Your Best suggestions for our cruise?

Momma Mojito

After some thought, we have booked an Alaskian Cruise....Diamond Princess.... Whittier to Vancouver....May 15th Please tell us what you feel is the most important thing that we should see or do in each port. My husband wants to do a train ride, where can we do that? And any other suggestions on what to bring with us. Thank you in advance

I'm assuming you are arriving just prior to your cruise?? IF you have a couple days prior, then the Anchorage/Seward train is excellent, along with superb touring activities available out of Seward.

Otherwise, the White Pass Railroad out of Skagway is a "must". Loaded with history, superior scenery- will have plenty of snow at the summit, narrow gage.

Look over your shore excursion list and narrow down your interests for your other ports.

You need warm attire, lined jacket, layers, knit hat, gloves, 2 pair of walking shoes, rain gear.

We are on the same cruise, so be sure to sign in on cruisecritic on our ship. Anyways, the white pass railroad is a great excursion for all ages, plus you have a choice of round trip on the train, one way and back by van, or other options. I have done the simple round trip one twice. If you like whale watching, then think about booking that one as well. Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier will be the highlight of this cruise, so plan on getting up early, put on warm clothes(bring a hat and gloves for sure) and spend some time outside up on the top of the ship. If it is raining, you can go outside on deck 7 and be protected too. You will be awed by the sights in Alaska.:eek:

The Diamond Princess is wonderful!

My recommendation for Alaska is to go whale watching. Out of Juneau is fabulous. This board has lots of recommendations for tour operators that are independent of the cruise line and will save a few bucks.

skagway=- train ride= on your own or thru the ship.. walk around town . .have dinner near the dock at the a fish restuarant.

juneau- mendenhall glacier, tram if weather is good, beer factory, whale watching- grab some food at twisted Fish and sit on yuor balcony with a drinmk and watch the ship sail away.

-

Ketchikan- flightseieng and crab feast, totem poles etc

add extra days to Vancouver too.. great city

Thanks for all your suggestins I will let you know what we decide Keep them coming so far they all sound just what we will enjoy doing. We are planning on arriving in Anchorage on either Wednesday of Thursday before the cruise so the train ride they might be an option.

Please keep you suggestion coming

Archived