Anyone on the West Coast noticing higher than normal airfares to FL for June?

tiffnco

I'm just curious if I'm alone in this phenomenon. I keep looking to book my air for my June Solstice cruise and man, the flights are almost $600/person. I was even willing to compromise and fly r/t Miami (which I dislike GREATLY) and even that was high. Oh, and I'm flying from LAX.

The April tickets are $200/person - so I'm waiting a little longer. But I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the high fares. I know it's summer...but I'm hoping for a break!

RT from Detroit to FLL is just the opposite. Ipriced out June 20th departure before purchasing an August departure and both prices were the same. These prices @ $200 pp are 1/2 of what we paid to fly in February.

I checked in Nov. for a trip in March and/or June (third week in June) airfare to Florida was in the 400 + range for both dates. I even tried using airmiles and it was 40,000 for flights. I had to book a cruise out of San Diego for the end of March as it was the only cruiseport I could fly to for either 25,000 miles or under 250pp. This is out of Seattle and not LAX but the point is I too noticed the higher prices.

Thanks for all the advice. My dates are 6/19 - 6/27 and believe me, I've been searching all the airlines. JetBlue ($500+), Virgin ($670), and all the others seem to be so high. In comparison, I just booked a trip for May from LAX to the Bahamas and my flight was $400.

I fly a lot for work and would love to stick with AA or Alaska - but I may just have to follow the fare on this one. Today I received a flight alert that Spirit Airlines has a $108 o/w fare...but upon reading the fine print, my dates are excluded.

While I'd love to stick with my home airport (SNA) and fly to FLL, I've given in to the fact that I may just have to do LAX - MIA. UGH. I hate the MIA airport - but that's a whole other topic! :o

Our flights from Detroit to Orlando the first weekend in July was significantly more that we paid for a flight from Detroit to LAX in February. And, we went 1st class than but not this trip.

Our newspaper said that Delta has raised their prices on shorter flights in Detroit and Minneapolis.

Have you considered flying to Palm Beach (PBI)? It's not a direct fly, and the transfer to port would be more expensive, but it may be worth considering. I was planning a trip in May and business class airfare was about $600 rountrip, versus $1,400 flying to FLL.

I don't know why - must be a huge travel day. Many flights are already showing as "Sold out." If you are willing to spend two wonderful days in Florida post-cruise, SW has return flights on Tuesday the 29th for $104.00

We booked our airfare around 4 weeks ago and got $260.00 from SoCal. I kept checking on Orbitz and found a steal. It's into Miami and back from FLL.

Oh man...that's a great rate. What dates are you going and what airline did you get?

If you fly a lot for work, do you have frequent flier miles? We had enough Alaska airline miles to fly Delta from SFO to Ft. Lauderdale for $70 total, round trip for both of us.

While flying round trip for $70 is a wonderful price, I think it's criminal that Delta is charging to redeem frequent flier miles. Sorry for the hijack, OP.

Sorry for the hijack, OP.

No worries!

Anyway, I'm saving my miles for 2 first class tickets anywhere in the world. I'd rather pay for my domestic tickets and earn the miles. I'm odd that way! :rolleyes:

Although, if the fares stay at this price, I might change my song!

My suggestion to you is to check 3 or 4 times a day. You would be surprised at the number of times the airlines change their prices. Sometimes the price is only on line for a few hours. Another thing that you can do is check one way fares. I recently bought tickets to Seattle and got not only the times to fly that I wanted but also the lowest prices that were posted. I bought one way tickets. It doesn't cost any more to buy one way like it used to.

Apologies to OP, but may I ask a question on your thread...

What can anyone tell me about AirTran? They are now flying from Las Vegas, and I've never heard of them.... any input would be appreciated!

Archived