Oceanview versus Oceanview obstructed

mercede70

I just looked at booking on the Emerald and they have an oceanview (OV) (EE) and an oceanview obstructed (OVO) (GG or G) available. The price difference is about $200.00 total for the trip for two. I know this is more of a subjective post, but is the unobstructed view completely obstructed, making the room feel like an inside cabin? I would love the natural light coming in, but the $200.00 savings is a lot. I had an un-obstructed view on a RC cruise last year, but the window was over the bed and the only way you could really enjoy the view was to kneel on the pillows near the headboard and look out..... has anyone been inside both cabins that could give me the info to make the proper booking?

Thanks!

I just looked at booking on the Emerald and they have an oceanview (OV) (EE) and an oceanview obstructed (OVO) (GG or G) available. The price difference is about $200.00 total for the trip for two. I know this is more of a subjective post, but is the unobstructed view completely obstructed, making the room feel like an inside cabin? I would love the natural light coming in, but the $200.00 savings is a lot. I had an un-obstructed view on a RC cruise last year, but the window was over the bed and the only way you could really enjoy the view was to kneel on the pillows near the headboard and look out..... has anyone been inside both cabins that could give me the info to make the proper booking?

Thanks!

The GG still gets day light but it will probably be strangely coloured since there is a lifeboat filling the window. I quite often book a GG on GTY and find that when I do there is a good chance I then get upgraded to at least a partially obstructed FF which gives a more natural colour light and also something of a view (if you kneel on the pillows etc) :)

You will still get some day light. However, most of the view will be blocked by a lifeboat. Lifeboat will also block some light; therefore the obstructed view rooms won't be as bright as the regular oceanview rooms.

Just to let you know, some of the oceanview unobstructed rooms are still somewhat obstructed and darker than the partially obs. oceanview rooms. We had a stateroom on the CB on the Emerald Deck. This cabin was in the 100 range and out the window was the promenade deck as it wraps around the bow of the ship. This was actually more obstructed than I have had in partially obs. cabins as there is the overhang and there is a solid metal side of the ship (the railing) that goes around that area of the Promenade deck. The window was mirrored from the outside so people walking around couldn't easily see in, but that also darkens the light coming into the room. As well, if you we sitting on the bed watching TV with the curtains open, you could see the people walking by in the mirror over the desk.

We had booked an EE, unobstructed ocean view, and then were very sorry about that because of the location of those cabins. We were assigned a cabin very far forward and would have much preferred an obstructed ocean view more midship even though that fare was less and we had paid the higher price for the unobstructed ocean view. We were very fortunate to have been upgraded to a balcony cabin on our arrival at the pier..but to tell you the truth I would not choose that cabin category again. So my advise, whatever it may mean to you, is to choose "Location".

I am booked in a category F cabin (completely obstructed view), and there is absolutely no obstruction -- so we saved hundreds of dollars by going with a "completely obstructed view" that really has absolutely no obstruction.

Do your research, and you will find cabins like that.

Thanks so much for the information, I booked the GG for less money after reading the responses, so thanks for the information.

The TA told me that I won't know the cabin number until 1 week prior to boarding, possibly even up to check-in at the pier. How did you find out which cabin had been assigned to you?

Thanks so much for the information, I booked the GG for less money after reading the responses, so thanks for the information.

The TA told me that I won't know the cabin number until 1 week prior to boarding, possibly even up to check-in at the pier. How did you find out which cabin had been assigned to you?

I requested my own cabin number because I knew there was no obstruction in that room.

The number appears in your personalizer on Princess.com and also your TA will be told. Hopefully the TA will email you with the delightful title "You have been upgraded" (even if it is just to an F). I have received a cabin number anytime from 3 months out up to check in

We booked a Cat. G guarantee for our past two cruises. In November, we received a Cat. F. Next week we will be in a Cat. FF. It's just a little closer to the middle of the ship than we were on our last cruise.

I love the convenience of being on the Emerald Deck. When we were on the Star Princess in Alaska with an obstructed view, we could see enough to know when there was something worth looking at. And we would grab our binoculars and go downstairs to the Promenade Deck.

Princess ships have the lifeboats hanging half-way between the promenade deck and the deck above - the deck above is where the obstructed view cabins. The deck plan is very accurate. If you can get a specific cabin based on the deck plan, by all means book the obstructed view to save money.

The rooms behind the small lifeboats at the location of the front to center of the lifeboats are only obstructed for the lower 1/4 of the window, with full width of window view ABOVE the top of the lifeboat.

The rooms between the 2 small lifeboats have a narrow view because both sides are blocked by lifeboat, particular the tail of lifeboat which is HIGHER than the front. There is also a working platform in front of you. But you still have actual view of ocean.

The rooms behind the BIG lifeboat - these are FULLY obstructed and all you can see is the orange boat. I would book an inside any day over this type of obstructed view.

We had an obstructed view at Forward on Crown this past Feb. It was behind the small lifeboat in the middle section. Only the bottom 1/4 of the window was obstructed. Crown has the identical deck plan as Emerald, Ruby and Caribbean.

We always book obstructed view if we can choose our cabins and have found this is the best value. Unlike others, we really dont care for sitting out on the balcony. DH counted on the East Caribbean cruise we had a balcony (and got a upgrade to Caribe deck? with the half-covered half-open balcony), we spent a grand total of 20 minutes on the balcony during the WHOLE cruise. It was very hot, and in particular, we do not like the salt deposits on the deck chairs. Even though the cabin attendant wiped the furniture clean daily in the morning, the salt still find its way there and making the surface sticky. I am not fond of the job to clean the furniture every time we want to sit down. And it is simply way too hot to stay outside.

Actually, the cabin could be assigned anytime from now until you reach the pier (the latter being a rare occurance).

If you check the personalizer on a regular basis, you may find out what the assignment is before the travel agent contacts you.

Riddle,

I did check and the front of a large tender is in front of the window on E511. I called Princess and was LUCKY enough to have the agent there allow me to choose one of the other remaining rooms. I called back two other times to see if a few other choices were available and both of the subsequent agents told me that since I booked through a TA they couldn't touch my resi, even though one of their agents had just done so. He gave me the pick of the remaining rooms and told me that the room I chose had a small boat in front that I would be able to see over. :)

Mercede70 - Have a look at my flickr site of obstructed view cabins on the Crown to give you some examples of the amount of light and the views.

I get "private page" when I try this link. We have E416 and are hoping it's not obstructed.

I get "private page" when I try this link. We have E416 and are hoping it's not obstructed.

Fixed I hope! You will need to use the deck plan to match equivalent cabin positions. E416 has no suprises it is very similar to E415

One advantage to the partially obstructed view cabins: they are on a higher deck than most unobstructed view cabins. We just sailed on the Golden, and were in Plaza 315. The sea was a bit rough, crossing the Pacific, and the cabin was very noisy, with creaks and groans as the ship responded to the stress. Everyone complained about the noise on our deck. I really didn't mind. I just told myself that it was whale sounds, and, sure enough, we saw lots of whales through our almost water-level window. We always book guarantee cabins, and we are almost always upgraded. I've never had a bad cabin on Princess!:D

Archived