels greater than 130K tonnes to pass through.

Brad

Just a update it says in the herald sun that qm2 well be in melb next year.not 2012

And you believe the Hun?

I expect 2012 will be when it visits Melbourne. It has had its 2011 season open for some time, with some segments very well booked so I can't see them cancelling existing itineraries and bookings.

OTOH 2012 matches their general release calendar and also means existing bookings aren't affected. Still, a simpler rule is when in doubt, trust News Ltd to get it wrong.

Just to let you know it was QV (queen victoria) not QM2 that was the last Cunard ship in Brisbane in 2008.

Thank you for that, as I said I wasn't certain, but it was still a Cunard ship, and they did say they would never come back to Brisbane. It is a big windfall for Brisbane getting the QM2 even though they will have to dock at Fishermans Island.

I hope Brisbane can learn from its mistakes of building a cruise terminal on the city side of the Gateway bridge, and prehaps look to build one the other side. As the way cruising is getting popular, Brisbane could prehaps attract one of the bigger ships to use Brisbane as a departure port.

Thank you for that, as I said I wasn't certain, but it was still a Cunard ship, and they did say they would never come back to Brisbane. It is a big windfall for Brisbane getting the QM2 even though they will have to dock at Fishermans Island.

I hope Brisbane can learn from its mistakes of building a cruise terminal on the city side of the Gateway bridge, and prehaps look to build one the other side. As the way cruising is getting popular, Brisbane could prehaps attract one of the bigger ships to use Brisbane as a departure port.

Compared to lots of ports of call overseas, Fishermans Island is not that far from Brisbane CBD, the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast (via the Gateway). Maybe all it needs is improved facilities there, or near there, for the larger passenger ships.

Compared to lots of ports of call overseas, Fishermans Island is not that far from Brisbane CBD, the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast (via the Gateway). Maybe all it needs is improved facilities there, or near there, for the larger passenger ships.

There is nothing wrong with the excellent facility at Fishermans Island now.

The new terminal there would have to rank amongst one of the best I have seen anywhere in the world in relation for giving busses and passengers heaps of room to operate in.

It may be a bit far out, but as MM says, compared to some in the world, no problem.

All they need is an efficient shuttle system into Brisbane, which they do seem to have now, and has improved out of sight since the first time we called there.

Just a update it says in the herald sun that qm2 well be in melb next year.not 2012

And you believe the Hun?

I expect 2012 will be when it visits Melbourne. It has had its 2011 season open for some time, with some segments very well booked so I can't see them cancelling existing itineraries and bookings.

OTOH 2012 matches their general release calendar and also means existing bookings aren't affected. Still, a simpler rule is when in doubt, trust News Ltd to get it wrong.

Melbourne will however have a visit by the soon to be launched Queen Elizabeth on Friday 25th February 2011.

The Queen Mary 2 will be back in Australia in 2011, but again she will bypass Melbourne.

Australia has been chosen as

the Southern Hemisphere

home for the Queen Mary 2,

which will offer its first-ever

cruise around the country in

CUNARD LINES WORLD-FAMOUS QUEEN MARY 2

will grace Australian waters for a record 28

days in 2012 – the longest time spent in one

country outside her home-ports in the UK

and US.

The ocean liner is extending her season

here with a ‘Royal Circumnavigation of