Florence 1-day trip

txd

We are planning to stay for four days before the cruise in Rome.

I am looking for any recommendations how to plan 1-day trip to Florence. Is it possible to do it in one day? How far is a walk between a train station and Uffizi galleries?

Thanks,

TD

It is about 10 minutes to the Duomo and another 7 or 8 minutes to the Uffizi.

the train trip is 1:35 each way.

You definitely want to reserve tickets in advance at the Uffizi. Reservations are required for the trains, also.

You can do anything in one day :-)

Florence is very walkable. Uffizzi is just a few blocks away.

The Pitti Gardens is a little walk away.

You should seriously consider pre ordering your Uffizi tix before hand. We didn't and the wait was abt 40 minutes at 9:30 AM. It wasn't a big deal for us.... afterall, I figured if we wait that long for a 3 minute ride in an amusement park...I can certainly do that for the best art in the world. Download the Rick Steves podcast for the Uffizzi... and lots others.

When I want to do somethikng in one day, I usually go to tour sites & see what they offer in their 4, 6 & 8 hour tours & decide from there.

While reservations are required for the trains between Rome and Florence, they can be made minutes in advance, there's no need to buy them far in advance. Since you'll be in Rome for a few days, you can buy them any time - any travel agent with the Trenitalia logo in their window can do it for you (with no additional fee). If you happen to be near a train station, you could buy them yourselves using the touch screen machines (in English, easy to follow).

Trains between Rome and Florence are frequent, even the new high speed Frecciargento and Frecciarossa. On weekday mornings, there are high speed trains at 6:15, 7:15, 7:45, 8:05, 8:15 and 8:40. These trains cost 62 Euros in first class and 44 in second class. In my opinion, second class is just fine, especially for such a short trip.

There are also slower, lower cost regional and IC trains. Time really does equal money on the Italian trains; these trains take twice as long (or more), but cost half as much (or less).

The historic center of Florence is fairly compact, and the train station is right in it, so it's an easy day trip from Rome. If you want to visit the Uffizi or the Academia, do as the previous posters have recommended and make reservations in advance.

If you are interested in climbing up Brunelleschi's dome (something I consider a "must see" in Florence), I would advise doing that first thing in the morning, when the lines are shortest, the temperature coolest, and your legs are freshest.

There is alot to see and do in Florence depending on your interests. We spent 3 days there in November and still didn't do everything that we wanted.

You might consider an overnight stay in Florence to max your touring time there. Leave Rome in the evening and return late the next evening. The train stations have storage rooms where you can leave your bags overnight safely at a reasonable cost, if your hotel won't hold them for you, so you don't have to schlepp all of your luggage around. Hotels in Florence are less expensive than Rome, if you aren't too fussy for 1 night, and you could pay for the side trip in what you save. We stayed at the Hotel Belletini, about a 10 minute walk from the train station though a little tricky to find even during the day.

I recommend that you check out Rick Steves' Florence book and see what appeals to you.

If you're only in Rome for 4 days, I wouldn't spend an overnight in Florence. You can do a lot in a day if you get an early train there and come back late. As others have said, everything is located in pretty close proximity.

I am looking for any recommendations how to plan 1-day trip to Florence. Is it possible to do it in one day? How far is a walk between a train station and Uffizi galleries?

Thanks,

TD

Hello, I am Italian. I'm an architect and I lived 10 years in Florence. So, the train station Santa Maria Novella is very central, 5 minutes walk you will see the Cathedral with Brunelleschi's Dome (do not miss the view!) And Giotto's bell tower. Uffizi Gallery are within 10 minutes. I suggest you after the visit to the Uffizi, a walk on the Ponte Vecchio, very characteristic with the shops of goldsmiths and take you to the magnificent Pitti Palace with its beautiful Renaissance garden of Boboli. Besides the "Galleria dell'Accademia" where retained the David of Michelangelo, I suggest to see the Medici Chapels, also designed by Michelangelo and of which there are many of his statues. In short, Florence is very very very beautiful ... one day is too little to be able to see the enormous artistic patrimony which houses! If you need more info, you can contact me. I will be happy to help you.

You are welcome in Italy.

Thanks,

TD

THANKS TO ALL FOR EXCELLENT RECOMMENDATIONS!

TD

If you need more info, you can contact me. I will be happy to help you.

Hi, we will be in Florence for three days but one of those days will be May 1st. I know most things are closed for the holiday and we are not bothered by spending the day looking at the exteriors of all the beautiful buildings. We just wonder if anything will be open - - churches? restaurants? stores?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I'm enclosing the link of the site of the main museums (there is also in English) and you will see yourself opening hours, days of closure and the cost of tickets.

http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it

I think May 1st here in Italy (it's Labor Day) is closed almost everything. I think the churches are open, the Cathedral with Brunelleschi's Dome, Giotto's bell tower, the church of Santa Croce (very beautiful), the Church of San Lorenzo - are all of Brunelleschi. That day might also take advantage to see even the tiny chapel where Dante saw Beatrice (Divina Commedia) and the Piazzale Michelangelo, which offers a splendid view of the city from above (can be reached by city buses) and still there is the church of San Miniato al Monte (fantastic view from up there). That day, enjoy a walk in the old town, every corner is steeped in history, churches, palaces, statues, etc.. The restaurants are sure to be open and think they are also the ones most tourist shops of the historic center.

You'll see, Florence will enchant you!

(I hope it is able to understand me, my English is not good:D)

You did great! I could never communicate that well in another language.

Thank you for the information. At first I was a little disappointed that we would be in Florence on the holiday but now I'm excited that we can explore the city. I have bought two books on Michelangelo in preparation for this trip so that day will give us the chance to focus on his architecture.

Oh, and I'll be very happy if some shops are open, that will be a nice treat.

I would second the suggestion of spending one night in Florence. It is magical at dusk and we find the city looks very different at night. You could in fact spend the last day/ night in Florence, then take the train to the port in the morning....an early AM train to Rome, switch trains, and then take the local train directly to the port.

I agree, Florence at sunset is magic! It is worth visiting at Piazzale Michelangelo, and see the view from the hill. The trains to Rome has every 30-45 minutes and with the trains "Frecciarossa" the journey takes about 1 hour 45 minutes. Happy holidays!

Instead I will be in Miami between 20 days and then leave for a cruise in the Caribbean!

I'm enclosing the link of the site of the main museums (there is also in English) and you will see yourself opening hours, days of closure and the cost of tickets.

http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it

I think May 1st here in Italy (it's Labor Day) is closed almost everything. I think the churches are open, the Cathedral with Brunelleschi's Dome, Giotto's bell tower, the church of Santa Croce (very beautiful), the Church of San Lorenzo - are all of Brunelleschi. That day might also take advantage to see even the tiny chapel where Dante saw Beatrice (Divina Commedia) and the Piazzale Michelangelo, which offers a splendid view of the city from above (can be reached by city buses) and still there is the church of San Miniato al Monte (fantastic view from up there). That day, enjoy a walk in the old town, every corner is steeped in history, churches, palaces, statues, etc.. The restaurants are sure to be open and think they are also the ones most tourist shops of the historic center.

You'll see, Florence will enchant you!

(I hope it is able to understand me, my English is not good:D)

Thank you for this excellent post. As an American who has not only visited Italy several times; but also lived there 3 years, it is extremely accurate. Florence is indeed an enchanting city. I met my wife there 41+ years ago. Every trip to Italy must include Italy. Now I must see your home town.

Hello, I am Italian. I'm an architect and I lived 10 years in Florence. So, the train station Santa Maria Novella is very central, 5 minutes walk you will see the Cathedral with Brunelleschi's Dome (do not miss the view!) And Giotto's bell tower. Uffizi Gallery are within 10 minutes. I suggest you after the visit to the Uffizi, a walk on the Ponte Vecchio, very characteristic with the shops of goldsmiths and take you to the magnificent Pitti Palace with its beautiful Renaissance garden of Boboli. Besides the "Galleria dell'Accademia" where retained the David of Michelangelo, I suggest to see the Medici Chapels, also designed by Michelangelo and of which there are many of his statues. In short, Florence is very very very beautiful ... one day is too little to be able to see the enormous artistic patrimony which houses! If you need more info, you can contact me. I will be happy to help you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sciroccata,

What is the best and secure web site to use for ordering Uffizi gallery tickets? Do you have to be on time with the advance purchased tickets?

Thanks, TD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sciroccata,

What is the best and secure web site to use for ordering Uffizi gallery tickets? Do you have to be on time with the advance purchased tickets?

Thanks, TD

This is the official website of the State Museums of Florence (you can buy tickets online for several museums) . I think it's safer and from what I read, is the only official for-sale tickets online!!

http://www.b-ticket.com/b-ticket/uffizi/venue.aspx

When you go to Florence?

Dear GSPLover, thank you for the nice words. You wrote that you have to see my home town. You refer to my Lecce?

Thank you for this excellent post. As an American who has not only visited Italy several times; but also lived there 3 years, it is extremely accurate. Florence is indeed an enchanting city. I met my wife there 41+ years ago. Every trip to Italy must include Italy. Now I must see your home town.

Dear GSPLover, thank you for the nice words. You wrote that you have to see my home town. You refer to my Lecce?

When I wrote that I had heard of your town and new approximately where it was. The most sothern city I have been to on the East coast of Italy is Bari. I looked it up on google maps and saw some photos. Now I have added it to my places to visit in Italy. When you go to your city on google maps, there is a video link on the sidebar for a video - "Video dedicato alla meravigliosa terra salentina, da Brindisi a Lecce, da Leuca a Taranto!". Beautiful!!

Great! I live right there in the Salento to Leuca deep south! My land is beautiful and rich in history, because we were the land of Arabs, Byzantines, Greeks and Romans. A mix of cultures! Lecce is a beautiful city, called the "Florence of the South" ... and then we have a spectacular sea! Search in Google "Porto Cesareo"or "Otranto" and you'll see! If you decide to come here, let me know if I can help, I'll be very happy! :):):)

When I wrote that I had heard of your town and new approximately where it was. The most sothern city I have been to on the East coast of Italy is Bari. I looked it up on google maps and saw some photos. Now I have added it to my places to visit in Italy. When you go to your city on google maps, there is a video link on the sidebar for a video - "Video dedicato alla meravigliosa terra salentina, da Brindisi a Lecce, da Leuca a Taranto!". Beautiful!!

Great! I live right there in the Salento to Leuca deep south! My land is beautiful and rich in history, because we were the land of Arabs, Byzantines, Greeks and Romans. A mix of cultures! Lecce is a beautiful city, called the "Florence of the South" ... and then we have a spectacular sea! Search in Google "Porto Cesareo"or "Otranto" and you'll see! If you decide to come here, let me know if I can help, I'll be very happy! :):):)

I followed your advice and did a couple of Google searches. Now I am seriously rethinking plans for next spring. Click on the train link in my sig line, there is an email link.

I followed your advice and did a couple of Google searches. Now I am seriously rethinking plans for next spring. Click on the train link in my sig line, there is an email link.

GSP, a good friend of mine spent a week in Lecce in October and loved it. She really enjoyed the B&B she stayed in: http://www.casadeimercanti.it/home_en.aspx

Archived